So, ever got grief for your pedalboard?

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
bit of background to this story. I'm a worship and arts pastor, and lead from electric almost all the time, which means I have a PT2 that's not like tetris'd in, but is full.

One of my bassists kind of makes snide comments about my spaceship, mostly because he (admittedly) is intimidated by it. We had a guest preacher one week whose family are longtime friends of our church community, and her son is a guitarist. He knew said bass player and was chatting with him, and then looked at my board and says (the only thing he says all day to me), "I've played almost all of these pedals. You don't need most of this stuff. You just need a good delay pedal and a good amp." at the time my board was a tuner, Bearfoot Pale Green comp, greer lightspeed, suhr eclipse, SA Nemesis, Meris M7, and an MC6 into a Suhr Bella :facepalm

nice to meet you too dude

ChromeCrescendo

Back 20 or so years ago when I was in a band - heavily influenced by U2, I had a Digitech 2120 Artist and a few pedals on a board. One of the metal dudes at the rehearsal space told the bass player in the band I was in that if I needed all those effects, that I couldn't play - the bassist replied "I guess you don't have any pedals?" - metal dude replied "Well, only distortion, wah and compression" - bassist replied "Well, that ends that discussion, call me when you play without any pedals"

Oinkus

People that don't know anything about gear have always made stupid drunken comments in bars to musicians. Those guys that follow the plug straight in philosophy can be amazingly obnoxious when criticizing on your useless gear. I have heard some snide remarks at impromptu jams from the players that had to watch and weren't allowed to play. People are funny creatures.

tobereleased

I don't tend to get much negativity beyond the "how do you even use all that" or "why do you even need all that" the latter of which is usually pretty quickly defused when I tell them I don't need all that, and that my board is that big simply because pedals are fun.

When I get the "how" question I like to respond with "well, you don't need a PhD in electrical engineering to understand how it all works, but I do happen to have a PhD in electrical engineering anyway."

Edoardo_P

I don't tend to get much negativity beyond the "how do you even use all that" or "why do you even need all that" the latter of which is usually pretty quickly defused when I tell them I don't need all that, and that my board is that big simply because pedals are fun.

When I get the "how" question I like to respond with "well, you don't need a PhD in electrical engineering to understand how it all works, but I do happen to have a PhD in electrical engineering anyway."
Then what they say about PhDs is true

NB_Terry

The singer in my band gives me a hard time when I just bring my OD pedal and a tuner, rather than the pedalboard with the delay and chorus on it..

This is just at our rehearsal space. Gigs I bring the board..

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
Income and amount spent on gear doesn't always corelate.
also seen plenty of guys with expensive rigs and few to no pedals and lots of guys that have cheap rigs with lots of pedals or heavy reliance on cheezy multi effects pedals.

i think it is more often just a question of aesthetics and preference that people dig in and tussle over needlessly. guys with lots of pedals often times have an inferiority complex and act like they need to justify their big boards and guys who plug straight in sometimes have a superiority complex and act like they are the gatekeeping purists of guitar.

Adam1578

I've been on the opposite end of things, having a small board (despite being able to "afford" a larger one). I've had band people kind of be like "oh..." when they see my board. Sure I can't do every mod effect or volume swell but I can cover a lot of ground with 5 pedals. I think it may have negatively impacted my role only because I didn't have all the toys versus other guys who may not be able to play as well, but have more effects. But maybe not