So Henry is finally leaving Gibson...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by steve_man, Sep 13, 2018.

1. bismark

bismark Member

Henry rides away, slumping over in the saddle, not looking back, deaf to Little Joey's calls of "Henry! Henry! Come Back Henry!"

2. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Or even to lose them...

fridgit, Bucksears and caldera like this.
  3. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

I just read that blurb linked in the OP.
    So much nauseating corporate speak. I feel dirty.

4. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

You took the words right out of my mouth!

5. kbgear

kbgear Member

Eh, Gibson is selling direct from their website, at MAP.

Honestly, I don't think their pricing is much out of line, EXCEPT that their quality often falls short of the offering price, and they make some silly decisions when trying to make ultra-cheap guitars—e.g., M2 or the new Les Paul Junior Tribute, barebones body with overseas electronics/drop-in pickguard/hardware, at a 33% higher price than the top of the line Epiphone LP. Smoothing out their model line (turn the HP into a Modern with cut heel and apex, PC board in cavity, then make a Standard a Standard) and fixing QC will hopefully be their short-term fix, and then start doing cool stuff from that safe place. Let people who give a crap about luthiery and people playing music back in to the company. All my IMHO$0.02.

[​IMG]

uab9253 likes this.
  6. gigs

gigs Member

... this will not end well.

7. J.Eric B

J.Eric B Member

Have you seen the ‘19 Standard? Samo shite no one asked for. Dip switches, all four pots are push pull. Only 2 colors, blueberry burst and some other PRSish burst that no one asked for. That’s the Standard. Isn’t everyone screaming for Gibby to go back to doing what they used to. Make what they’re calling a Standard a Modern or something, and make a effing LP Standard. There seems to be a huge chasm between what guitarists want from Gibby, and what’s being offered. My optimism for Gibson’s future wanes by the day. Oh well, if Gibby goes down my Lester jumps in value (silver lining).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    uab9253 likes this.
  8. J.Eric B

J.Eric B Member

Gibson was killer again from ‘90ish to early 00’s. Their guitars are still (for the most part) great instruments (especially Memphis and CS), but they’re priced waaay out of reach for most people.

9. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

My friend is a certified Gibson service center, he was constantly recutting or replacing nuts, and performing fret dresses on brand new instruments at that time for them.

jens5 likes this.
  10. J.Eric B

J.Eric B Member

It’s weird despite all the facts, people still insist Gibby’s guitars are the root of their financial woes, they’re not. Henry J brought Gibby out of the ashes, and in the nineties they were putting out great instruments, that weren’t $6k CS’s.
    I’ve heard stories of QC issues, but whenever I’ve gone to GC or SA, and played a Lester, the only problem I’ve seen is that the guitar was set up poorly. I don’t get that, you’re trying to sell a >$1k instrument, pay your tech to set them up before they go on the floor.

jbcohen92 likes this.
  11. J.Eric B

J.Eric B Member

I’m sure there were some dogs, but you’ll find that with any mass produced product. IMO, 90’s Lester’s were the most consistently well made instruments Gibby put out since the 60s. I’m not alone in this belief.
    I’ve a ‘96 Classic, and it’s the perfect Lester for me. Weighs right around 8lbs. I like the high output ceramic pups (they suit the style of music I play very well). The fit and finish is great. It’s one of the most resonant solid bodies I’ve ever played. It stays in tune. It came with the ABR 1 bridge. It’s finish is starting to check in a really cool way. It does everything a Lester should, in spades.

12. J.Eric B

J.Eric B Member

So your friend thinks the Lester’s since ‘05 are better than the ones produced from ‘90 to ‘04? He would know.
    Strange that the conception is that Henry was getting it right in the beginning.

13. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

No you don't, PRS never had such issues. Which is EXACTLY the point.

People have created a cult around Gibson and fail to see their obvious flaws.

kbgear likes this.
  14. uab9253

uab9253 Member

Adding Flying V's to the list!

jpervin and eigentone like this.
  15. uab9253

uab9253 Member

I agree. I was looking at LP's on Sweetwater and the one that comes closest to being the one I want is the Classic, which is about $400 less than the traditional. Would love to see a "regular" standard return to the lineup. I think even the Classic has push/pulls but I'd never use them. I don't want a single coil sound on an LP. The ones I've heard sound really terrible.
    Thing is - the classic, even weight relieved, 3 out of 4 weighed 9lb 10 oz. But I actually like a little heft on an LP

16. 98G2PRU

98G2PRU Member

I know that its popular to bash Gibson due to the bankruptcy, but if you read what the financial analysts said, the guitar sales are good for Gibson. The problem is all the other companies that they bought like electronics companies etc.. that are not making money. They’ll eventuallly spin all that stuff off and get back to just being a guitar manufacturer.

I was at the Gibson Memphis plant a few years ago. That is a great tour. They were building 335s when I was there. It was fun to see the guitars at the various stages of construction.

Average Joe likes this.
  17. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I believe the analysts said Gibson Guitars had strong brand recognition. I don't recall anything specific to business health related to guitar sales or profits. Just a strong brand. A good thing but not the same thing unfortunately.

hunter

18. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

When I'm on this Board, I'm in the Memphis TV market. They've got ABC and NBC and CBS and Fox local affiliates, and it seems nobody ever talks about Gibson. Nobody knows what to think. So, you have Beale Street on a weekend afternoon and it is thick with people, and then you walk one block over to the severe brick building where Gibson's thing is or was, and there's absolutely not a parked car, not a soul. I don't think anyone wants to see the enterprise fail - if nothing else, they're part of the tax base. But it may as well be run by Howard Hughes. No Suit at Gibson wants to even be seen in Shelby County. Ain't nobody at the Memphis operations with joy in their eyes. Mighty Henry has Struck Out.

19. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Truth.

20. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

A 1959 Les Paul cost $375 in 1959..using the inflation calculator that equals $3,238 in today's dollars.
    I consider $3238 a lot closer to a "working guitar players" budget than the insane amount they charge for a TH now.

Average Joe, jbcohen92 and Wyatt Earp like this.