So I bought a new Les Paul BFG...time for some mods!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by celestion101, Jul 6, 2008.

1. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

I've been intrigued by these since I first sat with one last year. Out of the blue I stumbled on a killer deal today and could not pass it up....one of those " I just stopped in to check out a new shop and walked out with a new guitar" scenarios! :D

Anyway, I gig 2-3 nights per week and have been using Nocaster's for a long time. We play a ton of country and then the occasional rock tunes, blues, etc. I've always loved the look and sound of a LP but could never get into the idea of lugging one around stage for four sets. The BFG offers a few features that will hopefully help it see a lot of stage time....first it's chambered and quite light. Secondly, I love the chunky neck (again, I play Nocaster's with baseball bat necks). Thirdly, I have a few ideas about re-wiring it. I think I will replace the pups, and then wire the three way back in it's tradtional spot. Then I will use the lower toggle as a coil tap for the bridge pup. This would make it quite useful for my needs. Any thoughts, experiences, or suggestios would be coolio. Especially regarding the pup selections since I've been a single coil guy forever. I was thinking Suhr becsue I heard they they have a convincing sound when tapped. Oh, and it's the 'ink" blue one. Really sweet looking for a non traditional LP.

Cheers,
    Rick

2. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

yeah, those BFG are pretty cool. and the price is totally hackable. almost oddly so... hmmm better stay away from the guitar shops. or at least be sure I leave the wallet at home.

i must say i think the BFG kill-switch thing is BF-retarded. i'd bag that in a nano-second, and agree using the existing switch spot for a coil tap or phase or something...

nothing like a good P-90 for a huge range of tone and styles so I'd keep that type there, but personally i'd go vintage LP for the bridge - I love me a good vintage PAF repro in an LP... yeah I know it's boring but there's a reason it's an icon. Lollar or Fralin come to mind but Curt Novak makes a great P-90 too and he'll hand wind it however you want it...

3. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

4. AlexF

AlexF Member

I bought one for gigging for exactly the same reasons as you. I rewired it to stock LP, changed the bridge pup only as i wasnt keen on the stock BB3, the neck P90 is fine. I also found I had to have fretboard markers for those dark stage moments - dots went in. If you keep the neck P90, you need to be careful about which humbucker you select as PAF types arent man enough to balance with the neck P90. In the end I settled for an overwound (~12K) A2 pup which is very good (a tonerider rocksong believe it or not!). Its a good workmanlike guitar for decent money.
    Al

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

6. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

i played one locally. it's very cool. plugged into a vibroking, i didn't mind the bridge pickup at all. it worked well with the p90. light, fast neck, love the knobs. for the money it's a killer deal.

7. celestion101

Thanks for the tips guys, definately some great suggestions. It's funny, when everyone says 'for the money', I know you're referring to the basic sell price which is incredible for such a nice guitar. But get this, I actually scored this brand new in a Gibson case for $750 out the door, and that was not direct from Gibson (which I could have done as a "industry accomodation"). That's a lot of guitar for the money!

8. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I was thinking about getting one and still might. I had an offer of one for $649 used and I let it go because it was the gold finish and I didn't like it. I want a red or blue one. Black would be acceptable. Gibson almost immediately jacked the prices way up on these guitars the way they do with almost everything.

I like the kill switch, because I use that "toggling" sound here and there.
    I would add a truss rod cover, switch tips, different knobs (the wooden ones look stupid). I would also most likely give the top a coat or two of satin clear lacquer to lessen the bare wood look.

9. celestion101

I just ordered the "treble / rhythm" jack plate and a few other bits to give it a traditional vibe. The wood knobs on the blue finish do not bug me so much, but I have a set of traditioal black LP knobs should I change my mind. I'm most excited about the weight which feels around 8lbs (guestimate). I just know it's a bit heavier than my Nocaster but a helluva lot lighter than the other LP's I've owned or played.

10. AlexF

AlexF Member

fair do's I get the message:
    [​IMG]

all the missing parts added, changed h/b, changed knobs, standard LP wiring, decent gigging guitar. I justified my choice of cheaper instruments by breaking off the headstock after about a month of ownership. I stuck it on agains with twin pack glue most successfully, all it cost me was the glue... Could I do that with an historic? er no.
    Al
    ps forgive the drunken grin! :D

11. nagshay1818

nagshay1818 Member

Yeah, my plan is like Al's with the wiring. I plan on giving it the traditional LP look. Mine is a red one. I'm going to stain the top a darker red though and coat all the bare wood with red. I'm also going to replace all the hardware with gold hardware. Even getting a gold cover for my BB3.