So, Gibson really did increase their prices?

auffredou

According to the guy at guitar center, it went into effect yesterday. Aparently Gibson is raising their prices by roughly $200-$300 a guitar.

Birddog

I know the Vintage Mahogany went up 100 bucks a month or more ago. The sales person who eventually sold me a Studio made a point of telling me the next time I came in, because originally I was going to get a VM. These were the same 4 guitars I looked at too (I had written the serial numbers down), and the sticker price went up 100 bucks. Even she was surprised.

The Studios, last I looked, had not changed. Maybe they have now?

auffredou

well they havent changed on musicians friend or anything. i think what he was saying is that any new studios ordered from gibson for the store would cost about 200-300 more, and the recommended selling price was closer to 1400 now. Im sure theyll still sell ones they have in stock at the same price.

VDeuce

Silver Supporting Member
Gibson USA already has the increase in effect. Custom Shop goes up in March.

auffredou

im hoping this will help my discontinued blue teal flip flop to be worth something in 20 years, not that I ever plan on getting rid of it.

Birddog

Im sure theyll still sell ones they have in stock at the same price.

That's not what Guitar Center did with the Vintage Mahoganies. They changed the price on the ones in stock. Grrr.

Birddog

hmm, guess i shouldve expected that from GC, huh?

I've had pretty good luck with GC, but am happy to say I'm giving my business to a small store on an upcoming LP purchase. Put the money down on a Standard last night. *gulp*.

Unlike the specimens at GC, this one wasn't scratched, dinged and pre-sale "reliced". I still buy from GC, but if I can get a good deal I prefer to use the smaller guys.

slipbeer

Gold Supporting Member
Hey, they HAVE to raise prices. How else do you expect them to cover all of their warranty claims and dealer returns and rejects.

That all hits the bottom line, ya know.:Spank

daddyo

Does it seem strange to increase the prices on a luxury product at the beginning of an economic slump?

Janglin_Jack

Does it seem strange to increase the prices on a luxury product at the beginning of an economic slump?

Every thing Gibson does seems strange to me. They sell used guitars for super premiums, (relics).

Their best guitars, (Epiphone Elitsts) are not even advertised in the Musicians Friend catalog. They seem like everything is smoke an mirrors. They have a great history, but I think the current group running the company is slowly eroding their "status".

Jack

Trending Topics

Top Bottom