So I bought a Xotic Wah - it's great...BUT

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Miketheslav, Jun 26, 2020 at 12:10 PM.

Tags:

What would you do?

1. Ask for partial refund and keep the pedal

18.1%
  2. Return pedal and eat shipping costs

1.2%
  3. Politely insist seller pay for shipping returns

7.6%
  4. Get over it

73.1%
  1. Miketheslav

Miketheslav Silver Supporting Member

The BUT:

The Reverb seller stated it comes with original box and paperwork and I paid a fair rate keeping that in mind. But when the package arrived it came in a mission engineering pedal box and no original paperwork. Turns out his wife put the pedal in the wrong box and shipped it out.

Edit: The reason why it's in a mission engineering box is because he also sold one of those and his wife put that pedal in the xotic box (as I understand it). So that's why he can't just send the original box.

So, given that he did sell the pedal as described, I asked for either a partial refund or a full return and he pays shipping (since it's his mistake).

Now, he balks, won't offer any partial refund since it's just 'paper and a box' says I'm accusing him of lying, even though he literally told me it came with the original box and paperwork in our messages.

Anyhoo, am I the a**hole for asking for a partial refund or that he cover shipping since it's the sellers mistake and he misrepresented what I would get?

ciclosonico likes this.
  2. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

What kind of partial refund are you looking for? You could easily ask him to send you the box and papers. He can simply o fold the box and ship it in a flat envelop that USPS can provide.

Millo 4.0 likes this.
  3. Miketheslav

Oh, I forgot to mention: Edit: The reason why it's in a mission engineering box is because he also sold one of those and his wife put that pedal in the xotic box (as I understand it). So that's why he can't just send the original box.

C-4 and RolandKorg like this.
  4. Miketheslav

Oops - forgot to add this: Edit: The reason why it's in a mission engineering box is because he also sold one of those and his wife put that pedal in the xotic box (as I understand it). So that's why he can't just send the original box.

5. Miketheslav

I'm thinking like 15$-20$. Is that too much, too little? He did accidentally include an EWS plate which is about 20$ as well.

EL34 likes this.
  6. jnepo1

Yeah, you bought a used pedal from Reverb, and you can easily download the manual from the Xotic site. Honestly, it's a minor mistake that you've pointed out to the seller already. Personally I'd let it go.

7. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

Then, I guess my answer would depend on your reason for needing/wanting the original box. If it’s because you’re a collector, I guess you need to return it. If you’re like me, and appreciate when a seller has the original stuff, because it might mean he’s conscientious/obsessive like i am, and maybe that means the pedal has been cared for, then I’d look at the Wah, and decide if it’s in a good enough condition, as expected, and then decide i don’t have to have the box. Then I’d assess how polite/contrite the seller was, and just get over it if he’s a decent dude making a reasonable mistake.

flatdream, 5F6-A, Coltoncc and 2 others like this.
  8. jnepo1

Honestly, it's a box and manual. Let it go. I can understand asking $5-10 for shipping but I'd just drop it.

Cousin, RicOkc, skullfunkerry and 5 others like this.
  9. Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT Member

I'd probably just drop it too but at the same time wtf is this guys wife packaging up his pedals?

When I sell something on Reverb or wherever, if it has a box it's put in there before I list it and it doesn't come out of it until it's sold or I decide to do something else with it because no one is biting.

Everyone ask yourself, what state are you in to put something you're selling in the wrong box and blaming your wife for it?

I would move on though but perhaps let others know about it with your feedback.

unk, Mayor McCheese, dshobe and 6 others like this.
  10. |\|\|\

|\|\|\ Member

do you find the tone of the wah lacking on account of the absent cardboard

11. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

Post a box trade in the emporium. Maybe the buyer of the mission pedal is a forum member. Think of it as an adventure in meeting someone new as a result of this horrendous unfortunate box debacle. Otherwise I’d let it go.

flatdream, 2pods, uab9253 and 8 others like this.
  12. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later

You did mention that in your original post.
    If the pedal works, and you are happy, I'd keep it.
    The onoly reason to either ask for a partial refund or full refund is if you [plan to flip it.

However, if you went through one of the selling services like Reverb or Ebay, you may wind up with some backlash, or a refusal from either service, if you bought through their site, to agree that the wah was misrepresented.

This is a tricky situation.

13. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

I'd pay a bit more for a pedal with the correct box. It suggests the owner took better care of it. Of course, that may not be true at all, but that's an assumption, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that way. Ask owner if Mission pedal guy wants to trade boxes.

ZENTISH, mildew and ClickClack like this.
  14. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Are the original feet and bottom plate there? If not, I’d be more annoyed about that than the box, since I run my wah on the floor.

RicOkc likes this.
  15. whateverdude

whateverdude Silver Supporting Member

So basically dudes wife doesn’t know how to read? It’s on him to get you a partial refund because it didn’t come as stated in the sale ad. Reverb will side with you on this.

16. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Wise people have said tone is in the fingers, but in reality tone is in the cardboard, warranty information in six languages and maybe a sticker.

17. reg46

reg46 Member

this happened me recently but the pedal was as described the price was right and i said to the seller i would like the original box and papers if he finds it and i'll split the shipping, he never did and i haven't thought about it since this thread.

Millo 4.0 likes this.
  18. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

I think you're absolutely correct in wanting what you paid for and what was advertised. Seller absolutely has to do right by you on this one, as they admitted a mistake and you purchased it thinking you were getting the original box. That might not matter to some people, but it definitely matters to me. I won't ever buy pedals without the box unless it comes with a steep discount.

Personally, I'd probably just return it and get a full refund, as I doubt the seller will give you what you think the missing box is worth.

19. Miketheslav

Lol, that has nothing to do with it. It's a great pedal, it's more so the seller told me it was included (and as some have noted - that's pretty important should I ever go to sell it, I'm not flipping it, but ya'll know how it goes sometimes you get tired of one pedal and want another so out one goes) and it shows up and it's not and he accuses me of calling him a liar. He did eventually say he was sorry and that he read my message wrong, so hopefully this will get resolved but I was curious to know what others' thoughts are.

I know some on TGP are sticklers for having pedals without velcro, with original box and papers etc. so I know I'm not the only one here. And no, tone isn't in the box and I never thought it was ;)

GoGoRilla, mildew, 76_Futura and 4 others like this.
  20. Miketheslav

Ha, again - no claims to tone being in the cardboard box.

2pods likes this.