So...d-type loops...very confusing!

So i am ready to take the plunge into the D-type world of amps...yes i know, i know.
I have it narrowed down to a 50 watt HRM model, but now i am even more confused about the loops and loop devices!!!

I always play with reverb and a delay. and from time to time Chorus. i just spent the whole day reading on loops and buffers and now i am lost...do i need a loop or something that is just line level? like a nova system?

i have a nova delay and a nova modulator, i think that they would work ok. but i want to add a reverb.
i guess i would have to add some sort of device to tie it all together.

sheesh just when i thought i had it all figured out! i dont know what route to go now, try with out anything or just order a buffer along with the amp. the idea of another unit does not excite me.

insert crying baby sound bite here....

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
It's simple, if you want to use the loop on a fairly accurate Dumble-clone, you need a dumbleator clone too.

GasMask

There are several D-style builders who add a buffered loop to the amp, so no D-lator is needed for them. A D-lator (external buffered loop) can also be used to tame the volume, and affect the tone, in addition to interfacing with effects- so a built in loop is not quite the same. Some rack effects units work well with non-buffered loops, and even some pedals will also. I've used an old analog delay pedal in a non-buffered loop, and it works well. It really depends on the unit though. You should talk with the builder. Built in buffered loops are really nice for playing out though. I have one D-style amp, and another on the way (2 different builders), and both have buffered loops.

It seems like a buffer is unavoidable, I am going with a ceriatone so I will check out his or maybe a verbrator .

Meh....what's another couple hundred at this point!

ProfRhino

it's important to understand that unlike with many other amps the main loop compatibility issue is not level - requirements are pretty moderate in fact.
D-styles want to see a really high input impedance at the send - e.g. a TC HoF (1MΩ) works pretty well without a buffer, a G-Major (13kΩ) absolutely needs buffering even though it is fully line level compatible.
Go figure ... :confused
A solid state Kleinulator does the job just fine however, fully transparent, easy to DIY too.
I'd build / buy one of these and put the money you saved towards better speakers or a good set of tubes, makes more of a difference ime.
ymmv,
Rhino

Btw, with a bit of creative planning you can fit a G-Major (front, bottom), a Kleinulator and a 19" patch panel (back) into the stock headshell, very stage friendly, Midi switching of the amp inclusive. :cool:
You might want to add a small fan though to keep the tubes cool ...

slowth

Is running a standard buffer pedal after/before the pedals to be put in a loop the same as getting a D-Lator specific buffer?

DRS

Why wouldn't every Dumble builder give one the option of a built in buffered loop? The last thing I'd want is to be hooking up one more outboard piece of kit.

Trending Topics