So I Am Working W/ GB, Firewire, What's Next?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by yZe, Feb 1, 2008.

1. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Okay, so i am able to copy paste tracks in GB, lay down solos over imported mp3 backing tracks.

I have sonor 5, also which a friend gave to me free of charge (the actual original issue CD ROM and book). Is that worth installing and is it superior to Garage Band?

SHould my next item to buy be a tube mic preamp?

2. shawntp

shawntp Member

What are you recording? A guitar Cab?

Garageband is actually quite good as of version 4/2008 from last summer.
    It supports automation, takes, etc.

If you are recording open air Electric guitar you are probably using an SM57 or similar. I put a SM57 on the grill and then a Neumann TLM103 back a bit.

As for a "tube" preamp, just because something is tube does not really make it better. A good mic pre is a good mic pre (solid state or tube). Some solid mic pre's are better and more "tube like" (i guess meaning they give you warm fuzzies/harmonics/etc) than some of the cheap tube pres.

If you are just laying down solo's over backing tracks then I would not beat yourself up and just record.

3. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Thanks for the reply

Yes, I mic a cab w/ a 57

I am hoping to do more than just blow solos over backing tracks, but I was wondering how I can get the overall production and mix more full production sounding

If you listen to the tracks in my sig (the Bluesion link) you will see that the mix sounds inhibited and squashed

Here are some more things I hope to accomplish:

Block out lead guitar and vocal frequencies and use original band tracks for practice (i.e. Jeff Beck's "Cause we ended, or Simply Red's Holding Back the years)

Record a full drum kit through an external mixing board into the GB/firewire rig

I'd like to do my originals as better than average demos

I do have sonor 5 and was wondering if tht's worthwhile

4. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

I'm confused.

Garageband= Apple only

Sonar= Windows only

Do you have two different machines?

If so, Sonar will have more features, more "stuff" than Garageband. But Garageband, especially the latest versions, are essentially just stripped down versions of the Logic code and can create really cool tracks.

5. in a little row

in a little row Member

Id recommend investing in a new mic, then a pre
    I prefer condenser mics to dynamics (ie: 57s) and in my experience a mic pre makes a big improvement...while it is true that there are non-tube pre amps that are high quality, most people prefer tube, for warmth of tone and for some natural compression...

What is your input/interface...obviously youre using a mac, laptop?...do you have a UST device for audio in? Or do you use the macs mic in jack?
    A fully functional audio interface (USB or firewire) would also be useful acquisition

j

6. getbent

getbent Member

if your plan is just to do what you have been doing but expand your tonal palette... I'd go buy the 70 toneport from line 6... the amp models and effects included are terrific and you can keep editing the sounds even after you have captured your tracks. it is a nice little capture device.

you might also buy jampack 2 or 3 the rhythm one.. it is really good.

and I'd look at the big fish audio stuff for additional loops within the style you like.... so you can build your own jam tracks.

7. Orren

Orren Member

My guess is the following:

yZe is a new Mac user, and doesn't know much about anything computer or audio related. He's currently using GarageBand, because it comes on his Mac. A friend, wanting to help him out, gave him an older version of Sonar.

Alright, now for yZe: Sonar is Windows only, which means to run it on your Mac, you'll need to install "Boot Camp" which lets you run Windows as well as Mac OS X on your Mac. Sonar runs very well in Boot Camp, in fact Cakewalk themselves were showing Sonar 7 running on a Mac Pro under Boot Camp. So you can do it if you want. But keep in mind, if you do, it will mean that you won't be able to run any of your usual Mac programs, since they won't run under Windows.

Orren

8. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Cool, I'll stick w/GB, as I want to milk it and scrap sonor 5. Its weird, I thought i saw that sonor 5 was cross platform, but I guess i was WRONG - 1st time ever.:jo

I have the M-Audio firewire 410. Any suggesion on condensors?

I would like to have some that can mic up drums, cymbals, or instruments

Any suggestions?

Also, any suggestion for a middle of the road mic pre that's not to shabby?

Very cool

Orren, I'll scrap the sonor deal, then as i am 100% Mac

So, if you had the rig I have

MacBook Pro

GB

Firewire 410

What would you get so I can record live drum tracks?

I guess I would need a mixer, so are there any that you suggest ?

Also, how do I hook up an external mixer to the aforementioned rig?

One more question:

Do you know how to block out vocal and or lead guitar frequencies, yet still retain original rhythm tracks (at least the drums) ?

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

Do you want to just record a stereo drum mix? Or do you want to record say 8 individual drums tracks (snare, kick, etc.)? If the latter, then you need something like a Presonus Firepod that gives you 8 in/out via firewire simultaneously into GB. If you just want a stereo mix, your interface will do with the addition of a mixer for all of the drum mics. Personally, I'd prefer to have as many separate tracks as I could get for drums. That way if an individual drum isn't cutting it, you can EQ or compress/limit to maybe get what you want, or if need be, replace it with a drum from the GB kits, which I think are quite good. Actually, that's all I have used for drums in Logic.

10. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

And just one more suggestion... When you get set up, it would be a good idea to get an external hard drive for your audio drive. Firewire is preferred, but USB 2.0 will work, too.
    You can record to your system drive, but it's safer & smoother to let your internal system drive run the software while the audio data is going to your external.
    I use the Firewire 410 myself. Good, solid unit.

11. Vegas Bob

Vegas Bob Supporting Member

Jayson right about the drives. A great, cheap source is www.clubit.com.

12. in a little row

in a little row Member

I have a pair of AKG 200 perception series condensers that i use for live demos...not the top of the food chain, but a very, very good value for $150 each at GC...they work for everything, but remeber to read up on condensers, as they are damagable when compared to the standard '57

I usually recommend the presonus bluetube mic pre as entry level...clean, noiseless power with a pad, 80hz boost, phantom power, and a VU meter (much better than a digital peak meter)...they are about $120

remember that investining good quality patch cables and xlrs are essential as well...
    j

13. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Thank you all for contributing

Is there a way I can expand my 410 unit so that I can record a separate track for each drum, or would I have to have an interface with 5-8 XLR ins?

Also, if I went the mixer route, where in the 410 do I hook it up?