So....going into the studio next to record and....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Chadley, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Chadley

Chadley Supporting Member

....the studio we are going to has these amps to choose from for rental (no this is not a joke). I met with the engineer today and he says that we can use whatever we want free of charge. Which ones should I request to use?

• Dumble Overdrive Reverb
    • Dumble Overdrive Special
    • Bad Cat Hot Cat
    • Mesa Boogie MK 1
    • Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
    • Soldano SLO 100
    • Marshall JCM 800 2205
    • 1965 Marshall JTM 45
    • 1957 Fender Super
    • 1960 Fender Deluxe
    • 1963 Fender Vibroverb
    • 1963 Fender Vibrolux
    • 1964 Fender Super Reverb
    • 1965 Vox AC30 factory top boost
    • Diezel – Herbert
    I got just a few ideas.
    :dude

2. Chadley

3. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

What kind of music?

4. Chadley

We play modern Christian worship music. Contemporary pop rock with a heavy U2/Cold Play influence.

5. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Depends on the music.
    However,I would think the JTM 45,'57 Super,AC30 and the ODS would cover most stuff nicely.

6. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Marshall 800
    Dumble ODS
    Bad Cat

if it were me...

7. devinb

devinb Member

A lot of exciting possibilities there, I'd caution against going overboard and trying to get overly specific for each track.

8. PSaulino

PSaulino Silver Supporting Member

Well, I was hoping there was some middle of the road PCB that I could sarcastically pick.. but you're answering to a higher authority (not to be religious or political !!)

Ask for ALL of them!

Paul

9. JStizz

JStizz Member

the AC30 is a must. and the Super Reverb and Vibrolux could be important.

depending on the amount of gain you would end up using, i would suggest the JCM800 2205 or the Tremoverb.

then again, to say you used Dumbles would give you some serious street cred (not that you have none, i mean working in this studio alone says a lot). im sure the Dumbles could fit what you're looking for, but ive never even been in the same room as one so i cant really say.

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Well, you only live once. You absolutely have to try the Dumbles since the opportunity presents itself. Frankly, if you pass that up, 50 years from now you'll still be angry with yourself. Even if you don't use them on the recording... you just have to do it.

11. seeker

seeker Member

Darn, one would think they would have at least one Line 6 amp in the studio...LOL I suppose you'll have to use the Dumble ODS. Forget the Diezel unless it's metal worship...

H

12. Chadley

Definitely going to request the ODS...even if it doesn't make it on to the album I just have to give it a spin.

I will be bringing a couple of Dr. Z's (Z28 and Mazerati). I am leaning right now to the AC30 (vox chime), Super Reverb (pristine cleans), Bad Cat Hot Cat (aggressive crunch), and the JCM800 (classic marshall crunch). I am pretty confident that I could cover just about any tone with those amps.

They also have an amazing selection of vintage guitars but I am pretty partial to my own parts-o-caster. I am also borrowing a friends McInturff for any Les Paul things I need to do.

They are also going to be providing several McPherson and an Olson for tracking acoustic stuff.

This should be a pretty fun four days.

13. kimock

kimock Member

Those amps aren't gonna play themselves, and the learning curve on some of them is pretty steep.
    You should use your amp, what is it, Dr Z right?

Dr Z's are great sounding amps, I'd get that sorted out first.
    If there was something special you were loo
    king for after that, the Vox, the Vibroverb, and the Soldano would be the three most likely to stick to tape for me with a minimum of screwing around. That's just me. . .

Use what you got for basics, and don't waste time trying stuff out for overdubs. If the "rental", whatever it is, doesn't give you what you're looking for almost immediately, it's not the right tool for the job.
    You could spend, and I do mean $pend, all day trying to get an unfamiliar Dumble to sit in the mix in a way that a Blackface Fender would sit in five minutes, and vice versa.

If that amp list has any kind of "kid in a candy store" feel to it for you, meditate on the "bellyache" conotation as well.
    If you don't use that resource wisely, it could be a frustrating and expensive drain on your project.

If you and your engineer are both good, you could do the whole thing with one or two of those amps. If either one of you is not up to the task, you could use all of them to accomplish nothing.
    Best bet is to ask for a half day of pre-production for the guitar and spend five minutes with whatever amps are available.
    Line 'em up and knock 'em down.
    There's only a couple of food groups, so at the end of the day if there's three amps left it'll probably look like Vox, Fender, Marshall.

Who knows? For you that might be Bad Cat, Dumble, Soldano, just don't get hung up on the brand names. Get the right tool for the job and do good work!

Good luck!

peace sk

14. hamfist

hamfist Member

That sounds like a pretty good plan to me. But I would also echo Kimock's reminder not to put too much time into tweaking any of the uber-expensive amps to try and find tones you are imagining they might produce. If it isn't working out with an amp, just move on.
    If it were me I'd even be tempted to just stick with the AC30 and the JCM800. Those two would cover pretty much all the tones I hear in modern worship rock music these days.

15. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

For U2/Coldplay stuff the Vox is probably the only amp you will need. But damn if I didn't just get a wood looking at that list of amps:D

16. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

17. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

How can you argue with that!!

18. rob2001

rob2001 Member

19. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Sounds like a lot of late nights and alternate takes comparing amp tracks. Gonna be fun though. ;)

20. Chadley

That is awesome advice! We are spending the first half of the first day just getting things dialed in. I will give all the amps a spin and see if anything will work. But I am a creature of habit and I would imagine that 9 times out of 10 I will end up using my Dr. Z. But I just can't pass up the chance to spend three days with a Dumble on my hands. Even if it doesn't end up on the project, I have to see what all the hoopla is about.