So Hendrix ran his wah before his fuzz at Woodstock?

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
I thought this was a no-no? Forgive me, as my knowledge of fuzz and where it sits in the chain is limited. Someone enlighten me.

annostyle

Chances are, there is a buffer in the output of the wah. It's Hendrix. There's no telling who he had on the sidelines modding his gear, if at all. Most likely Roger Mayer. But as I said, the mystery continues.

7thString

A lot of his recordings you can hear him toying with the squeel sound from the wah and fuzzface not getting on well. Sometimes he did in fact play fuzz into wah, and other times mayer likely solved the squeel problem when running wah first. Its all music in the end..

Chances are, there is a buffer in the output of the wah. It's Hendrix. There's no telling who he had on the sidelines modding his gear, if at all. Most likely Roger Mayer. But as I said, the mystery continues.
That would be THE WRONG ANSWER!!!!.. Try listening to the performance.You will hear the error of this setup when played together...Shame people don't realize what a cranked marshall sounds like by itself.And even a bigger shame that we can't hear what it REALLY sounded like coming off the stage. All we get is Studio magic versions of the performances.... Roger mayer came up with the Octavia/fuzz thing, but as stated by Him it didn't come together until way after Jimi was gone.Roger mayer was a very mall part of Jimi's technical support.

annostyle

bandofthieves™;18711865 said:
That would be THE WRONG ANSWER!!!!.. Try listening to the performance.You will hear the error of this setup when played together...Shame people don't realize what a cranked marshall sounds like by itself.And even a bigger shame that we can't hear what it REALLY sounded like coming off the stage. All we get is Studio magic versions of the performances.... Roger mayer came up with the Octavia/fuzz thing, but as stated by Him it didn't come together until way after Jimi was gone.Roger mayer was a very mall part of Jimi's technical support.
"I met Jimi Hendrix first in 1967 in a club and in two weeks time we were in the studio overdubbing the solo to "Purple Haze" using the Octavia that I had invented. My association with Jimi grew and grew at a rapid pace and I spent a lot of time going to gigs and in the studio creating new sounds with him. I was present with him at Olympic studios for nearly all the session for his next album "Axis Bold as Love" and of course you can hear the unique tones I had a part in creating.
After recording Axis Jimi invited me to go on the upcoming winter 1968 tour around the states." - Roger Mayer

Papajoe

bandofthieves™;18711865 said:
That would be THE WRONG ANSWER!!!!.. Try listening to the performance.You will hear the error of this setup when played together.
Agreed. In fact, watch the video of Jimi at Woodstock. You can see him constantly stomping the fuzz and the wah throughout the songs where he used both. To me it looks like he's trying to avoid playing both at the same time.

6ringing

MAyer has stated over and over that you can't get things to work like Jimi did with stock equip. He modified EVERYTHING for Jimi, and yes the buffer was an essential part of getting the way to play well with the other gear. It's all in his interviews.

annostyle

I don't know. I always held his woodstock tone in high regard. This guy seems to nail it in this video.

Trending Topics