So... How many diabetics here?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Chris Pile, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

I was diagnosed 18 months ago - my dentist figured it out. My gums were bleeding and displaying a pebbly texture, a symptom of gestational diabetes. Since I'm a guy - it was a good bet I wasn't pregnant. The next month my optometrist mentioned that my eyes seemed dehydrated - was I a diabetic? Finally admitted I was in denial and went to see my family doctor. Yup - my A1C was 17 plus! Glucose meter showed almost 300. He put me on metformin, and I gave up my daily sugar fix.

My brother was a longtime Atkins advocate, and he loaned me his books. Totally changed my eating habits away from carbs and candy. Started eating more veggies, meats, nuts, and cheeses - no more pasta, potatos, bread, and rice. Said goodbye to the dozen chocolate covered donuts every weekend. Gave up my salt water taffy and chocolate candy. No more ice cream by the barrel.

I lost 70 pounds in just a few months, and brought my A1C down to 6.5. Next checkup I was down 100 pounds, and A1C was 5.6. Here I am 18 months later, I gained some weight back (muscle, not fat), and my A1C has been 5.6 for a year. The doc took me off metformin yesterday, but I will continue to check my blood sugar several times a day. I am still a debo - but I'm in control.

What is your story?

Roark, quilsaw and EricPeterson like this.
  2. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

No story, but good on you. Congratulations!

3. Headshok

Headshok Member

I used to lift weights really heavily. Did not have the body type to be a body builder but I was good at power-lifting. Blew my knee out in 98. Gained about 40 lbs in a month. Went to the Doctor because I was constantly fatigued, thirsty, and pee'd about 10 times a night. Blood sugar was 488. He put me on metformin as well. Told me if I did not change I would not see 40 years of age. I was 36 then. Started riding mountain bikes and watching what I ate. I had ballooned up to 431 lbs after I blew my knee out so obesity probably triggered the diabetes. Over the past years I have gotten down to 270 lbs. I got taken off the metformin for about 5 years but recently had to start taking it again along with glipiczide and an insulin shot each day. The Doctor told me that aging can make diabetes kick into overdrive. I am still about 270 but the disease has started to wreak havoc with me. It never really goes away. My eyesight has changed because of it. And I have a little kidney damage. My wife is on dialysis and that is something I do not want to ever have to do. It can be a life changer.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

:JAM That's great!

My dad has T2 diabetes with some complications. Not how I want to live my life.

5. StevenA

StevenA Member

I weigh 143lbs and was diagnosed 2 years ago a1c at 7.0 Taking metformin daily without any symptoms except severe pain in my back and leg. X-rays, MRI showed nothing, but EMG showed poor responses. After steroids and Vicodin feel a lot better but things might be pointing to diabetic neuropathy (maybe). Now I look at sugar and my back hurts. pretty much eating Paleo from now on.

6. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

About the same as yours. Down to 170 ish and 6ft2in. Size 32 waist back down from 36.
    Like you no more pasta whitebread or bread in general less rice and potatoes.

Huge difference. Way less soda.

7. quilsaw

quilsaw Supporting Member

Chris -

Outstanding story, bravo.

I was diagnosed almost 6 years ago with an A1C of 10, pretty serious, but not as bad as yours, to be sure. I never went on metformin, as I was concerned that it would severely complicate my attempt to manage the diet/exercise/weight loss goals. I too lost about 100 lbs. of fat, while gaining 20 or so in muscle. A Primal diet helped big time...fasting levels were normalized in about a week and a half, and my first A1C test at 3 mos. was 4.9. The increased protein, surprise, surprise, really fueled muscle growth when combined with regular exercise. At first, this was desirable...my thinking was more lean mass = better glucose uptake. Later, it started getting a little bothersome...it really fueled added hunger and, well, enough was enough on muscle growth.

I have struggled to find precise "maintenance" levels of the diet and exercise parameters (esp. during winter), and have gained a little weight back, 15-20 lbs., due in large part to an increase in alcohol consumption. That hasn't seemed to have significantly harmed my glucose responses, which remain very much improved, in large part as a result of increased lean mass. Still, I typically target about 100 grams of carbs per day, with occasional "hormesis" shocks (aka cheats :)). Like others have reported on long-term LCHF diets, my fasting levels are typically in a very stable range near 105 and, interestingly, will usually only be lower (sub-100) after higher carb loads.

Still, at 6 years, this I count as success. Good luck to you, though it sounds like you're already doing well.

8. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

I was diagnosed with Type II a little over 26 years ago. I had the classic symptoms and realized what was probably wrong, called the doc and he had me come in immediately. Blood sugar was a hair over 700 (yeah, that's not a typo, 700). Tried oral meds for a couple of months but they only brought it down to 300-400 range, so I started taking insulin. For a while I was on metformin and insulin, but the metformin kept messing with my stomach so I stopped taking it. No complications so far (fingers crossed).

Roark likes this.
  9. pinefd

pinefd Member

I'm not diabetic, but my 16 year old daughter is...type 1, which she's had since the age of 2. She doesn't remember life before diabetes. It's nothing I'd wish on anyone, but after many visits to Children's Hospital in Boston over the years, and having seen kids there with much worse ailments, we're thankful that my daughter is as healthy as she is. That said, I wish, I could take her place.

Frank

VCuomo likes this.
  10. Boomer

Boomer Member

I was diagnosed in 2002 with Type II but considered borderline. I weighed about 265 at the time. I've managed to lose weight and have hovered between 202 and 210 for the last couple of years. Went on Metformin until last year when my rheumatologist found my kidney enzymes were high and switched me to Glipizide. Glipizide and I didn't get along too well as I don't always eat at the same time daily. I went to my GP last week for my annual checkup and my A1C was 1.4 and had been standing at 1.4 to 1.5 for the last year. I am no longer on any diabetes medication and couldn't be more thrilled. I have to take about eight meds daily and getting to drop one is awesome! I'm hoping to stop a couple other meds in the next year with the doctor's blessing.

11. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Diabetic here. I found out about six months ago. Gave up soda and gooey deserts, cut down on carbs, changed my overall diet for the better, joined the Y and work out twice a week, dropped about 15 pounds, take my Metformin every night, and I feel better than I have in years. My energy level is way up, my wife said I'm hardly snoring anymore, my sleep apnea is much better, I haven't had any asthma symptoms in months or any wheezing, and the chronic cough is gone.

My A1C was 7. Last time I had blood drawn, it was 6.3. I'm doing the right things, and it seems to be working.

As far as food, you don't have to stop eating carbs and all sweets. You just have to moderate what you consume. I can still have pasta on Sunday night, but only once a week.

12. Ab347

Ab347 Member

I have had it for 25 years, was overweight when I was younger. I am in great shape at the age of 56 but have had problems caused by the disease. Mainly nerve damage which has affected my guitar playing. Two shots a day but I work out regularly and watch what I eat.