So here's a New Studio Recording but i'm posting here because of Axe-FX stuff :D

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stephenaxefx, Jan 23, 2012.

1. stephenaxefx

stephenaxefx Member

Hey Guys,

First off, Sorrrrrrry, I know i'm b-b-breaking the law here by posting a recording in the modeling gear section but there's always been pretty good conversation here when i've posted video etc about tone, so, thought i'd finally show just actual direct tone from a studio demo rather than live stuff captured by video cameras.

All this is is my poor measly old (pshhh) Axe-FX Standard ran through two quarter inch cables, stereo, into a PreSonus FireStudio inputs. I really don't do a lot of tweaking in Logic, the delay etc is all ran through the Axe itself, so what ya hear is what you get as they say.

Anyway, give it a listen, hopefully someone will get a kick outta it :)

2. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Very nice...great playing and the tone fit the genre very well! :aok

3. kush06

kush06 Member

Very nice. Great tone and playing.

Every time I think I need to upgrade to an Axe-Fx II I see a video like this and realize what I really need is more practice!

4. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Need and want are two different things, and I've got to say that I'm enjoying practice with the II more and as a result, doing even more of it.

As good as the playing and tone were, there is a quality that's present in the II that isn't there in the Gen 1 units...more that happens once you hit the note.

There's no question that the Gen 1 units still sound great, particularly with the v.11 firmware, but the II brings some subtle extra qualities that impact the dynamics.

In that style of playing, dynamics aren't as much of an issue...you never hear them as much in a flurry of notes as you do when playing sparsely, but in other styles it can be readily apparent.

I could have been happy forever with my Ultra, but I like the II even more...it's just how it is.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  5. Robert Burns

Robert Burns Member

Wow...you played at the House of Blues! First...very Gary Moore like
    prasing... about the best compliment i could hand out...fantastic emotional playing! Thanks for sharing it!

6. 6strang

6strang Supporting Member

Awesome! Reminded me of Neal Schon with great soaring melody and the singing quality of your tone/phrasing. Loved it!

7. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

It sounds great and relax, we post clips here all the time.

8. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

I hear ya...dynamics, bottom end, more organic and amp type sustain are a few that i can think of. Just cliff doing his thing..

9. Den

Den Member

Awesome ... great playing and tone. Thanks!

10. Tone Seeker

Tone Seeker Member

Very emotional. Very moving. Great tone!

I thoroughly enjoyed this. Thanks for posting.

Terry.

11. stephenaxefx

stephenaxefx Member

Thanks for all the kind words guys and for checking it out :)

Wasn't sure initially whether I wanted to post instrumental stuff amongst guitar heads lol but everyone sure is supportive on here, Appreciate it bunches :)

As for the Axe 2/Standard thing, well, clearly given that i'm endorsed by the company its all fairly known that i'm an avid user anyway, but still I actually haven't used the II. I find that the Standard does everything I want (within this type of tone and elsewhere) I haven't found it lacking bottom end or anything else. That being said I can sit and screw with my standard all day because i'm a dork, it may be a lot easier to get what is wanted out of the two.

Funny thing is, i've never even upgraded firmware in my Standard, I just screw with it til i like the sound it gives me :)