So I bought a Windows phone today.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Blix, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

My son who is a phone killer wants the iPhone he gave me last year back, so I had to look for something new today.
    Ended up with a Microsoft Lumia 640 after a glowing review in a national newspaper/tech mag. It's an inexpensive phone , probably well under $200 in the US.

Quite impressive, great camera and the Windows software seems quite good.
    Have all the apps I need too, no problems there.

The iPhone 5s is great, but it was really nice having a decently large screen again.

http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/phone/lumia640-lte/specifications/

[​IMG]

Does not feel like a budget phone at all, recommended! :)

2. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

very cool. I love my windows phone. very simple interface, very easy to sync up with a windows computer. it's true that it does not have many apps compared to apple/android, but I don't use more than a couple apps anyways.
    for those looking for a PHONE, I don't believe windows can be beat at the moment.

3. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

My Lumia Icon is solid. WP could use some developer love but otherwise I like it, and I've had all 3 platforms for a significant time.

4. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Congratulations on buying the HD-DVD of cell phones.

5. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

Ok that was funny right there.

6. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Haha. Feels like a nice upgrade from The 5s so far. Time will tell :)

7. Rattles

Rattles Member

I LOVE my Windows phone!!

Good choice!

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

wait what?

that's not what the word "give" means.

9. mattamatta

mattamatta Member

Sounds like he didn't specify that it was gifted. :munch

10. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

Funny you should mention that. I'm starting to not like my s5 after the last update. I dI'd cLear the cache aND it works again, bUT its still not as fast. . So is there a list of what apps you can get?

11. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

If any of you guys would have tried a droid, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

12. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

I too love my windows phone, this after many years as a loyal iPhone user. Got to say I don't miss Apple even a little bit!

I did try a Samsung Galaxy S4 for a few months but the bugs and battery life just didn't cut it. And this was on Android 4.4.

The windows phone I have, the battery lasts for a couple of days and it never seems to hang up or re-boot on it's own. Best part of all - NO iTunes :)

13. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Wow!!

Where have you been hiding! :eeks

I did the android thingy and I love it, but Windows was high on the list. :mmm

What I find is, if you keep the GPS and WiFi on, it will suck the juice no matter what OS. My Moto X will last 3 days without WiFi and I just turn it on when I need to browse to something :dunno

14. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

He had wrecked it and said I could have it if I managed to fix it, which I did. :)
    And now he's without a phone again and was getting desperate. :)

15. hackenfort

I have the 635, and leave wifi gps Bluetooth, on all the time.

Don't talk a lot, but browse the web way too much along with text more than I'd care too - seems everyone would rather text than talk.

Typically get 3+ days on a charge, only thing I'd change is I wish it had a larger screen, so I may upgrade when a deal comes along.

One feature I just love with the windows phone, that I couldn't get the apple or android to do. In my Toyota car, the windows phone, will read the text to me, and allow to reply to text all hands free thru the Bluetooth setup.

16. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

Droid was my least favorite of three. My iPhone was a good work phone because it had a great PDF scanner app, windows phone is awesome for my personal stuff, but Droid seemed to be a PIA for everything.

17. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

I agree. I would have put Android first if it was more stable but there's just too much to turn on and off only to have it go on again and losing the ability to send texts at random intervals and restarting the thing all the time felt a lot like Windows ME. iPhone and Windows phone are just more hassle free. All these phones do everything for the most part, I just need it to work. And 20MP with dual flash and nice glass in my pocket doesn't hurt either.

18. hackenfort

I would totally agree, I have an Android tablet, and while I love the interface, it's so un-stable at times and hangs up way too often.

Android has evolved way beyond, but stability isn't great in my experience. I've been looking at an Android Media player - as their Play Store and others have developed so much. But when I turn my tablet on (Nexus 7) I re-think adding another Android device to the house - and the fall out when other family members are using it.

In the early days of the iPhone, they just worked and so simple to use. (I always thought the iPhone was the best for tech challenged people). This is where the WP really shines, it just works, its fast and simple interface too.

I may look at a Surface soon, as I'm so happy with the Windows phone.

19. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

You are right... .he would be too busy using a task killer app or rebooting to have the time to blog LOL

20. Washburnmemphis

Washburnmemphis Member

+ 1,000,000