So how good IS an Eternity???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jumblefingers, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I see these on a lot of guys boards and they seems to show up on many people's Desert Island pedal list but have never played one.

So what is it that makes this pedal so great over some other really good ones?

Thanks!

2. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Very natural amp like OD. Its definately one of the best. My favorite part is the tone knob. Its like no other.

3. Jumblefingers

Thanks! Does the Eternity clean up well with Guitar vol and does it need to be first in the chain like an Analog Man Sunface to work?

4. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I found it to work best with a buffered pedal after it. Made all the difference.

5. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

great pedal. very natural feel and exceptional tone for an OD.

6. Jumblefingers

I see they are now $259...is that lower than "normal" price?

7. amc

amc Member

So how good IS an Eternity???

Very good!

8. fatback

fatback Member

...this good. (stretches arms all the way out to the sides) ;)

9. slingshotmb

slingshotmb Member

thank god for $259.00 on order....it is the same pedal right.or is it like the vexter vs handpainted BOR .. completely different.

10. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

it is so good that the price should be 1000, not a mere 250! BAH!

11. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

it's really good. not for everyone, but if it's your type of sound, it's hard to beat.

12. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

HUGE difference :AOK

13. Jumblefingers

Not to be a smart ass at all but if you have not heard it how would you know if it's "my type of sound"?

How would you describe the sound?

14. slowburn

by "it" do you mean have not heard the "E" or have not heard "your sound"?

well I'll answer both.

I own an E. and I like it. I like it a lot.

I meant "your" in the general sense. like I don't know the sound your going for (tubescreamerish, raw, smooth, etc...) but assuming it falls into the category you're going for, then it's hard to beat. for example I consider it more "smooth" than "raw" and more "compressed" than "uncompressed" I should have phrased my initial response better.

15. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

http://lovepedal.com/eternitysquare.htm

Check out the Josh Smith video to get an idea. I would describe it as a sort of tweedish-Marshally sound, not too high gain, smooth but has a lovely bit of grit in the upper mids that I have not heard from any other pedal.

16. Jumblefingers

Sorry as well, meant IT's sound. I am not a tube screamer guy. Like a very responsive, smooth OD that can do both semi dirty to semi-marshall sounds. I have a Blackstone that is my main OD as the Brown channel gets me that Fenderish/Robbie Robertson sound and the Red channel takes me to Marshall-ish land. It is just a TAD rough but very responsive to guitar volume changes.

As the Eternity seems to be touted as very smooth (found the Zendrive a tad TOO smooth) I was curious.

Guess the only way to REALLY tell is to buy one. Seems like they keep their value so if it is not right I should be OK...

17. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

It's very good... to me and many others. So good I have two (the only pedal I have two of).

Only you can decide for yourself.

I do not like to say it's "amp like" or "transparent". It is still and *OVERDRIVE* pedal. But it is the coolest overdrive pedal I've ever heard. It does have a nice smooth sound, but not fuzz like smoothness. It's got a nice thick midrange, but not a TS style midhump. The bass response is basically unity with the bass coming from your amp (no bass cut). The treble his a nice upper mid bite and the treble boost in it is really well voiced, not harsh at all. If you like a fairly nice continuum of gain (from low gain to higher mid gain), and don't really dig the full clipping saturation of a *distortion* pedal, I think it's the best available.

18. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

BTW, yes listen to the clips of Josh Smith on the Lovepedal site. That's a great idea of what the Eternity sounds like, and that dude can motherscratchin play.

Also here is a clip I did of the E through a clean amp... It pretty well sounds close to what you should hear.

19. TimH

TimH Member

yeah I'll echo what's been said...it's astounding! I had a bit of a time getting used to it at first but now...it's unreal! Very natural and amp like and all of those words. Not high gain which is fine...but it has WAY more gain than I use...and I play rock and pop so I'm not a clean jazzer or strickly blues guy either.

20. slowburn

I have to disagree with one aspect here: at least in my experience, the E does have a bit of bass attenuation going on, not dramatic, mind you, but it's there. at least I perceive it to be there, anyway.