So I bought a Xotic Wah - it's great...BUT

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Miketheslav, Jun 26, 2020 at 12:10 PM.

Tags:

What would you do?

1. Ask for partial refund and keep the pedal

18.1%
  2. Return pedal and eat shipping costs

1.2%
  3. Politely insist seller pay for shipping returns

7.6%
  4. Get over it

73.1%
  1. Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT Member

Then why advertise it in your Reverb ad?

The seller should have said "i have the original box and papers etc and MAYBE i'll send those too, but just to be clear my wife will be packaging this up and well......just be happy with the wah ok? I think she can manage that part hopefully"

That would be honest, and also not exactly comforting to someone looking at purchasing a pedal that seems to be pretty abundantly available on Reverb.

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  2. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

3. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

If it actually matters to you, ask for a full refund and return it. If not, asking for a partial refund does seem petty to me.

4. ckfoxtrot

ckfoxtrot Member

I'm on the side of sellers delivering exactly what they advertise and, if there's a mistake or something happens, making it right without blaming the buyer or having an attitude about it.

5. babbyb

babbyb Supporting Member

Certainly the marketplace is bigger, but "it's a collectible item" is my entire point: this box was definitely NOT a collectible item...until it was.

Pedals from the '60s and '70s with original boxes and documents absolutely command a premium vs. those without. Sure, the Xotic Wah may not ever be desirable at the level of an original Fuzz Face, but what if it is? The same principle will apply.

6. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg I Drink and I Know Things. Silver Supporting Member

Send an email to Xotic. Other companies like Walrus Audio have been happy to send out a missing box and accoutrements.

Worth a shot if it truly troubles you.

I've made the mistake of switching two pedals into two boxes to different buyers. The guys had to mail them back to me and wait for the switch. I made sure that both guys were compensated for the inconvenience and I was overly contrite about it. Everyone involved had a good disposition over it so that helped. If OP's seller is already aggressive, hopes of resolution through simple means seem off the table.

7. jwny72

jwny72 Member

8. Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT Member

But do you know the dimensions of the original boxes for each wah?

Maybe the Xotic is a grower and not a show-er? While the Mission is the opposite?

I want the original ad, and I also really want to know what both boxes look like at this point.

Maybe the Xotic box is hot as ****, in which case I'd be 100% on the OP's side assuming it was actually listed as being included.

Also if the seller took pics with the box for his ad and didn't include it that would take it to another level IMO.

You know what's wrong with this world these days? No one seems to value principles anymore and it's totally fine to be incompetent apparently.

I don't care about a box, but if you advertise it and **** it up, and then give me attitude about asking about this omission, well it becomes a thing of principles.

I'm a push-over though so I would totally let it go but some people aren't push overs and those people can make a difference for the rest of us.

I want to see the ad, and I'm also gonna go do some searches on the boxes. I've never been so curious about original packaging in my life.

Is it a nice box? Is the graphic design admirable (if there is any). How many ply is the cardboard and how well thought out is the assembly/disassembly of said box?

9. Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT Member

Ok it took me a while and I had to use Bing (I don't know why, but Bing gives me better image and video results than google)

Finally seen the Xotic box. Not bad.....

jeff_lebowski likes this.
  10. Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT Member

11. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

I dont think it the price matters Mr. John Suhr. If we are going to continue to have consumer confidence buying things online from faceless people there has to be accountability.

He should be offering the plate back in order to recieve the box he would was told he was getting. Its a stupid box but he payed money for it plain and simple. His money. He wanted it, it was to be included and he should get it.

I agree a guitar case isnt really the same thing because of cost but you could easily apply the same logic. The case doesnt REALLY matter but to some folks it really does. Who I am to pass judgment on what he wants?

He was asking for opinions, and in my opinion people shouldnt go to their own personal feelings or bias and base it on facts. Its a sales contract, if you break it you shouldnt be suprised when folks start chirping about it.

It starts with an inch and folks start taking a mile.

Also, youre an OG and I love your work. Peace!

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  12. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

Youre the real hero here!

13. Miketheslav

Miketheslav Silver Supporting Member

I'm including a screenshot of the message where I ask and get confirmed that it has original paperwork and box.

Here's a link to the original reverb ad: https://reverb.com/item/34244483-xotic-xw-1-wah-pedal-steve-stevens-phil-x-jimmy-page-frusciante

The ad doesn't say much which is why I had to personally reach out and confirm that it had the papers and he said "yup, sure does."

I will post a few more pics of the conversation too. And I think I paid 155 + 15$ shipping. So with the full refund it is 155$ all in (now some people have been persnickety about the plate, which I didn't ask for and am happy to return if asked) that's a 20$ value.

14. Miketheslav

In case some people can't see the photos, here's a copy and pasted, verbatim, excerpt below. For ease of reading I've made their messages red:

Me: Let me know what kind of discount you propose and we can see if it makes more sense to keep or return back to you .

Seller: The wah is fantastic and I’m happy to have it back. I am happy to refund you but I’m not paying the return shipping just because of a cardboard box and a piece of information card. Start the return process and once it arrives back here I will refund you the money.

Me:
    I understand that it's just 'a cardboard box and some paper' but you can reduce anything to its bare components and make it sound inconsequential. All this is over just 'some metal and plastic' after all. Original docs and boxes have monetary value - that's why I asked , and likely why you kept them rather than throwing them away immediately and why you offered an immediate refund when you realized your gf sent the wrong box.

How much are you willing to refund me because it doesn't include what you said it included?

Seller: Nice one, call me a liar! If you are not 100% satisfied and would like a refund just send it back no problem. I’m not interested in playing games as the wah is fantastic.

Me:
    I'm not calling you a liar, my very first question to you is attached here where I ask:
    "Does it come with the original box and paperwork"
    "Yup, sure does"

Help me understand how me saying 'it doesn't have the box and paperwork like you said it does' makes me calling you a liar?

Seller: I miss read [sic] your message, apologies.

Me: I'm absolutely not trying to be rude, it's an honest mistake and I totally get that. It's not a big deal, but it's a mistake nonetheless and I'm trying to figure out a fair way to keep both of us satisfied. What kind of partial refund can you offer or would you reconsider paying for return shipping?

Alternately, if there's a way to get me the original box (if you still have it or if the mission engineering person wants their box) then I'm def open to that as well.

Seller: Ok. The EWS plate that is with is was a mistake too and they are $20 but I can offer you $15 partial refund but that’s all.

Me: Ok, that seems fair. I'll accept 15$ partial refund. Thanks.

15. Husky

16. Miketheslav

Yep, apart from getting a snarky 1 star review on Reverb, but oh well. 177 others can't be that wrong ;)

P.S. John - thanks for chiming in and am literally sitting here playing a 2019 Suhr Classic S Antique Roasted 3TB. Recently let a friend play it for a bit and now he says I've forever ruined him on any other S types! Thanks for your top notch work!!

17. Husky

Yeah well sometimes I wonder if it's an age thing. My father taught me it doesn't hurt to be nice. And, the customer is always right even when they are wrong. Things that seem to be forgotten these days.

awesome ! Thanks !

you'll have to let us know if the Wah was worth it ;-)

18. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Hey all! I'm selling Xotic Wah Box futures for $15. You send me $15 now, and when Xotic wah boxes become worth more than $15, you canll me, and then I need to buy one at the market price and send to you. Who's in?

(Karma: I made fun of the OP ---- and then the Prince of Tone pedal that was supposed to arrive yesterday, didn't show up -- even though the USPS tracking says it was put in my mailbox. Karma.)

19. Miketheslav

Yeah, you’ve been stoking the flames here. Much cool.