so can a fulldrive be modded to use boost independently??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by re-animator, Mar 30, 2008.

1. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

well?? I just sold my clean boost pedal, and I need another one. I always liked the sound of the fulldrive (one of the most ac30-friendly overdrives out there :AOK), but i'd love to kill two birds with one stone.

is there any way to mod the FD2 so that the clean boost can be used without the OD?? I mean I suppose I could set the OD to 0 and use it that way.... but humor me.

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Nope. The "boost" feature in the FD2 is not a separate boost circuit, but more of a switchable extra gain setting of the overdrive circuit. Without any Spinal Tap references :D, think of it as an additional gain control that adds 11-20 on top of the 0-10 of the first gain knob.

/Andreas

3. re-animator

mmmmmm..... So is anyone running the FD2 as a clean boost on its own?? I know its supposed to be a 100% clean boost with the drive at 0 and controls at noon, but thats what fulltone said about the OCD, and i wasn't too impressed.

4. re-animator

actually, now i'm getting the idea of using it as a 2-stage clean boost... maybe set it to a clean sound w/ comp-cut as an "always on" and use the "boost" for solos.

5. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

hi,
    no the boost feature in the fulldrive can not be modded to be seperate. This is because it's not a seperate circuit that is boosting the TS side, but a switch that changes the structure of the gain on the TS side.

Take Care,
    Ryan Fardy

6. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

This is a good idea, I used it like this for years.

7. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Yes, it sounds real sweet that way! Myself, I really like the pedal quite a bit, and one of these days I may take a drill to one, and put a booster cicuit and switch into it. There seems to be enough room for another switch on top as well as being roomy enough inside to allow a boost to reside within.
    Best Regards!

8. re-animator

yeah, i just sold my sparkle drive, so i'm in need of another boost/od.... so a FDII will probably land on a pedalboard near me.

9. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

If you are using a strat, you coud install an Alembic Blaster. It' a great clean boost and can be turned on by your picking hand via a jack plate mounted toggle. It installs in 10-15 minutes.