So I bought a new fender 57 custom champ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by seanp33, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Im a tube guy. That said, tube amps sound bad at bedroom levels. If the vox is too loud try an orange crush 12 wat5 or 20 watt. Cheap and solid state never sounded so good.

2. captwillard

captwillard Member

Look at a Tone King Gremlin. They sound great and it is simple to control the volume.

Tone chader likes this.
  3. douglas225

douglas225 Member

For what it's worth, I have the 57 deluxe and EC champ, and I play through both of them with a strat, tele, and Les Paul. All sound great.

The secret to these tweed amp IMO is to crank the volume up to at least 9 or 10. Then, begin to slowly roll up the volume on your guitar starting at zero. listen with your ears. To me, the point that the amp begins to give it self up is a thing of beauty. From then on, you can control everything with your right hand. The champ is fantastic at this at bedroom levels - no pedals or anything needed

4. eigentone

eigentone Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I have one of the Fender '57 Deluxe RIs (the Twin too). The Deluxe will get loud. It's not a good amp for an apartment without an attenuator.

I have mine plugged into an old Jensen. I like speakers aimed at my head, not my ankles. Somebody here on TGP once said it was perfect for home playing. I suggested he should be more careful of his hearing. Maybe that will help give you a reference point. The Deluxe would be about as loud as your AC15.

I have an attenuator, but I am not a big fan of it. It kills some dynamics and modifies the tone.

Maybe the Champ (or 5F1 copy) into a 10" or 12" is more your style. There is something special about a Class A power section.

PCalugaru, dubbinman and seanp33 like this.
  5. TJNies

TJNies Member

Beat me to posting my thoughts!

Also, Muchxs can build you a great version of a tweed Princeton, with the added feature of a switch to clean things up. So you have options about your clean or dirt! Give him a PM.

seanp33 likes this.
  6. seanp33

seanp33 Member

Thank you I'll reach out to Muchxs.

7. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

This right here. If you're running your guitar "wide open" and controlling the overall volume with the amp, you're doing it wrong. crank up the amp then control volume and overdrive with the volume knob on the guitar. I do this with the Fender Pro Junior (not exactly a "tweed" amp, but it works the same way).

Motherfuzzer likes this.
  8. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Member

A champ is a champ. Small, woody, boxy sounding. I think it’s one of those amps you either ‘get’, or you don’t.

They’re cool, some guys dink around a lot with replacement speakers etc.

9. Vibroluxman

Vibroluxman Member

Dr Z Mini Z. Much better alternative.

The stock speaker in the champ is a smooth cone. Tends to be darker and looser than one with a ribbed cone speaker

10. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Dr Z Mini Z. The new one with the 10" speaker and attenuator. It's spectacular.

I say this as a fan of smaller amps and tweed amps as well.

11. Vibroluxman

Vibroluxman Member

I bought the head and a 112 convertible with a celestion blue in it. Amazing setup for a “little” amp.

12. TJNies

TJNies Member

Do so; you will not get a better amp at a better price.

Tell him I sent you; hopefully it won't cause you pain...haha

softplay likes this.
  13. dilver

dilver Member

Funny. I just picked up this amp used for a great price, swapped out the tubes for used/NOS RCAs and I think it's killer! Everyone's interpretation of tone is different of course, but so is the interpretation of "bedroom volume". 5 watts is still relatively loud and any tube amp needs some breathing room in order sound good. Just my opinion, but you have to crank this thing to at least 5-6 to get it going. Since I got it used, I'm not sure how much time has been put on the speaker, but I'll break it in for sure :D.

My '65 DRRI is no bedroom amp and while my Swart STR Tweed is also a loud 5 watts, the '57 Custom Champ has got a thing of it's own going on. I dig it. A LOT.

Yes, there are less expensive alternatives, but if you can find the '57 Custom Champ for a good price, it's a solid piece of gear.

Tone chader likes this.
  14. Motherfuzzer

Motherfuzzer Supporting Member

I love my ECVC.

My favorite amp ever.

dilver and Tone chader like this.
  15. MikeEd

MikeEd Supporting Member

A local dealer offered to sell me a new handwired champ for $800. I liked the sound of it but I don't want to be confined to the sound of an eight inch speaker. Also I think a tone control would help improve the sound.

Now I'm looking at the Tone King Gremlin. I have not heard one in person.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018