So i bought a Tweed Peavey Classic 30....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gtrplayer23, Jan 6, 2008.

1. gtrplayer23

gtrplayer23 Member

great little amp but i was wondering what mods people have done to them tube and speaker wise. any input would be great. thanks

Mark

2. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Congrats man! Ii never modded mine, but thats a sweet amp. The overdrive channel is SOOO nice! (cleans are excellent as well)
    :BEER

3. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I only installed a tube rattle device on mine and it never failed me.Good little amp with nice tone! Our harp player owns it now.

4. Spudman

Spudman Member

Add a 1x12 extension cabinet and maybe a re-tube and that is about all they ever need. Love mine and play it daily.

5. MartinC

MartinC Member

I have a Classic 30 too. Bang for buck they're incredible. I've been looking for a new amp for a while and I haven't found anything much better for twice the price, so I'm leaning in two directions at the moment:

1. Spend THREE times as much (SRRI, Orange Rockerverb 50 combo or H&K Duotone combo).

2. Squeeze what I can out of the C30.

My investigations (by no means exhaustive!) on the second direction have led me to the following:

Tubes

There's a range of possiblities, and opinions differ widely, but the following is what I plan to try if I don't upgrade the whole amp:

Preamp V1 - Tung-Sol 12AX7 re-issue (the tube in this spot affects the amp's tone the most)
    Preamp V2 - JJ ECC83S
    Preamp V3 - JJ ECC83S
    Power Tubes - JJ EL84s (matched set)

Speakers

There seems to be a lot of owners on the Peavey forum who like Greenbacks in there, as well as some who favour Weber Blue Dogs. I got a recommendation for 50W Weber Alnico Silver Bells from Eurotubes ... I asked for something that would give me better touch sensitivity and dynamic response and a smoother overdrive.

As the previous post says, there are more than a few owners who swear by the 1x12 extension, and I seem to remember a Greenback in the combo and the stock Blue Marvel from the combo in the extension cab is a good way to go. Peavey don't make the 1x12 extension cabs (112e) anymore and I think they're quite hard to get 2nd hand though ... might have to go with a non-matching cab.

Have a search on the Peavey forum and on here for more information and other viewpoints.

Good luck ... and enjoy your amp ... as others have said, and I agree, pretty tasty straight out of the box.

6. Migs

Migs Member

JJ re-tube is a good start - I am thinking about changing my speaker these days

7. oxtone

oxtone Member

I bought a new Tweed Classic 30 when they first came out.

The best speaker I've found for it is the Mojotone BV-30H.
    I did have a Vintage 30 in it for some time, which sounded BIG,
    but it had that mid-hump I didn't like. The Mojotone is just clearer
    and has sweeter mids and highs, as well as good bottom end.

I also tube it with all JJ tubes - ECC83S's and EL84's. Good tubes
    for this amp.

I also recently installed the Peavey Tube Guard for it - I got from the Peavey Parts Dept.,
    and they paid for shipping. It's a good addition, as I've broken a tube in this amp before.
    There are also after market tube guards for it - just do a Google search and you'll see them.

8. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I run mine with the 112E extension speaker. I swapped out the cab's blue marvel with a Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog 30w no dope speaker, JJ tubes and a Tom's tube tamer.

[​IMG]

I also have a Classic 20 with a 10-inch Weber Blue Pup, JJs and a homemade reverb. It's one mean mutha...especially when running a 2x12 cab!!!

[​IMG]

9. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Put a Mullard in the v1 slot and that amp comes alive. A marked difference.

10. gtrplayer23

gtrplayer23 Member

11. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I sometimes use JJ power tubes in mine, but I've never liked the JJ pre-amp tubes in the C30. I've gotten much better results with NOS Mullard's or RCA's. JJ's make mine sound like someone threw a blanket on it.

12. joel98z

joel98z Member

Great amps.. I got the classic 50, probally best tube amp for under 500.. I second the JJ tubes and look into a greenback for the speaker.

13. bbgie1223

bbgie1223 Supporting Member

14. odtobe

odtobe Member

In light of this discussion, does anyone have a 112e to move?

15. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

It's true, zombies do exist!

You did notice this thread has been dead for over 6 years? You might want to start a new thread.