1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

So as not to hijack the 80s chorus post

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by swinginguitar, May 19, 2011.

1. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

...what is a readily available alternative to the 80s shimmer chorus like the Arion or CE-2?

Any of these?:
    Hardwire Chorus
    Corona Chorus
    Any of the EHX stuff?
    Nova Modulator?

2. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Danelectro Cool Cat 18v

these are out of production but pop up cheap here
    Incredible chorus

3. fellsilver

fellsilver Member

What kind of tone do you mean by "alternative" to 80's shimmer? Dark, lush, and leslie-ish? 90's "alternative" chorus tones?

When I think of such a "dark" Chorus, I tend to think of "Eighties" by Killing Joke, actually :)... doesn't get much more 80's than that, though.

4. ShavenYak

ShavenYak Member

And then you think of "Come As You Are", right?

I've heard Cobain used a Small Clone for that, but have no idea what KJ used (could be a Clone too, the tone sounds at least as similar as the riff).

5. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

To clarify - I want the sound of the 80s shimmer a la Arion, but in a readily available product...

EDIT: some tweakability would be nice....

6. fellsilver

fellsilver Member

Then please pardon my misunderstanding!

So you're looking for a shimmery, CE-2-ish sound-- I'd suggest the Jacques Meistersinger in that case.

Lush, shimmery analog chorus sounds plus added tweakability. The "mix" knob really opens up a lot of possibilities on that pedal. My favorite shimmery chorus is a Boss CE-3 (note: 3, not 2) run at 12v. The Jacques is a close second.

@ The Shaven Yak (btw, my favoritist holiday gift giver of all time-- the scum was perfect; you must have got my letter): Come As You Are is definitely the standard, but oddly enough I was thinking of the Smashing Pumpkins' "Rhinoceros"... also an EHX product though. In SP's case, I'm pretty sure it was an original, non-deluxe Electric Mistress. The Small Clone will get you darned close to that kind of chorus.

7. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

8. monty

monty Member

^^
    While it actually made me retire my CE2 after over 20 years on the board, the MC doesnt nail that sound right on, but it is a great pedal.

9. andjar

andjar Member

af all the current production digital chorus pedals ,the one that sounds closest to the great ones of the 80's... to me , is the danelectro cool cat chorus

10. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

Micro Chorus sounds good, but tweakability might be an issue. Also, at one time I had the Micro Flanger and it sounded great, but the volume boost drove me to madness...does the MC do that?

The local GC is getting a TC Corona in Monday that I'm gonna check out. Wondering if the Tri chorus mode is close. Plus they advertise that the chorus algorithm is inherited from the SCF...

11. tomuchroc41gtr

tomuchroc41gtr Supporting Member

Not sure if the price is a deal-breaker or not but the Red Witch Empress chorus is fantastic. It has the warm analog goodness, ability to control the pre-delay or "wetness" of the chorus, and a bright switch for your shimmer tones! I've seen them go used on here for $190. Can't beat it.

12. arielxl

arielxl Member

How about TC SCF?;)

13. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

That's a great song.