So I am deciding how to wire my HSS strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by westex, Mar 17, 2008.

1. westex

westex Disgruntled Optimist Silver Supporting Member

and find that virtually everybody wires the #2 position (hummer and middle together) with the bridge split, for the maximum "quack" I suppose. I was thinking having a switch to split the hummer so I could play it with the middle either split or full. Is not the full humbucker and middle together a useable sound?

Wes

2. HHB

HHB Member

full hummer and middle sounds great to me ( depends on pickups I suppose ) it's a great usable tone thats loud w/ some sparkle

3. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

That's what I got goin' on in my Highway One Strat. Push-push pot on the bottom tone control to split the humbucker. Both options combined with the middle pickup are usable tones for sure.

4. westex

Cool, thanks for input. Switch it is. Also putting a "neck on" switch so I can use all 3 pickups at once or the bridge and neck combination.

5. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

Yep, my HSS strat is wired for position 2 to be full bridge with middle. Nice quack and very nice tones from that position. I have the 1st tone control wired to the bridge pu itself with a 500K pot and the 2nd tone knob as a 250K pot for the middle and neck. Works great. All pickups have a similar taper and amoutn of tone change with use of their repspective tone knobs.

6. baimun

baimun Member

I like the option of hum or split in each position so I'd vote mini toggle or push/pull in combo with the 5 way.... but I also always use a 5 way super switch so that the middle position is bridge/neck instead of middle by itself. A split humbucker combined with the neck is a much more useful sound to me (kinda tele-ish)

7. westex

Well, what I think I will do is have a "neck on" switch on nearest tone control, and a split switch on other tone pot. That way with the 5-way in the bridge position I can bring in the neck and split the bridge. Lot of switching, but doable.