• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

So, Anyone Heard The New Van Halen Album Yet?

todd richman

I loved every preview track I heard. It has the old school vibe of a VH record. Good for them to come back strong. Looking forward to the tour.

paulscape

Been listening to it last two days. Loving it. It's good but realistically not unbelievable. However many songs grow on you and 'in the fullness of time' I ignore the bad and dig the good. Irrelevant of the resolution of some clips vs CD there are still some short comings particularly with roths vocals and the mix/mastering but we have to remember he may not have been fully part of the recording process with Eddie, alex and wolf. His vocals do sound like they were added later (not an easy task if true) and I personally think it's fair to critique the mix and Ed's saturated tone on some songs. But full credit still has to go to Roth for pulling many things together. Its just great they are playing together again - it's very inspirational. There is alot of 'new' van halen mixed in with the old - a tone of surprises. I can't fault them overall - the world spins again and Roths mantra of 'it's inevitable we'll get back together' came true. Make no mistake he is a smart guy. Make no mistake Eddie rips on guitar in ways he couldn't when he was younger, wolf brings so much energy and alex....well he is carving it up as always. Forget expectations - enjoy the music.

Last edited:

binge

I love Ed's tone on "Beat's Workin'". It's quite heavily saturated but sounds awesome, great song too. The main riff is classic Ed. I personally don't think the album sounds as live as their earlier stuff, which is what I personally would have liked to have heard, but times and technology have changed massively.

Lukeling

I'm listening to it right now at home with a few mates & beers & they are all blown away . Man it's like a time machine! i've been grinning for hours, I work in a music shop & have heard it cranked a few times & I am blown away

:bow

ssites

I'm listening to it right now at home with a few mates & beers & they are all blown away . Man it's like a time machine! i've been grinning for hours, I work in a music shop & have heard it cranked a few times & I am blown away

:bow
How are you guys listening to it when it isn't released until next week? Or am I missing something??!!

V-Type

How are you guys listening to it when it isn't released until next week? Or am I missing something??!!
Certain Industry folks get early pressings.
Music stores,radio stations,etc.....
Its been pressed and done waiting for shipment since Dec.

Funky54

I have heard 5 tracks so far! Its great!! It doesnt have to be there best album of all time to still be a great album. I cant believe all the party pooper Ney Seyers out there ripping on it. Its great.

binge

I have heard 5 tracks so far! Its great!! It doesnt have to be there best album of all time to still be a great album. I cant believe all the party pooper Ney Seyers out there ripping on it. Its great.
It is great! I love it.

It sounds like classic Van Halen IMO. You're gonna get people saying it's not original and formularic etc. If they made an ultra-modern sounding album people would complain it doesn't sound like classic Van Halen.

Lukeling

I am in Australia mate ! Came out today & I am blown away. Have always been a fan of the DLR years & this stands with those albums. That is a huge result. Love it !!

paulscape

It makes Chickenfoot sound like Enya.
Sammy said something about a lack of creativity and rehashing old tunes - let me tell you satriani rehashed many solos and licks and Sammy many montrose dynamics in CF and in a critical sense CF wrote safe 3 chord wonders. VH ADKOT pisses all over that crap of 'I need a job'. The longway IS the short way and VH took the long way, CF took the short (tequila shot) way. So much more inspirational guitar in VH's new album than CF. Case closed.

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
i just heard the cd and really liked it a lot. i have no problem with them using old riffs and songs since that was the most creative period for VH. eddie and and alex sound great and wolfgang is playing his ass off. roth sounds good but sounds strained in his upper register. most of the material is good to very good with only 2 clunkers imo (stay frosty and tatoo). this is by far the best thing they've released since 1984.

Trending Topics