1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

So, I am doing it.... An SLO inspired build ***completed with clips***

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fusionbear, Sep 1, 2018.

1. rstites

rstites Member

If you're a complete novice, start with pedals or some guitar wiring and do enough to get comfortable before diving into guitar amps. The Build Your Own Clone site has a lot of very nice project pedals with excellent details. They're a little more expensive than some other sites, but I think it's worth it for their directions and forum support for someone new. The downside is that you won't learn much about how they work if you just follow the simple step-by-step directions.

There are some excellent sites out there on electronics education now. The education section of All About Circuits is pretty good. It does delve off in EE land with some calculus and complex analsis here and there, but you can learn a lot without getting into it. It has worksheets with solutions on everything. I also really like the tutorials at Electronics Tutorials for a place to go after the All About Circuits site. It doesn't have problems, solutions, etc. but does a nice job of developing introductory concepts in amplifiers, digital electronics, and a number of building block active circuits. I just found Learn About Electronics this summer. What I've vetted, looks good to me. It does a nice job of jumping over into a fair amount of audio concepts, which makes for a nice way to go for people around here.

If you start into those and have questions, ask.

When you get the basics down and feel comfortable working on low voltage circuits (run with a 9V battery) that can't possibly hurt you, then I'd move onto tube amps. If you dive in, you'll get there pretty quickly.

bluescast likes this.
  2. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

Nice! Sounds great. You have great taste in amps, beer and women. Have a Delirium Tremens on me. So who's the Korean girl in your avatar?

fusionbear likes this.
  3. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

40 year old Kim Sa-Rang, former Miss Korea. One of the few "good girls" of the Korean entertainment industry.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    44 and feeling it likes this.
  4. fusionbear

Yes, I redid the math and that is very accurate. $1,400.00 in parts alone. It would have been an additional $125.00 if I bought the Onetics transformers. This is why I really had to think about this build. I could have bought a vintage 2203/2204 with that kind of money. But, I am very content with the build. It has exceeded my expectations considerably...:D

GT100, Hacksaw, ericb and 2 others like this.
  5. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Member

Yep, parts are expensive when you aren't working with economies of scale. My SLO build was about $1800 in parts. Conservatively, if I added in 20 hours of labor at a minimum wage I'd have to charge $2,100 just to break even. When I sold it people were offering me like $800. You can't even get the cost of parts back on amps unless you're a famous amp tech. Even if the it's the same parts and the same, if not better, build quality. Marketing is everything. There's a certain high-gain Jose amp out right now marketed using a Swedish metal band. People are dropping $3,000+ for it without blinking. Yet the build quality is suspect and the amp is nothing new. I've built the same circuit a bunch of times and people run when I tell them sorry I won't sell it to you for $900. Parts alone equal twice that. Nobody is getting rich building guitar amps lol.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    GT100, big mike, wntbtw and 6 others like this.
  6. fusionbear

I ended up ordering a British Green tolex head shell, with gold string and hardware. I thought that would look classy and represent the lineage of the circuit well. My next dilemma is what to name this amp.....first world problems....:rolleyes:

7. rstites

rstites Member

Yep. When I hear people complain about the cost of something like Soldanos new, it makes me roll my eyes. Mike certainly had economies of scale compared to a hobbiest, but not compared to the big amp manufacturers and then does it in the same place he lives. I assume he did fine over the years, but I don't remotely think he (or any of his comparable) were making it rich doing this.

I got asked about that a decade, or so, back when it came up how much I enjoy playing with this stuff on the side. My projections were that if I made it big time and could successfully settle in as a known amp manufacturer, I could probably just about make half what I can as an engineer "working for the man".......oh and I get benefits this way too! :) Sadly, I'm too busy with the rest of life to do much on the side now, either with amps or cars (my other tinkering hobby). I have a poor chassis I drilled and laid out two cross-country moves ago, that still hasn't had the board wired up for it.

mcuguitar and ducmike like this.
  8. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

SLObear?

fusionbear likes this.
  9. fusionbear

Yep, I am in a similar position. I am now a Director of Technical training. Lots of perks and bennies. I would have to sell a lot of amps to match my whole remuneration package. What is nice is the freedom to experiment and build as I please.

wntbtw and coldengray like this.
  10. rstites

rstites Member

I'd be really tempted to call it the D-Type or something similar to match the color scheme, but that's probably just speaking to my lack of imagination.

Who'd you get the box from? Those are the things that always mess up my pricing. I anticipate the big dollars for transformers, but the most expensive thing is the damn box. I used to build my own, but it really isn't my strong suit.

11. fusionbear

I have been using Sourmash for a few years now. Great work and great value.

wntbtw likes this.
  12. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I like the British Racing Green look on amps, good call. The amp sounds killer!

fusionbear likes this.
  13. fusionbear

Nameplate came in from our very own @slinger72

Thank you again for the great service!
    Head cab is slated to arrive by the end of the week!!! Woo hoo!

14. Advisable Owl

Advisable Owl Member

There are a couple of others out there that use suspect transformers as well that cost similar amounts...

fusionbear likes this.
  15. ROKY

ROKY Member

1st world : Yes,Hello
    3rd World: Esse,Hola

16. slinger72

slinger72 Supporting Member

ALWAYS A PLEASURE MY MAN!

17. fusionbear

I was thinking Shlomo....:p

It means wise and peaceable....

technomancer likes this.
  18. Hulakatt

Hmm... You could build one amp for each of the 7 Deadly Sins. This could be SLOth.

If I had built a 100 watt behemoth with a huge bottom end, I would probably name it Leviathan.

technomancer likes this.
  19. fusionbear

Ooh! Nice! I like....

technomancer likes this.
  20. Hulakatt

It is a really good excuse to build more amps too :D

If you take requests, I'll take an AC30 based head (with tremolo) named for Pride. Yes I do like U2, why do you ask?

technomancer likes this.