So Fender 50's Esquire...tell me about it

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by el nino, Feb 21, 2012.

1. el nino

el nino Member

so this guitar is something i wanted to buy a few times but there just wasn't a good time to do it,but a shop here can order me one in a couple of days delivery time so i need to make up my mind should i pull the trigger or not?bear in mind that i've never played one...

i would like to use it with probably little more distorsion then that guitar usually is used with...think of going straight in the marshall jmp with more gain then the stock amp comes with (like dean deleos sound or slash),we're talking about real hard rock tone and i just want to know if that guitar is capable of producing good lead and rytham sound?and i don't use drive pedals,just delay and vox wah.

so what are the general things i need to know about this guitar (does it stay in tune,should i upgrade the electronics etc.)?
    i want to get mexican esquire,and since they need to order one i don't have the possibility to try it first or to try a few esquires and then pick the best out of the bunch,so help a guy out here ;)

2. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I had 2 of them, trans blonde (white) and tobacco burst. The white one was my main guitar for over a year. I upgraded the electronics on that one (Duncan Broadcaster and Champtone wiring kit). I highly suggest doing so if you plan on using it with lots of distortion. Stock, they're ok but nothing to write home about, IMO. Mine sounded KILLER after the mods. I did the "Eldred" mod so the "neck" position became less bassy and more like a cocked wah. Got many compliments of the tone and looks of that guitar.

Mine was rock-solid for tuning stability and playability. I really liked the feel of the neck shape. It's got some heft to it. Not a baseball bat, but not a twig, either. They've got small vintage frets, and although they can be tough to get under for bends higher on the neck, I really enjoyed how you can move and slide with them. Big fan of the Kluson tuners, also. Oh, and I also had brass saddles on the white one, and it did seem to mellow the tone a bit.

I will say that my two Esquires had vastly different weights. The blonde one was probably 7lbs max, while the sunburst one had to be at least 9lbs.

So, I would suggest trying one out, and upgrading the electronics for certain.

[​IMG]

3. el nino

el nino Member

thanks for your reply,the thing is i just instantly become insecure about buying stuff i can't even try first,also i had bad experiance with made in mexico strats...

that said i always loved the tones rich robinson gets with his esquire...and it's probably the tones i would also like to get,but as i said i just don't want to buy a guitar that has tuning or intonation problems so i wanted to know from the guys who have one are they mostly good with not going out of tune and for rockier stuff,cause finding a tech where i live is a problem

4. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

I've had a few 50s Classic Teles. Some I did the Esquire mods to and some I left stock. Great guitars. I liked the Duncan Broadcaster and brass saddles on mine also.

Only thing I didn't like was the thick finish.

5. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

I tried a MIM sunburst esquire in a store a few years ago. I liked the huge neck and the natural sustain it had. The big neck was surprisingly comfortable to play on. I've been meaning to buy one ever since.

6. el nino

el nino Member

thats also one of the things that i wanted to know,can esquire sustain?
    obviously it's not a gibson,but non the less is it good for solos?
    i mean a little fight out of the guitar is good,but not too much... :)

7. jmonk99

jmonk99 Supporting Member

I've had a MIM Esquire in black that was very nice. I bought it used on Ebay for $400 and it was upgraded with a Glendale bridge and saddles and a Don Mare Super Sport p/u. It ROCKED!! Like a fool I sold it so now I'm in the process of building a toploader Esquire.

And YES!! They sustain for days. It has to do with not having the neck pickup.

8. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I have one and it just smokes...I swapped out the stock pickup for an OC Duff custom 56 wind upgraded the caps and put a differnet set of saddles on it and even at that I'm in it at a great price. It's well worth twice what I have in it!

9. Butterscotch

Butterscotch Member

Really good guitars! I've had two, a sunburst and a white. They sounded good, even without mods! Weights are a bit variable, I think, so if ordering one, bear that in mind...if it's important to you!

10. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

Something to think about with sunburst MIM Teles is that they are all Alder bodies but to hide the glue hog body they laminate thin alder veneers on the front and back. That's usually why the sunburst ones weigh more. I have a sunburst MIM tele myself and it's kinda heavy but sounds awesome.

11. el nino

el nino Member

i was thinking of getting a white one...rich robinson style and the weight is not so important to me,also the size of neck is irrelevant cause i'm used to playing gibson 50s rounded so baseball bats i'm fine with ;) ,also i think i'll wait for two or three weeks with ordering one,cause a friend here in my town (we spoke yesterday about it) is opening guitar shop,so i may get 30% or something like that discount on different gear :)

12. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Lovely guitars, but you have to be able to get on with skinny, vintage-style frets, a tight radius fingerboard and slippery poly finish. Many people find vintage-style Fenders feel totally alien.

As for sustain in my opinion it's a much overrated attribute. Much of what you can coax out of a guitar is in the fingers.

13. el nino

el nino Member

well if esquire is anything like a vintage tele i tryed few years ago (think it was 72 or something like that) i will be extremely happy...and i'm talking about basic tele tones that i hear in esquire also.
    ...that said i'm going esquire route because i have read somewhere they are like telecasters on steroids...and that sounds like something right up my alley ;)

14. Brian

Brian Member

If you haven,t already ordered your esquire I suggest you check out MJT
    custom aged guitar kits,Mark&Matt Jenny can make you a a esquire to your
    specs that for my money,you just can,t find it involves some work on your
    part,but in the end you,ll have a guitar that will be jaw dropping good!!
    no fool,n man the left hand Esquire they put together for me at 1/4th
    the cost of a Fender custom shop just kills!! anyway good luck!