So... for a Dumble clone kit...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bob Simpson, May 10, 2008.

1. Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson Member

should I go Ceriatone or D'lite?

I've got the tools, knowledge and skills to assemble/mod either kit...
    It appears the money is similar...
    Parts quality?
    Buy USA?

Any ideas?

Bob Simpson

2. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

D-Lite. great sounding amp.

3. kodecar

kodecar Member

I have no experience with the Ceriatone but I really like my D'lite a lot.

4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

The Ceriatone seems to have mods needed,,,see Jack Zucker's posts

5. crosse79

crosse79 Member

You can go either way - both Ceriatone & D'lites are great amps. I have not tried D'lites before though - but base my thoughts on what other forumers say about it.

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Either amp can sound very good and either can be tweaked to suit personal preferences. Note that the original D'lite did not include the jazz/rock switch or footswitchable OD and PAB while the Overtone has both, and also has the second FET input like the real Dumble.

Owning both however, and being able to play them both side by side with various speakers and guitars, I have to say I prefer the Overtone by a wide margin. It simply sounds bigger, better, and smoother to my ears. This is comparing the latest tweaked D'Lite to the stock Overtone. YMMV of course.

Another TGP member who owned both has this to say:

7. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Not being a DIY guy when it comes to electronics, I based my decision on prices of finished amps and the various clips out there. The Ceriatone is what, half or less of what the D'lite is? They both sound like great amps, so you probably can't go wrong, but $3k+ vs $1k? Easy choice.

8. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

9. GP_Hawk

GP_Hawk Member

TGP=Get BOTH:D

Really, either one. Price can be a factor for some us though....

10. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Well, it depends.....do you also drive a Ford instead of a Toyota? What about clothing, TV, and home electronics? How consistent are you with this philosophy and do you let it override cost and performance considerations?

Sometimes it's about money....that extra $1000 is either going to go in your pocket or the amp builders pocket.

Sometimes it's simply about what amp you like the tone of most.....for example, I've owned several domestic built D clones, some costing literally triple what the Overtone did. I chose the Overtone based on performance alone.

Most of the time it's just a balance of all three considerations.:YinYang

11. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

12. NFB

NFB Senior Member

13. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Most including myself wouldn't know a Dumble if it fell on their foot . Go out and try some amps till you find something that has the sound you want .

Dumbles ....I get sick of hearing about the damn things :NUTS

14. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

+1000000000000000000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!!!!!!111!!1

15. PDXFactory

PDXFactory Member

Interesting...has anyone acutally compared the circuits and component values between the D'Lite and the Overtone? I was under the impression that they were both based on the same basic circuit - but based on Fullerplasts comments (and the quoted comment) it sounds like they may be significantly different.

I just bought an unassembled D'Lite 44 kit from another TGP forum member, so this is definitely of interest. I was checking out the Ceriatone site today, and they have a full schematic posted. I'm planning to do a little comparison once the kit arrives and I dig into it a little further...

16. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I have tried both and I have to say the D-Lite is wirth the extra scratch. Don't get me wrong, the Ceriatone is great, but the D-Lite is way better.

17. PDXFactory

PDXFactory Member

Can you expand on that a little? What did you like better about the kits? Are you talking component / build quality or tonal characteristics?

Thanks!

18. brownnote

brownnote Member

OK...see this is where the comparison is getting muddled...are we comparing kits to kits or production builds to production builds?

The Original Poster is asking for a comparison of "DUMBLE CLONE KITS"
    First off, the D'Lite is not a Dumble clone kit...it was originally offered as an alternative to 50/100W amps, stripped of seldom used, or "tone sucking "options, and designed to perform at home/recording/club level venues...getting into the sweet spot earlier and at a lower volume level than 50/100w amps.

Some of the differences in the KITS are:
    Smaller Footprint: the D'Lite platform is based on a 17" chassis vs. the full sized 19" Dumble, and in the case of the Overtone 19.25"
    Lighter Weight: The D'Lite 22/33 uses an output stage comparable to a Vibrolux (which makes it considerable lighter) vs. the heavier bassman/super/twin OT of a 50W/100W amp.
    It's designed to be a grab and go amp that doesn't require the use of a dolly to transport (don't laugh...not everyone's back can take it anymore) and will fit in the overhead compartment when traveling.
    Power Range: D'Lite 22/33w amp is suited for the home/recording/club level user.
    Simplified Design: removing the rock/jazz switch, deep switch, foot-switching components, FET input, etc. got rid of a bunch of parts and wire in the signal path and the result was surprising...extremely sensitive, dynamic and responsive even at very low volumes, no need for power attenuators, etc. Easier assembly for less experienced builders.

See this isn't accurate...here we're comparing production level factory built amps. Here's how the prices break down:
    Overtone: $1150 for built chassis w/head cab+$196 shipping= $1346
    D'Lite22/33: $2185+$40 flat rate shipping = $2225

The price difference is: $879

Sorry folks we can't compete with Ceriatone labor prices, but we do offer unlimited telephone consultation and support, will voice your amp exactly to your needs, and offer domestic factory direct warranty/repair 5yrs parts & labor.

When you get a D'Lite production amp, you don't get just an assembled kit, there are a lot of differences between the kits and the production amps.
    The kits are designed to be more affordable and use components comparable to just about 99% of all production amps out there.

Production amps use:

Chassis: Factory built amps use a different chassis of heavier gauge welded aluminum, powder coated and silk screened with stainless inserts.
    Transformers: multiple primary & secondary taps for international use (100v,120v,200v,220v,230v,240v) and power output selection (22w,33w) into 4-8-16 ohms...
    Components: high quality US made Sprague electrolytic caps (not Atoms), German F&T caps, PS series caps, High quality ceramic dipped caps, Kiwame resistors, Dale resistors, etc, etc...the components are selected foe tone and reliability regardless of cost.
    Tubes: matched power tubes, Tung-Sol, Winged-C, TAD, EH, all hand selected for performance and tone...it takes almost as long to tube it as it does to build it.

Getting back on topic (sort of) and comparing kits we have:

Ceriatone OTS kit: $650+$122=$772 (no tubes)
    Brown Note D'Lite 22/33 kit: $695+$25=$720 (tubes included)

OK not exactly...that price difference as show above is less than a thousand, it's $879.
    And yes it goes it goes into the builder's pockets, but not just the amp builder in California, but the:
    Chassis builder/Metal Shop located in California,
    Transformer builder located in Michigan,
    Parts Suppliers located in California, Texas, Arizona, Minnesota, New York, Missouri, Georgia, Illinois, Ohio, New Jersey, etc.
    So there you go, that money gets spread around quite a bit and I think that's worth recognizing.

BTW...this rant wasn't intended to be a sales pitch, just a more thorough overview in response to some of the statements being made.
    Thanks for taking the time to read it.
    Buy what you like.

Over and out.
    -Moss

19. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Member

Wow, the Gospel Blues and Carlton Tone clips on your site are amazing. Nice, airy atmosphere. Fantastic drummer, too. :)

20. trap

trap Supporting Member

very informative moss! thank you! and toyota's are made in america now, aren't they? LOL!