So i am playing with ... and a friend comes home... and

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by macmax77, Sep 22, 2008.

1. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I am playing dowsntairs when a friend of mine comes home and i am told he wants to talk to me.

I go upstairs to the second level and he is there sitting with a smile on his face and asks me what amp was i playing.
    I ask him why and he says it sounded like my old Tremoverb so i play along and told him i bought it back(my old Tremoverb) and i was just checking it out.

Then we talk for a few minutes until we go down stairs and his jaw hits the floor when he finds out i am playing a small practice amp a friend loaned me.

I am using my pedals, which flew down here to the caribbean with me thru a small SS laney amp (some hardcore thing, or something like that and he is in disbelief)

Then he says he doesn't nderstand why i keep wasting money buying different amps since i tend to sound the same thru all of them, no matter if they are Buddas, Fenders or Mesas.
    It is True, i tend to sound the same no matter what amp i am playing.

I will be playing live Thursday night and maybe tonight, i might use a friends Lonestar, i think i keep trying amps just because of the feel and that 10% in sound, since i always sound the same....

Does this happen to you guys?

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Happens ALOT.

Over time I tend to dial in the same tone, regardless of amp.

While you say '10% in sound', I think it's less, more like less than 5% in most situations. 10% I'm definitely paying for, I'm gonna pause paying an extra 2k on 2%.

Lately, I've been doing experiments with another guitarist dialing me in, while I play. They tend to hear things slightly differently, and adds variety to my tone.

3. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Absolute truth. I've listened to recordings of myself through a lot of gear and I pretty much sound like no matter what. Holds true for friends too, I just don't have the heart to tell them. Sure, there are subtle variations depending on the stuff, but honesty, the differences don't justify all the worry. It's kind of freeing really, and once you come to terms with it you can save a whole bunch of money on gear.

4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

If an amp can't make me sound the same I'm not that interested in the amp, but I am not all that hard to please. That last 10% can be a bear, though.:NUTS

5. macmax77

oh, wheen i said 10% it was just a number.
    How can we even measure that, ahahhahahhaha.

But yes, i tend to sound the same no matter what gear i plug into, except for Marshalls, that i frankly cannot understand at all.

6. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I have seen this time and time again with many amps and not just myself. Some of my band mates over the years as well.

7. jtm622

jtm622 Member

Maybe your pedals tend to make every amp you play thru "sound the same"...
    If you plug direct into, say... a Mesa Lonestar - and compare that particular sound to the sound you get going direct into that SS Laney; I'll bet that you would be able to hear a HUGE difference...

8. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I'd have to agree, however, I believe different amps bring out different aspects of my playing. I can hear the difference and become more inspired with a good amp which I believe translates to better playing...
    I'm sure there's some kind of mathematical equation in there...:messedup LOL

9. macmax77

i never really used pedals before, it was guitar-cable-amp.

I give you the Lonestar-Laney(SS) comparison, it is true, there would be an ocean of difference, but when playing thru a Fender Prosonic-Mesa Tremoverb-Lonestar, etc(amps that could be in the same quality class-league) even when they are completely diff animals i get the same sound each time.

With the pedals i take all that it is lacking in the Laney and somehow i just go for the same sound each time.
    I think i have it in my head and that is what i aim for all of the time.
    The feel is something else thou, great amps have that "feel" you need in your hands!
    :D

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  10. macmax77

I completely agree here!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is something that you cannot feel with amps of a lesser God!:D

11. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I sound like me through a 100 watt Plexi, Twin Reverb or 25 watt SS Ibanez Toneblaster.

12. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Yep. What everybody else said. :)

13. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

All about the feel for me. I tried to love the Komet Concorde, but it just felt far too fast for me -- I could barely play it well. But my Komet 60 (tube-rectified) responds perfectly to my playing. Same thing for the Kingsley I just sold. An amp that responds like I need it to enhances my playing far better than a great sounding amp that I can't play as well.