So, given a choose, which of these would you prefer, be honest and hold nothing back

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by 70' s Tone, Sep 27, 2017.

1. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

It can be yours...

2. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Why so?

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Why would I pick the Ric? I am a Ric guy. My main bass is a '74 FG and I always wanted checked binding, which they stopped using in either '73 or early '74.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Both of my '73 4001 basses had horseshoe pickups in them. The Mapleglo March '73 had (still does, actually) an early '60s horseshoe pickup, and the Fireglo July '73 had a RI HS PU that I installed in it (I installed the magnetic HS PU in the March '73 4001, too). :)

:aok

Mid to late 1973 was when the CB was phased out as a standard thing but was available on special order for many years (around 10 years) after that.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  5. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Rickenbacker needs to get off their a$$ and put the checkered binding back on their basses. ;)

Floyd Eye likes this.
  6. rsm

rsm Member

Ric 4001 or 4003.

StratoCraig likes this.
  7. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Watch out for those 4001. The truss rods are much different than the ones in today's modern-day 4003 models.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Yes, they do not adjust/work like typical compression rods, but they are superior to them, too, when you know what you are doing.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  9. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

...which is why Ric discontinued making them. :rolleyes:

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

You have done nothing but diss anything Rickenbacker related. Go away TROLL.

Those of us in the know (to feed you some more :p) prefer the old style rods. :aok

11. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Take it easy there buckaroo. I'm not a troll. ;)
    I do, however, look at and assess things objectively, and am not like the mindless robotrons on that other web-site were all the Rickenbacker devotes conspire. o_O
    Here's a pic of my 4001 C64S in the rare Matte Black Finish, with the backwards head-stock that all Rickenbacker aficionados adore. :D
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps a company like Gibson or Fender will one day purchase Rickenbacker and correct all of their inherent design flaws that have pledged the products for so many years. :cool:
    Keep the faith buckaroo. :)

noley likes this.
  12. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Should have included this bass as well.
    Interesting how many times Paul played (preferred) the Hofner over the Rickenbacker.

But then, he possessed an uncanny ear and instinct for what was best.

13. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

Since the instrumental track in that video is obviously the studio recording, with the band singing live over it, Paul obviously didn't choose the Hofner for its sound in this instance. He could have used any bass on the record, though judging from the dull thump of the sound, it could be the Hofner. I'm not aware of any actual documentary evidence of which bass was used in the recording studio for that particular track.

Paul seems to choose instruments in the studio based on the sound he wants to hear in each song (what a concept!). He is known to have used the Rickenbacker for at least one track (possibly more) on his most recent studio album, New, so it's not as if he's abandoned it. In concert he tends to favor the Hofner simply because it weighs less, as he has explained in interviews.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Jeff Scott likes this.
  14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Well I myself ( and everyone I know who knows what they are doing with a 4001) very much prefer the manual rods.

The actual reason they were discontinued is because too many ( alleged) luthiers/techs F'ed the necks up because they didn't know what they were doing. Then subsequently blamed it on high tension rounds.

My bass has been strung with Rotos consistently for 30+ years and my neck is dead flat and the action is unbelievable.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  15. Dave M

Dave M Supporting Member

Of those listed, probably the Triple Omega or '63 Jazz. But I've never been given a choose ......

16. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

I'd say M, even if I personally prefer short scale basses, and probably never would be able to afford an Alembic anyway.

Looks amazing and know that the Alembic are known for outstanding craftmanship.

Least of those basses I'd say the Rickenbacker, owned a 4003 once and although it looked amazing and sounded great I just hated to play it, as the neck was really uncomfortable for me.

And it wasn't because I prefer short scales, that was a realization that came much later for me, at that time I played a regular 34" scale bass.

17. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

I've owned and still own a lot of different bass guitars. But if I had a time machine I would jump back and get a MusicMan Stingray or Sterling and stick to it.

18. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    This......

19. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Having owned a few older basses, there are few I’d covet over a new bass. If I had to choose from those, maybe the Mark King

20. Dr Bonkers

Dr Bonkers Member

L, M, or B in that order, Although L appears to be linking to the wrong bass now compared to the URL tag.