So, I am doing it.... An SLO inspired build ***completed with clips***

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fusionbear, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

Would you elaborate what are the suspect transformers? Thanks

fusionbear likes this.
  2. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Here is a quick clip of the build at bedroom volume:

HoboMan, draelyc, JVJ and 17 others like this.
  3. fusionbear

For the tech guys out there, the mercury magnetics PT is rated at 600 mA on the secondary. Plenty of power available! Its the MSUPB-100-P. The OT is O100JM. Choke is a modern Marshall 250 mA, 3 hy.

Advisable Owl, GT100 and technomancer like this.
  4. louis

louis Supporting Member

Ha !!
    -Right amount of thump!
    -Right amount of low juicy
    mids !
    -Right amount of chewyness!
    -Right amount of highs !

Now we gonna have to reverse engineer a FusionBear take on a Soldano with some tweaks !! :D

Well done Carl !! ;)

GT100, wntbtw and fusionbear like this.
  5. Fret-Shredder

Fret-Shredder Member

Awesome sounding build. Nice chops too.

Rossi163, wntbtw and fusionbear like this.
  6. fusionbear

JVJ, Wagster, GilmourD and 8 others like this.
  7. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

Damn dude. Sounds awesome.

Congrats.

8. wntbtw

wntbtw Member

9. fusionbear

Thank you! The good news is that I didn't do anything really different. I will explain so that anybody can tackle it.

As for the circuit, I used the Avenger as the basis. The Avenger is the SLO without the crunch/clean circuit. Secondly, I eliminated the second cathode follower used as a recovery stage of the effects loop. On the first cathode follower, I eliminated the voltage divider on the cathode and just have a 100k to ground there and feed the tone stack. After the asymmetrical cold clip stage, which is the third triode, I used both a 330k to ground and the 2.2m to ground before the 220k grid stop resistor to keep the levels as close to stock into the first cathode follower since the clean/crunch impedance is eliminated. The power supply circuit had to be adjusted since I used Mercury Plexi PT and OT. The PT is the kind that requires a bridge rectifier. I used a dpdt standby switch that breaks the ac going to the bridge. This is much safer. Breaking DC is always hard on switches and causes arcing. But, I normally leave it on anayway. I am in the camp that does not like standby switches and prefers not to use them.
    I used two 385V/350uf in series for the plates (175uf total). The center tap goes to the middle junction there to balance the voltage between the two caps. The choke was taken from a plexi reissue Marshall and is the typical 250 mA/3Hy. type. The screens get two 500V/250uf in series with 220k resistors across them to keep them in check (125uf total). From there, I used a drop resistor to the PI that gets 500V/50uf. And from the PI it splits to two 15k's to the preamp. They each get 500V/16uf. I used the Metro loop. It is wired between the treble pot and MV. I feed its power supply from the PI/cathode follower node and used a 56k resistor to get the voltage in its proper range. I used the same resistors and caps that Soldano uses and sourced them from Mouser electronics.
    I used EL34'S so, the screen grid resistors are 1k. I used 1 ohm on the cathodes to ground so I can check the current. I used a 50k pot on the bias circuit so I have plenty of range. I may try kt77's after these wear out and see how they do. Lastly, I added a .001 over a 220k for a fixed resonance on the 8 ohm tap to the negative feedback. In the presence circuit I used the "old-school" 5k "scratchy" type as it gives better taper. I prefer that circuit in most of my builds. I used PEC pots throughout, but I always disassemble them, clean and relube before using them. I got a few duds before, so I always double check them before I use them. I think that's it...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    mody, JVJ, jdel77 and 4 others like this.
  10. louis

louis Supporting Member

Lets call it Carl's Secret Sauce !:D

fusionbear likes this.
  11. fusionbear

coldengray and 1bluzman like this.
  12. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Nice box! So @fusionbear , how does the high gain channel clean up with the volume rolled back?

13. fusionbear

That's a good question. I have time to play with it tonight. I will let you know...

14. louis

louis Supporting Member

Forgot to ad that I think it's very generous of you to share your building process!!........Says a lot about you !!
    I'm no tech but I'm sure some of us will be happy to have their future amp build by you !!

Class act for sure !!;)

15. guitarranch

guitarranch Supporting Member

Got to hear the "Sloth" this evening at my good friend Carl's(Fusionbear's)house after several hours of burn-in time. The amp sounds absolutely amazing.It has the most pleasing overdrive and tone that I've heard in quite some time and ranks as one his best builds.It's the best of both worlds and made me wonder why Mike Soldano didn't think to include this type of build among his line of amps. Even the low sensitivity input sounds very organic and musical. We had a great time this evening talking,listening to music while Carl installed old Gibson T-tops in my R8 and USA Dean Michael Schenker V. We tested a Fortin Grind into the low sensitivity input of Carl's hybrid SLO and were quite pleased at what this pedal does. All in all it was a good evening for two tone junkies.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    joevacc, JVJ, jdel77 and 3 others like this.
  16. fusionbear

Final Pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Sirloin had asked if it cleans up well with your volume pot on your guitar. The answer is: It depends. If you have the gain past noon, it cleans up ok, but not like a plexi or a trainwreck. Below noon and it does sufficiently well.

Coolidge, spaceman39, LCW and 10 others like this.
  17. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Member

Sounds great!

What caps did you use for tone stack treble cap and whatnot? Look like multi-layer ceramics?

18. Advisable Owl

Advisable Owl Member

That PT is pretty stiff on the secondary compared to most Marshall's correct?

19. fusionbear

Murata Multi Layer 1kv.

Curious as to what you used in your builds. I liked what Larry from Larry amps had to say on one of your build threads at rig-talk.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  20. fusionbear

Yes, very stout! I checked with Patrick @ Mercury to be sure. This is what you want with this circuit. The preamp does the tone shaping and the power amp section delivers that to your cabs.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018