so GC will exchange my busted Lava cables?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vintage saddles, Jul 4, 2017.

1. vintage saddles

vintage saddles Member

Want to be sure before I make the 30-minute hike. I have two instrument cables that gave out around the same time. Bought them from GC in 2011 -- found the order receipt in my email.

2. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

Might be best to just call the store first?:dunno

Abram4235, Bluesful, 8len8 and 3 others like this.
  3. vintage saddles

vintage saddles Member

There you go offering logic and reason in response to my veiled attempt at luring someone into sharing in my complete frustration of having two $30-something cables go crap up at the same time.

But yeah, guess I'll call.

4. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Sorry to hear this.
    Tony here from Lava.
    They don't carry Lava in store so they will not. Please email me and I'll send replacements. Please send copy of receipt. Sales@lavacable.com

5. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

And there ya go. Customer service doesn't get much better than that.

dankmyers and sportycliff like this.
  6. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

Whaddya know? Your course of action turned out to be best!

7. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Lava's service is the best! Always contact them directly first, ime.

vintage saddles likes this.
  8. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Best would have been to email me first I guess. This is my last customer service assist though. I was let know Friday I'm just doing dealer sales now.

9. vintage saddles

vintage saddles Member

Appreciate the responses, Tony's especially. Intent wasn't to product bash. They're my favorite cables.

InAbsentia likes this.
  10. TheSpricket

TheSpricket Member

Killin it lava. I work for GC, we do not carry lava in store. I will add that GC will swap out any Livewire, Mogami, Fender, or D'Addario (Planet Waves) cables. That's every brand we carry except for Monster. You can do this WITHOUT A RECEIPT!! As long as they have the same cable in stock, same length, model, and tip.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  11. 8len8

8len8 Member

jnepo1 likes this.
  12. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Well, I have had two jack solder joints fail in ten years, and both times Lava sent me a brand new cable and didn't even hassle with having me send the damaged cable in. I am speaming from personal experience. I have 6 or 7 of their ELC cables, and about 25 solder free ELC patch cables. They have always been super responsive and professional.

13. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

most people after having cables fail would stop using that brand not brag about how helpful a company is re: their badly designed products.

to be clear all solderless cables are poorly designed. theyre a gimmick. it makes guys that aren't good with their hands feel like they are. solderless cables will fail, always, just a matter of when.

FbIsNotE likes this.
  14. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

I disagree on the guaranteed-to-fail. I'd venture to say that I have solderless cables that sound and last better than some decent quality soldered I've had. The Lava kits are less fiddly (technical term) than the George L's, but I've got 10 years with George L's with no live failures, and few failures at all. More an occasional glitch I notice when rewiring a board. I just snip, reconnect and install. Can't do that with soldered, though I am sure if you're good it does not take much longer. Horses for courses and all that.

15. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

@turtleheadblues Your inbox is full. But I am hoping you have one more service call in you. I emailed "sales@lavacable.com" on June 27 to see about replacement of a Lava Soar when GC could not assist me. I sent you my receipt this a.m., and another email along the same lines. Send me a p.m. Happy to discuss offline. Thx in advance.

16. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Cool, I have a Fender patch cable that's dead, I'll take it in. I hope they all honor this policy.

17. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

by way of an update, Lava Cable reached out to me on my similar GC-purchased Lava cable warranty question posted above. Pretty darned fast and amazing customer service. Gotta love it.

18. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Are you an electrical engineer? If not, do you have some other credential to support your claim?

19. TheSpricket

TheSpricket Member

I'd always recommend calling first, just to make sure they have the same cable. And I have to say I'm not totally sure that those Fender patch cables have the same warranty. You can probably find out online. All the other brands have the same warranty for their patch cables. Remember the cable swap thing is a manufacturer thing, not a GC thing.

20. vintage saddles

vintage saddles Member

A couple of emails sent and still waiting. In the meantime I dug out the grey cable that came with my Fender AVRI Tele that I have never used -- the cable, not the Tele. Rather like it. Anyone know the story on those?