• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

So how's Neil Young running his effects with his tweed deluxes?

Holy smokes! When he does that first single note solo, you can hear how effing microphonic the bridge pickup in old black is! Hes working really hard to keep that thing from going full blown squeal on him. Thats just plain rad.
That's pure art! Somebody should let him know to use a Klon or Timmy though :p. This way he can be somebody :aok

RockDebris

I never used Delay out in front until about a year ago. I knew that if it was in front that it would push the preamp into overdrive and that didn't seem like what I wanted. However, I was playing music from guitarists that I knew had delay in front (like The Edge) and I was never 100% happy with what I had in the fx loop. Finally gave it a shot when Eventide released the PRE/POST feature on the H9. It was an epiphany. Suddenly the songs I had been playing all this time were "right". Not just sound-wise, they also felt different to play. Easier to play somehow because of the dynamics that were occurring ... I was no longer having to try so hard and digging into the strings so hard to get the dynamics I had heard.

Now I pretty much evaluate everything for whether it sounds best out front or in the loop. Loop still wins a lot of the time, but I learned not to discount a delay in front.

Turnipfarmer

I did some digging trying to find out what he used for the tour he was playing the Le Noise set. He was running the Daniel Lanois inspired post effects but it sounded much more envelope filter controlling the pads of sound and i'd like to know if there was some type of crossover for the huge low end. I guess it is a piece of eventide rack gear providing the sub frequencies?

Blues Lyne

Neil isn't going for pristine sounds. Delay and verb into a dirty amp are perfect for creating a wall of grungy noise like that. In front of a dirty amp they smear the notes, kind of the opposite of what you are going for with a wet/dry rig.

Ev O)))

I did some digging trying to find out what he used for the tour he was playing the Le Noise set. He was running the Daniel Lanois inspired post effects but it sounded much more envelope filter controlling the pads of sound and i'd like to know if there was some type of crossover for the huge low end. I guess it is a piece of eventide rack gear providing the sub frequencies?

Yeah man, Lanois kinda actualy reapropriates a synthesised "sub" circuit much like the one found on old boom boxes or the DOD meatbox. The subs are not naturally occurring, but a synthesised voice added to the mix. Waves rbass/maxbass or refuse Lowender plugins do similair things. And yeah I believe Lanoise accomplishes it with an Eventide H3500

Ivo

Neil's sound is f*cking thunderous. :cool:

That said, it blows my mind how running reverb and/or delay into dirt (which I love and use) is always mentioned with such hallowed reverence. lol :facepalm Apparently, "breaking the rules" has its own step by step guide on this forum. Same cool/uncool nonsense is currently going on with Boss pedals (which I also love and use). Sh*t's so f*cking cringeworthy and has become a parody of itself. :eek:

Yeah man, Lanois kinda actualy reapropriates a synthesised "sub" circuit much like the one found on old boom boxes or the DOD meatbox. The subs are not naturally occurring, but a synthesised voice added to the mix. Waves rbass/maxbass or refuse Lowender plugins do similair things. And yeah I believe Lanoise accomplishes it with an Eventide H3500

DBX has made lower budget subharmonic boxes for years, as well.

Bloomfield fan

Silver Supporting Member
echoplex, Fender reverb unit with the tank often in a separate location because it is susceptible to vibrations, older Boss Flanger (the big one), all controlled by a board in front of his mic next to controls for his Whizzer which controls his Deluxe volume and tone knobs.

PerFusionist

Silver Supporting Member
Neil's sound is f*cking thunderous. :cool:

That said, it blows my mind how running reverb and/or delay into dirt (which I love and use) is always mentioned with such hallowed reverence. lol :facepalm Apparently, "breaking the rules" has its own step by step guide on this forum. Same cool/uncool nonsense is currently going on with Boss pedals (which I also love and use). Sh*t's so f*cking cringeworthy and has become a parody of itself. :eek:

I love that scene.

What you're saying reminds me of this too

Trending Topics

Top Bottom