So Apparently We've Never Had It Better, But What Would You Change??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thorpy6, May 18, 2015.

1. thorpy6

thorpy6 Member

According to lots of magazine articles/blogs/ conversations with guitarists etc we as a breed of musicians have never had it better. There appears to be a sound, look and flavour of pedal for just about every mood.

Despite this saturation I personally feel that things can be done better, (which is why I launched my own brand) however what do you think? have we reached a pinnacle or is there something about pedals that still really grinds your gears? I'm taking in the round if that helps, I'm not expecting brand assignation here...

2. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I'm pretty happy with everything available, really. I would like to see mainstream pedals without rubber bottoms. I would also like to see Boss release more Waza pedals

Kestrel likes this.
  3. thorpy6

thorpy6 Member

can't disagree on that one, I'd love to see a WAZA DS-1 and maybe a CE-2 too

Kestrel likes this.
  4. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

Pedals, in general I think we're good. In the land of digital we're a few steps away IMHO.

With digital multi effects we need to be able to configure 6-9 pedals in series or parallel. This needs to be available at the $175 and below range.

Boss and Digitech amp models have a certain sound to them. It's about time they fixed that.

HD was a big mistake for Line6 and the pod. But there are rumblings of something better coming down the line.

5. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

We are unbelievably spoiled =]
    Only a couple small details missing, like a PLL clone that matches the original, some clones of G.S Wyllie stuff etc just a revival of our beloved wildcards we lost.
    Then at that point, we'll just about have it perfect and it's back to making music. If anything we need to start showing some modesty =]

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  6. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

Nice pedal BTW!

thorpy6 likes this.
  7. thorpy6

thorpy6 Member

:) thanks very much!1

8. BetterMeThanYou

BetterMeThanYou Member

pretty much everything is perfect...but i think things should be less perfect...isn't it funny as things have become more perfect, musicians have started to look for more trash and junk in their sound trying to find pedals that sound like they're on a dying battery or getting into fuzz or getting into all kinds of random vintage pedals all over again that people already gave up for something better...so someone should make more pedals with unexpected results that sound somehow different every time you play them

9. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Member

What? We need new stuff, not old designs built to sell.

10. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Supporting Member

Imagine being able to manipulate sound in 3D. Push here, pull there, twist here. What is the tone of an arcing motion from corner to corner in a 3D space?

That's what I want.

11. warren3333

warren3333 Gold Supporting Member

Thorpy,

An interesting thread... I think that there is a HUGE amount of variety out there, BUT two things stand out for me personally;

1. There is a lot of hype out there, and a lot of duplicate pedals and sounds
    2. There are always new avenues to be found

For example, I love the Catalinbread approach to adding some forum of clipped OD to delays and reverbs. The Talisman, whilst looking very ordinary, is one of THE best pedals Ive ever tried.

So, more innovation for me. More new stuff.

For example, I really love the look of the new Thorpy FX range...

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Sociophile and thorpy6 like this.
  12. Pizzaking

Pizzaking Member

I'd like to see companies spend more time in the research & development stage in order to eliminate the need for so many updated versions of the same pedal. I can understand that designers learn new ways of doing things and also they may run out of components. However, some companies seem to revise their circuits and/or add new features to a pedal too quickly after release. This makes me feel like the initial buyer is the beta tester and the product wasn't fully tested/developed by the company before release.

thorpy6 and DutchGuitarDude like this.
  13. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Member

Nobody listens to us. That's fine, too.

thorpy6 likes this.
  14. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

I think pedal builders should take some more time in choosing the right materials before releasing an endless stream of pedals. It's beyond me that a company like tc can get away with those switches for instance....

Able Grip likes this.
  15. thorpy6

thorpy6 Member

They don't feel the best, I don't know what the quality is like in the long run but as humans we are quite tactile, smoothness is appreciated

16. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

TC switches are really cheap, but the real problem is they don't repair their pedals. They charge you to ship the pedal to them, then throw away your pedal, then charge you almost retail for the "repair" and ship you a new pedal. So you have to buy a new pedal when the $2 TC Electronics switch breaks. That is their policy, and the way they work.

17. kowalski440

kowalski440 Member

a banana republic run by an orange monkey
    I'd change prices for used gear. Especially the old stuff.
    Other than that, we are indeed spoiled. Great time to be a musician. Awesome.

18. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I think it is limitations that allow you to get on with making music. The search for the perfect tone amongst endless overdrive units etc is folly -- you need to make a decision to go with something at some point and just get on with writing, playing and moving forward. Effects pedal flipping is naval gazing. I'm moving to Boss multi effects and selling up everything.

thecornman and thorpy6 like this.
  19. thorpy6

thorpy6 Member

FWIW heres what I'd change:

• Chinese made 100% clones of circuits that people have spent a lot of time developing should be shunned, its a travesty that people like MI Audio, Wampler, Xotic and Fulltone have had their circuits turned into mass produced fakes. I'm not saying cloning of circuits is bad (hell thats how lots of people start including myself), I'm just saying the industrialisation and selling them as copies is terrible and could ultimately stifle innovation.
    • Quality above all else should be the mantra of pedal builders, its not enough to sound good- it needs to be well engineered too.
    • There needs to be some good honest ethics about how you conduct your business, treat others as you'd like to be treated.

analogmike likes this.
  20. radicool

radicool Member

There are so many devices out there that I couldn't possibly try them all. And the more I think about that, and the pile of pedals I rarely use, the more I realize that I don't want to try them all. It's a beautiful thing to have the choices we do; we have it very good. But I've started to notice that I have 12 - 15 pedals that I really like, use, and wouldn't part with. And, though the rest of 'em are cool to have for various reasons - I don't play them.

Lolaviola likes this.