So how many of you have played or heard a Bruno Cow 35?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GM1, Dec 14, 2005.

1. GM1

GM1 Member

Talking with Ken Volpe the other day and he mentioned Tony has not built that many Cowtipper 35 heads or combos. I have been considering a lower wattage Bruno ( I have a Cow 45) and after talking with Ken we both kind of leaned towards the Cow 35. I want 45 characteristics but with a bit less headroom.

So, I'm wondering who owns or has played a 35? What are your opinions on this amp?

2. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Not I. :(

3. matte

matte Senior Member

Played one and loved it. I've played at least one (if not many examples, usually right off the bench) of every amp in Tony's range. The man is an amp Kabbalist. He brings sound(s) from the realm of potential to the realm of action. I've spent hours fine tuning amps (swapping out caps, often made in the same batch by the same manufacturer) with the man and his attention to detail is otherwordly. The 35 is no exception.

4. GM1

GM1 Member

Ordered a 35 yesterday, will be done in Febuary.

5. Tag

:BEER

A full report and comparison to the 45 is expected soon after. :AOK

6. matte

matte Senior Member

Enjoy!

7. phoenix

phoenix Member

8. matte

matte Senior Member

I spy with my lil I...
    a Gibson

Hawk?
    Falcon?

9. Liquid Ranger

Liquid Ranger Supporting Member

Welll, I have owned and gigged a Cow 35 for close to two years now. I also own a Cow 45 and in comparison I gotta say that I prefer the 35 ( crap...the cover is now blown !!). The 35 has essentially the same tonal architecture as the 45, both sharing that special sauce that Tony lend's , his aural signature if you will...yet the 35 simply gives up the good's at the "right " place in my opinion. It has more sag and give with not quite as fast a transient on attack..that being said...the 45 very often is a little too fast at time's. The 35 also respond's to pedals well, better than the 45 front end and OD's appear to "mate" or conjoin with the amp circuit more entirely. In some instances ( loud venues, some outdoor festival situations ) I prefer the 45 for it's stout attack and higher headroom level's although when the acoustic are such that I can back off with my right hand and be "zen" tactile, the 35 is always my first choice. Think the BEST Vibrolux you have ever heard...and then BETTER!! B

10. Tag

NOW YOU HAVE DONE IT!! :mad: That thing is STUNNING! Is it an UG 30? My next Bruno is going to be in a hardwood cab just like that. Incredible looking!
    :BEER

11. GM1

GM1 Member

Hey how do I fix my automatic e-mail notification? I almost missed the responses to this thread.

12. GM1

GM1 Member

Bob thanks for the info. Ken Volpe mentioned to me Tony has done some recent tweeks ( last couple of months) to the Cowtipper design to make it even sweeter. I'm going go NOS but no mid or bright switch.

What's your tube set up on the 35?

13. Phloored

Phloored Member

go to user CP at the top of the page. select list subscriptions at the left and check off what you want to subscribe to.

14. Tag

Hey Greg,
    Do you have the bright switch on your 45?

15. Liquid Ranger

Liquid Ranger Supporting Member

On the 35 I run Phillips/ Sylvania STR 415 6L6's, Tele's in V1, V2 and PI. The 45 has the same preamp tube array yet I seem to prefer a pair of Tung Sol, brown base short bottle 6L6's in this guy to soften it up a bit. Telefunken's are de poop in dese amp's for sure (IMHO ). B

16. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

If I were going to own a Bruno, I'm pretty sure this would be the one for me. I don't need the prisitne clean thing....a little dirt in the signal makes it sound more "RNR" to me....

Shame these never come up for sale on the Emporium.....

17. lv

lv Supporting Member

greg, how come no bright switch?

18. Tag

I still want to have it installed on my 45. I have it on my 22 and love it. The mid switch I can do without, but its still nice once in a while.

19. lv

lv Supporting Member

I found the mid switch pretty much useless since I was getting plenty of mids from my overdrive units, but I thought the bright switch was perfect and I wouldn't get a new one without it.

20. GM1

GM1 Member

Hey Lou

Well, both Ken and Gene talked me out of it. I have a 45 with no mid or treble switches and they both said if your main guitar is a Strat or Tele you don't need the bright switch, and if your not trying to get more of a Dumble mid hump you don't need the mid switch. Also they both said the amp sound clearer without the switches in the circuit, this based on some a/b tests they did with Tony. I rarely play a humbucker style guitar so I decided to go with their recommendation.