So how good is the EDQ Hizumitas?

CohenTheBarbarian

Silver Supporting Member
Now that the dust has settled a bit, how good is the EDQ Hizumitas?
I am quite sure it’s a solid pedal overall but I wonder how it fares compared to the other popular big muffs.
I have an extensive collection of big muffs already, including a few triangle variants such as the SUF Tri-Muff ‘72 and the Wren & Cuff White Elk, and I am wondering if I’ll get something better/different with the Hizumitas.

kingofrats

The clips sound really good. But one thing I noticed in the clips is that when compared to an EHX Triangle Muff, the Hizumitas sounds noticeably more scooped for some reason? I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but the Triangle is already very scooped, but the Hizumitas is even more so? (Big lows and highs). Maybe some owners can chime in to clarify.

Twisted_Kites

Silver Supporting Member
Now that the dust has settled a bit, how good is the EDQ Hizumitas?
I am quite sure it’s a solid pedal overall but I wonder how it fares compared to the other popular big muffs.
I have an extensive collection of big muffs already, including a few triangle variants such as the SUF Tri-Muff ‘72 and the Wren & Cuff White Elk, and I am wondering if I’ll get something better/different with the Hizumitas.

Hi. I made this video for you. Real basic run through of the sounds. Only 2:53 of your time. Please excuse any mistakes, I wasn’t warmed up.
I love this pedal. YMMV.
Simple signal path: Baranik B-1 guitar (Mojo Pickups) -> Hizumitas -> Iridium (AC30 IR) -> Centrance Mixerface -> IPad Pro
You should listen with headphones.

Last edited:

ryanmcdermottguitar

Psychedelic Speed Freak
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for all the replies.
I guess I should probably give it a go.
To be frank I am not hearing anything in the demos that my current pedals could not do so I am still a little dubious.

It will probably be pretty close to your Tri-Muff and White Elk, to be honest. But since the old Elks have wide variances in how they sound and the Hizumitas is specifically a clone of Wata's Elk, it could have some different shades of the same color.

CohenTheBarbarian

Silver Supporting Member
It will probably be pretty close to your Tri-Muff and White Elk, to be honest. But since the old Elks have wide variances in how they sound and the Hizumitas is specifically a clone of Wata's Elk, it could have some different shades of the same color.

In fact from the demos it reminds me of the SUF Red Menace which is a mix between a Green Russian and a Triangle with a little more sizzle and with mid control.

can't you set your pedals like that? I just tweaked my SUPERCOLLIDER just a hair here and there and brought out moar bottom and sizzle up top...

just face it... it's a GASsy pedal... but, like Plumes, I rather just try it and get over the GAS

Yes it definitely looks like a GASsy pedal :)
I have been trying to rein my GAS in lately.

Mildwest

Silver Supporting Member
I was originally going to get the garbage face but figured I would just use the boost pedals I have with this and that is working great.

whateverdude

Silver Supporting Member
It’s definitely not like any muff I’ve owned in the past. I bought it for the vinyl, and I was going to sell the pedal. I’m glad I decided to try it first. It’s my favorite muff.

Chippertheripper

Silver Supporting Member
I’d like to see this go head to head against a fuzzwar. It has some square-wave-ness to the sound I like.

I still love it. I have several muffs, the Hizumitas has more highs and lows than others, and more of a buzz to the texture. And extremely loud!

I'd say that description is pretty spot on. I sat it next to the Triangle re-issue and the Hizumitas sounds fuller, and grittier. While it was cool A/B'ing them back and forth, eventually I crossed the streams and just stacked one into the other. Good lord. That's the stuff right there.

Top Bottom