So, how long until Gibson builds outside the U.S.A.?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Pax, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Pax

Pax Gold Supporting Member

Just askin'. I mean with all the issues, why wouldn't they. At least a select line of guitars. Not long until "Gibson MIM" on the headstock?

2. SteveO

SteveO Member

I don't think it would be very well received. They already destroyed the Epiphone name 40 years ago, so they know what would happen if they did it to their top brand.

3. Pax

Don't know about that. Can't imagine the CEO, like him or not, isn't getting pressure to do just that with some, not all, guitars.

4. teleclem

teleclem Member

I don't think it will be anytime soon.

5. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

They already do. It's just a matter of changing the name on the headstock.

And the name is the most valuable thing that they have.

6. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

How about they ship Henry outside the USA?

7. Lucky one

Lucky one Member

I don't think it will ever happen.

8. Pax

Why so confident? I'm not challenging you. Just interested in why you think so. You can't imagine a Gibson "non-US", Gibson USA and Gibson CS line up? Given the import problems, you might get better wood from the Gibson "non-US" line, but maybe not a better build.

9. shane88

shane88 Member

well fender are making fenders in china now...... & in japan & korea ...

10. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

But they already had a history.. MIJ, MIM, etc.

11. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

This

12. SteveO

SteveO Member

One other point to consider: Gibson's target demographic is VERY well represented over on the Les Paul Forum. Cruise over there and ask this question, and see what the response would be. I guarantee you that you would be treated less than hospitably. ;)

13. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

They should move production to Canada just north of the border.
    We're America Jr, everybody know that, so what's the difference?
    Free healthcare for workers!! :rotflmao

14. Pax

Yea, I'm a member (at least until they read this). I'm not trying to pick a fight, just have a discussion.

15. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

They apparently already have. A few Gibby acoustics have come through my shop that were made in Canada. I don't remember the model(s) seeing so many a day, but I do distinctly remember the Made in Canada as this was bit of a surprise with the Gibson logo.

16. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Gibson guitars have been made in Canada. Some of their acoustics have been made at the former Garrison Guitars factory in St. Johns, which Gibson bought in 2007.

17. iluvfender

iluvfender Member

I think they stopped making the Canada Gibson acoustics. Too bad. ...nice guitars

18. Lucky one

Lucky one Member

I've been playing for over 40 years. I've bought 6 new Gibson USA guitars in the past year at quality out of the box and price points better than I've seen in a long time.
    I don't think they need to offer "non USA" Gibsons. The market is already flooded with enough "non USA" guitars to outfit the world, however, there are always players old and new whose dream is to own a USA Gibson. Like it or not I don't think they will or would benefit by manufacturing outside of the USA.
    The Gibson haters wouldn't buy them anyway and the Gibson lovers seem to admire and have pride that their guitars are and always have been made in the USA.

19. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

I've got a dollar here that says it will happen, and that it will be China that's building them, within the next ten years. They may grump that it's for the Chinese Market ONLY (though we'll see some of them leaking into the US), but it'll definitely happen. Fewer problems with wood, for one thing.

I think we're also going to see Gibson switching to a UV catalyzed polysomething for everything but VOS-type LPs and the like within five or six years. They're just fighting too many problems with the finish, and it's taking too long for them to get out the low-priced spread stuff they want to have on the market at a faster pace. With UV-cured poly they can have the stuff in and out of the paint booth dry to dry in 24 hours, where now they're having to cheat on finish depth or drying time in order to get product to market.

20. SteveO

SteveO Member

You won't get any fight from me, I just figured that the LPF was a great way to summarize the whole concept.