So...do we know who were the ones that Dumble refused to build amp for ?

canadabay

i recently read somewhere that Dumble insisted on knowing the music that his customers were making in order to customise that particular amp to a customer

...and that, in some cases, he would refuse a customer based on his guitar sound from those materials he would listen to...or his music !

while i find it funny that there was a 'amp nazi' akin to a 'soup nazi'...(no amp for you...one year !!!:waiting)...now im courious to find out who was refused ?

...or am i being to catty here ?:fisticuffs

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
i recently read somewhere that Dumble insisted on knowing the music that his customers were making in order to customise that particular amp to a customer

...and that, in some cases, he would refuse a customer based on his guitar sound from those materials he would listen to...or his music !

while i find it funny that there was a 'amp nazi' akin to a 'soup nazi'...(no amp for you...one year !!!:waiting)...now im courious to find out who was refused ?

Whats the point? Dumble wasn't the purveyor of taste and he was a pretty weird guy - friendly enough - but plenty wierd.

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
As an aside… I’ve heard rumors about a brother that’s handling the estate. Cloaking all circuits and intellectual property. Is there a validated story to this? I’ve only heard bits and pieces third or fourth hand.

canadabay

Whats the point? Dumble wasn't the purveyor of taste and he was a pretty weird guy - friendly enough - but plenty wierd.
there is no point built into that question...pure curiousity !

im not trying to build him into any kind of good or bad institution...if anything, im the first one to point out that SRV sounded like himself before, during and after Dumble collaboration...

...not implying that 'refused ones' were 'not worthy' even though he might've thought so...or just couldn't see himself helping them with his amps...

...reasons for refusals could've been fully legit and not based on personality or skill or ....

catsandstrats

There’s an old TGP thread somewhere that talks about Mayer and Bonamassa being refused. More about their approach than about their musical quality, if I recall correctly. Even that thread seemed to be based around rumors but it at least felt credible.

Two very polarizing names so I drop this knowing the mess it could cause. :wave

ross1shark

Silver Supporting Member
there is no point built into that question...pure curiousity !

im not trying to build him into any kind of good or bad institution...if anything, im the first one to point out that SRV sounded like himself before, during and after Dumble collaboration...

...not implying that 'refused ones' were 'not worthy' even though he might've thought so...or just couldn't see himself helping them with his amps...

...reasons for refusals could've been fully legit and not based on personality or skill or ....
It's a perfectly valid question. I've wondered about it before too. But Dumble did seem like an eccentric guy. I'm sure he was brilliant, but wouldn't be surprised to learn he kept a collection of eyelashes.

fjrabon

I believe all accounts were that he never told anybody they’d been refused. You just didn’t hear back. But because sometimes it would take him years to get back to people and say “I’m starting your build” you never REALLY knew.

It seems like it was more a priority list than outright refusal. Players he liked got priority. Those he didn’t he’d make you one “when he got around to it.”

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
I’m pretty sure Mayer got one anyway… and generally assume Bonamassa has at least one of everything vintage and/or desirable.

Buying one second hand is a wholly different thing than having him build one specifically for you… which was the point of the op, and how he typically worked.

Kurt L

Silver Supporting Member
Buying one second hand is a wholly different thing than having him build one specifically for you… which was the point of the op, and how he typically worked.
Doesn't seem to have hurt the resale any. You don't hear anyone complaining their Dumble wasn't built for them...

It's sad that people enabled that behavior and put up with him being so rude. However nice they are, it's not like he was the only guy on Earth who could build an amp.

BDUbs

Sounds catty to me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom