So...did BOSS just make a Power Station?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratpaulguy86, Jan 25, 2019.

1. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Whoa, thought this sounded really cool... but for that price I think they might have a hard time competing with Fryette for lots of people around here.

2. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

The speaker receives both the FX Loop and the onboard delay and reverb.

This does more than the Ox and PS2 put together, for the same price as the Ox. So, there's definitely a market.

RingoBingo, Hamer95USA, Kriig and 5 others like this.
  3. Alton

Alton Member

It appears that out of the box it's already more impressive than OX in it's capabilities PLUS you have built-in FX/GAFC or midi control for both basic functions AND FX.

Yeah, the price is a little stiff but considering you are essentially buying a 100w amp it's really not too far-fetched.

mody and Kriig like this.
  4. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

I didn't saw this demo posted in this thread yet, I think it is the best one regarding the unit, and like PaisleyWookie said above, the effects are going to speaker out, as is the effect loop. Seems very promising. If, like me you would only use it for the attenuator/effect loop, not sure it's worth it, but still, seems like a great unit loaded with tons of possibilities.

5. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

Im glad they used a real amp for the demo, not the toy amps they make.

6. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

This is old news.

t-isdumb and davidespinosa like this.
  7. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

all the demos just came out this week, so still relevant. ;)

8. Dr Bonkers

Dr Bonkers Vendor

In the immortal words of @nicolasrivera , "this is a game changer!!!!"

This really is impressive. If I'm Universal Audio, I might be a little concerned about the OX after seeing these demos.

And there's all the tonal options of loading your favorite IR files and still having that reactive load feel of your amp added to them.

This is a work of art.

Tonekat, MaxTwang, Kriig and 3 others like this.
  9. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

Looks impressive. The direct sound in the Andertons video was underwhelming for me. But the rest of it sounded pretty good.
    News must age fast, because the product hasn’t even shipped yet.

10. gonzoknife

gonzoknife Member

As cool as this looks I was hoping they would offer it for under a grand. Not judging $1,300 but at that price it's well out of my reach. Maybe when they hit the used market....

Not Orange likes this.
  11. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Do a search, we've been talking about this for a while.

davidespinosa likes this.
  12. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

I’ve seen the threads.

13. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

DEAL BREAKER!!!!!! They used an SM57 for the demo so they are obviously hacks.

:sarcasm

LordByron likes this.
  14. poison7512

poison7512 Member

WELL the Power Station doesn't have FX. It doesn't have IRs/cab sims. It doesn't have a Boost. It can't switch your amp channels. No MIDI.

With that being said the Boss unit is going to be like $1200 US and has a solid state power section. I'll be getting a Power Station I think, unless the Waza TAE goes through a MASSIVE price reduction in its first year on the market (not likely)..

15. stickyFingerz

stickyFingerz Supporting Member

I understand the usefulness and appeal of these devices, but when they list in detail the extent of digital processing the signal is subjected to it makes me cringe.

Basically this is a modelling (re)amplifier that you connect an amplifier into, instead of a guitar. Like a Boss Waza amp Yamaha THX with additional gadgetry. I know these amps are all the rage now but they leave me cold.

I'm thinking about the DX7 and equivalent FM synthesizers of the 80s that made everybody dump their analog gear. At they time they thought digital would replace analog, but 20 years later the trend was reversed and it took another 10-15 years for the big companies to start producing analog synths again *.

I don't have a crystal ball I can predict the future with but I think the same is going to happen with these digital and "hybrid" devices. My amp and attenuator aren't going anywhere.

* With the exception of Roland that is still going digital all the way (their analog gear design (and manufacturing to a large extent) has been outsourced to companies such as Studio Electronics and Malekko. Roland actually shared their old development papers with outsiders because they don't have the intention of going back, if indeed they still have the skills.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  16. foxyguitars

foxyguitars Supporting Member

why on earth would I bypass my Marshall Plexi's EL34 power section and have a Boss 150w solidstate power section replace it ? this is going to be a great device for boring amps, but not a good solution for a vintage amp...

Nuclear Plexi and Kelly like this.
  17. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

You're not bypassing your amps power amp using one... It will be a great solution for vintage amps if the power section is good.

Aquinas, Corvid, averde and 8 others like this.
  18. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

It seems you missed the whole point of the unit. It’s designed to be used with the amp cranked so you can get the sound and response of a cranked power section. You wouldn’t even be able to bypass the power section, not without another product to use as a speaker load and an amp with a line out. And that still wouldn’t be using this Boss box as intended.

Tonekat and Bluesful like this.
  19. zimlen

zimlen Member

Maybe your 50/100W Marshall is too loud for most applications?

Anyway, you don’t bypass your power section. These devices take the speaker out of your tube amps, tap a line level signal, send to the rest to load, and re-amp to your required volume. This one does a bunch of other things too.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  20. foxyguitars

foxyguitars Supporting Member

you are right, I expressed myself wrong, I meant: the speaker is then powered by a solid state amp, correct?