So do you Alchemist owners love your amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rod, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    Just wondering what Bogner Alchemist owners have to say about this amp... Certainly an interesting piece for the $$, but what about the tone???:phones?? or:jo??

2. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

It's funny I have seen equal reviews of this amp both bad and good. Personally I played one at GC last week and was underwhelmed. I was hoping for more gain.

3. alltweed

alltweed Member

Do a search at the main page for alchemist.

Also check you tube for bogner alchemist. This clip has a nice sample at 40 seconds into clip to 50 sec. Its more representative of the brighter lead tone I hear from this amp unlike most of the online clips that tend to be a tad muddled. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNbwvGJg3qU&feature=channel_page

Their appears to be good ones and bad ones. Bad ones could just be your typical POS on GC floor which has been abused. Next, I have found that changing all tubes to NOS and lowering my strat pickups yields exceptional low volume tone. Yet to be able to crank for high volume opinion.

The high gain channel requires more dimming IMO. This really comes down to the type of gain your looking for or used to...Most of the bad reviews I suspect just means this is not thier type of gain. I find it very musical if you know how to dial in good tone and can play with in its sweet spot. Its not a plug and play channel.

4. cradlefish

cradlefish Member

So far I've read 3 reviews from HC and two were very bad. I've heard clips of the Alchemist on youtube. Some are pretty good and some not so. I like to hear it in a live band where the guitarist doesn't just solo the entire time.

5. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Got the head/2x12 cab and think it sounds great.

6. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

7. SamsDaddy

SamsDaddy Member

With the way I am playing in these vids it embarrasses me to post this, but here's a couple from a live gig with the Alchemist:

(NOTE: I have my BBE Soulvibe on throughout this song):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpexzym-oJM

And here's another from the same gig (no effects in on in this one, just using the Alchemist dirty channel and the built-in boost):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3P1MlnDAd4

I am still trying to decide if I like the dirty channel enough to use that, versus just boosting the clean channel (in crunch mode) with my Tube Screamer and/or Barber Direct Drive. I REALLY like the clean channel in crunch mode though. Time and more gigs will tell how I ultimately decide to best use the amp in combination with pedals, but no matter what it is a keeper for me.

8. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

I went to a GC close to my house and tried the Bogner and the Rebel, didn't like either. They were out in the open on the floor. Went across town over to the other GC that has an enclosed room and tied both again still not dice. They weren't bad, they sounded ok just didn't knock my socks off.

9. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

After about 4 months playing the head an 2x12 at home, practice and live. I still like it a lot. For me and what I like it has great clear tone, plenty of gain, and not one issue with it functioning.

That said, with all "reviews", real world and GC floor demo's, take them with a grain of salt. My advice is get one from a place that you are able to return it to and try it in your enviroment and see if it works for you. I can say without a doubt its an amp worth checking out.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  10. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

:agree 100%

11. Rod

thankx guys...

12. Satyrist

Satyrist Member

I don't own one, but i've spent a few hours on them and I like the amp. The knobs do feel a bit flimsy, but overall seems solid. I think many folks are mad because the Alchemist doesn't give them Bogner Ecstasy tone at a lower price. It has its own sound, and the overdrive is nastier and hairier sounding, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I've gotten some great sounds out of them, both clean and dirty.

13. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Im not trying to be confrontational but just want to give a perspective of a person who had the Alchemist sitting right next to an XTC Classic. Honest to goodness I had my Alchemist right next to my Bogner XTC Classic for well over two months and did many shoot outs mainly because I couldnt believe that the Classic didnt stomp the Alchemist. I was truly trying to justify what I had paid so much for the Classic. Other than the Alchemist being voiced a bit different, the Alchemsit wasnt any nastier or hairier sounding the the Classic. No way... no how, it had as good of quality of tone as the XTC but there is a voicing difference. The tone on both amps has that Bogner signature tone he is known for. In the end I didnt hear $2200 difference in the two so I sold the Classic.

14. KennethC

KennethC Member

I'm still loving my Alchemist since December. I am able to replicate a whole host of sounds (whether clean, slightly overdriven, pretty heavily distorted) that I hear in songs with the Alchemist, and tweak further to get tones that I like. :) the onboard delay and reverb efx rock as well!

15. normal ninja

normal ninja Member

I played around w/ the head & 2x12 at GC in spokane.

actually pretty satisfied w/ the range and verstaility.

nice metal amp too.

If you're going by tweed or fender clean sound you won't like it.

16. cfb25

cfb25 Member

I like mine (2x12)... At first I loved it.. Then the initial infatuation faded... I started to regret the purchase a little.. but then I thought back to all the other amps I've had.. (3 mesas, 2 fenders, 1 marshall, 2line6's, 1 line6/bogners)... And I realized, this is the happiest I've ever been with an amp.. I don't do the SUPER high gain, but I do like a nice thick chunk and a bubbly clean.. this amp gives it to me, I play with a fulltone OCD and a fulldrive and they really turn this amp into an all around monster, I can set the amp and pedals in a way so I've got 4 distinct and extremely usable channels...

The set-up I've ever played that I liked more than this amp was a set-up that was a dumble and a Mesa... (it was santana's recording rig)... but, when am I ever gonna own that rig...
    So for now, my alchemist wins...

CB

17. okbutjustonce

okbutjustonce Senior Member

A bit OT, but how is this amp as a pedal platform?

18. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ Member

I know it sucks to play stuff in a music store, but I did play one at GC & I thought it sucked. I'm sure you could dial in a decent blues/rock tone, but nothing more; & I might be pushing it with the Rock tone.

19. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

I got a 1x12 Alchemist combo about 6 weeks ago. I got the amp because I was looking for a versatile 1x12 tube combo at about the $1K price point. This fits the bill pretty good. No problems at all. Amp seems solid and performs well.

That said, I go back and forth with it mostly because I'm a fan of the Marshall EL34 / 6505 / KT88 type of tones. This is not a Marshall tone amp. It's kind of Fender / Mesa -ish in it's gain and tonal character. If I didn't know it was a 6L6 amp, I would have known after hearing it for 5 minutes.

For hard rock it's not a great sounding amp, but it does have great classic rock and blues tones in it. It can be tricky to dial in a good setting, so you need be patient and experiment a lot with the knobs and switches.

Bottom line for me, the amp does have some great tones in it and can sound pretty awesome depending on the type of music and mood I'm in. But for me, they're not the tones that I want most of the time. So, I like the amp, but I'm not loving it.

20. Rod

Thankx ejecta...Can you tell me what the voicing differences between the 2 amps were?? Did the Classic have more low mids?? Was it fuller sounding?? ....thankx