so..how good is the komet 50???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rkstarr, Jul 3, 2006.

1. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

im in line for one..tell me tone...warmth...etc

2. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

I watched someone play the kf-50 at the amp show in LA recently and left with the impression that the kf-50 and the Bruno UG-30 were the two best sounding amps at the show....and there were some mighy fine sounding amps at that show.

3. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

OK, i visit the komet website almost daily and have committed the entire website to memory. i even know about the KT88 model.
    but what in heck is the komet 50?
    like i need to lust after another amp.

4. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

thanx.
    does anyone know how many are left?

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I dont know but I want one!...maybe if I didnt get a mad professor...

6. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

well, yes...
    i'm afraid if i were to call them, i'd end up w/ all three.
    i know. i know.
    i think the limited is darned sexy looking. i know that if i wait a bit, i'd save myself $$$. nothing like putting off today what U can put put off doing tomorrow.
    what was the 'original blinkie run'?
    sorry, i'm a noob.
    i know my recording gear inside out, backwards and sideways. there was a thread at gearslutz asking about a guitar gear oriented forums. TGP was right up at the top of the list. it got me to thinking that i needed to upgrade the guitar end of what i do. up until late last year the only boo-teek amps i knew were kendrick, matchless, victoria, TR, d*mble and THD. gerald weber's tube book always made me lust after the 'wrecks and the two that i got to play were so frustrating because i loved them immediately. back then they were around $10K USD and there was NO WAY i was gonna spend that amount on ANY amp. still wouldn't. imagine my joy when i discovered KF sanctioned and designed amps that actually were, um, affordable.
    i blame it all on my mom. first guitar for my eighth birthday. by the time christmas rolled around i'd written some tunes and low and behold if santa didn't show up w/ a sony reel to reel recorder. it's been a lifelong journey ever since. and who woulda thunk it could be lucrative?

7. hogy

hogy Member

There's a bit of confusion here I'd like to clear up.

The amp in question has taken on several names.
    The Limited is the bubinga/maple hardwood cabinet , NOS tubes version. It was limited to 30 amps and they are gone.
    Some refer to this amp as the KF-50, which was a project name that was thrown around and stuck.
    Ken Fischer's pet name for the amp is "Blinky's Revenge". The circuit is based on a one off Trainwreck prototype/mod Ken did years ago. That amp had a blinking pilot light and hence was named "Blinky".

All of those names refer to the same amp.
    That amp is now beginning to ship in a totally redesigned new head box, with current tubes, and will have a new, official name. In this latest form it will be a standard amp in the Komet lineup, along with the unchanged Komet 60. Sound samples are currently being recorded and will appear on the Komet web site as soon as they are done.

If all this sounds confusing, the important part to know that technically there is no difference between the hardwood Limited and the new production amp. Same circuit, same parts, same attention to detail.

Here's the Komet lineup:

-Komet 60, can use various output tubes, available unchanged since '99
    -Komet 80, dedicated KT88 amp, limited run, sold out
    -Komet Constellation 30, 4 EL84 tubes, available
    -Komet Limited, dedicated EL34 amp in hard wood box, limited run, sold out
    -Production version of Limited, new name TBA, available.

I hope this helps to clear things up a bit.
    If the mods regard this as spam, feel free to move to a more appropriate section.

Hogy, Komet Amplification
    www.kometamps.com

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Hogy, do you know the price point of the new tolex version and what tubes they will ship with?

9. hogy

hogy Member

GAT, contact Gene or Ken at Ultrasound for this info.

Contact information for Ultrasound is at www.kometamps.com .

Hogy

10. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I'll give Gene a call. I'm very familiar with the K60 and K30 tones, where does the "K50" fit tonally?

11. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

spam?
    i sure hope not.
    thanx so much for the info.
    it certainly clears up a lot of stuff for me. in a way, i'm sorry i missed the limited. the pix made the amp look quite beautiful. would have looked nice in our facility along w/ our red, hand lacquered 18th century harpsichord in our 19th century building. continuity.

12. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

ill go for it..ive never actually owned a komet..so ...gotta make the jump someday//right:worried :FM

13. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

how recursively solipsistic.

14. pappafox

pappafox Member

I recieved an email from Ken@Ultrasound last night. He say's clips and pics will be up soon, there is a waiting list, and the first batch will ship mid-July.

Jimbo