So I bought a Xotic Wah - it's great...BUT

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Miketheslav, Jun 26, 2020 at 12:10 PM.

Tags:

What would you do?

1. Ask for partial refund and keep the pedal

18.1%
  2. Return pedal and eat shipping costs

1.2%
  3. Politely insist seller pay for shipping returns

7.6%
  4. Get over it

73.1%
  1. ClickClack

ClickClack Member

(1) I'm surprised to see that this thread is still running even after the OP reported that the matter had been resolved to his satisfaction.

(2) @Totally Bored (post 199) - On behalf of the rest of us, thank you for not being a buyer or seller on eBay or Reverb, given that you think it is perfectly fine if one party to a transaction fails to deliver what has been promised. Seems like a win-win situation for you and the rest of the world.

(3) @JoeB63 (post 200) - USPS reported an Amazon parcel had been delivered to me even though there was no sign of it, and all deliveries to our apartment building are secure (no porch pirates, etc.). I waited more than a week and then the padded envelope in question finally turned up with the item inside broken and no explanation about what had happened. Amazon gave me a refund and I ordered the same item again, this time with zero problems. Here's hoping your missing PoT pedal shows up safe & sound.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020 at 4:07 PM
    JoeB63 likes this.
  2. ClickClack

ClickClack Member

It appears that you think I was referring to this specific issue, when in fact I was speaking generally about ALL on-line purchases of used gear -- and by "the rest of us," I meant the rest of the world. I was not intending to insult you, but I stand by my comment that it seems to be a good thing for you AND others that you neither sell nor buy on Reverb or eBay. The issue at hand is, broadly speaking, a breach of contract: Party A pays Party B an agreed sum to purchase an item based on the claims and assurances provided by Party B. If Party B then fails to deliver everything that was promised, hasn't Party A been taken advantage of due to false promises?

Also, I did not submit a vote in the poll, as none of the options reflected my opinion.

Peace and happy music-making to you in these troubled times. :wave

Purplexi and Miketheslav like this.
  3. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

I can't believe this thread is still going, and I DON'T believe the "get over it" people would "get over it" out in the same position. I have no idea when I buy a pedal how long it will last and the hell if I'm paying full value for anything to find out I over paid and am just "getting over it". I could be flipping that pedal in a weeks time for all I know and then I'm the guy having to sell it with no box. I sell my fair share on Reverb and I know people want the box, the papers inside, the stupid sticker, the guitar pick. If not, they offer less or buy elsewhere. End of story.

crosse79, Purplexi and Miketheslav like this.
  4. brandonhackler

brandonhackler Supporting Member

I read the update that you got a $15 refund for the excluded box. Did you return the EWS plate back to the seller? As that was also not included in the sellers original description. If you're demanding refunds for things not included it seems hypocritical to keep additional items that weren't part of the deal.

crosse79, halfmanhalfgear and kakev like this.
  5. lavinci

lavinci Supporting Member

I'd get over it pretty quickly....
    true or not true, I'd would update the reverb.com feedback for this seller....
    might be an honest mistake... or he might be a serial liar
    eventually it all catches up in the end.... help the next guy who buys off the seller.

6. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

I hope it was returned as well, at the sellers cost and time.

brandonhackler likes this.
  7. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

Technically, the OP is 100% correct, per the rules of the medium the transaction went through.

In terms of etiquette or whatever, you can pursue this petty matter or Chaulk it up to “life”. Neither is the wrong approach. Depends where your values lay.

Personally, I like boxes/manuals, and would ask that he send them or refund, but if the seller returned with any resistance, I’d say “not worth dealing with this dude any further” and move on.

Miketheslav likes this.
  8. King Rat

King Rat Member

Wow I will never consider buying an Xotic wah after reading this...

9. Miketheslav

Miketheslav Silver Supporting Member

I know, right!?

King Rat likes this.
  10. lv

lv Supporting Member

tgp gold

Miketheslav and halfmanhalfgear like this.
  11. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Having the box/paperwork affects both:

1. The potential of getting sales (1 with original box/ paper work and one without) -it’s easy to see which one most buyers would choose.

2. The resale price. If there’s box/original paper work, potential buyers are willing to pay slightly more. I am one of them and so is a lot of my friends. This only applies to pedals not shipping cartons of amps and guitars.

What people dont get is that a pedal’s box and paperwork also forms part of the product for a lot of players. The package feels more complete.

So yes, it’s within your rights to ask for a partial refund.

Miketheslav likes this.
  12. mk.ufo1988

mk.ufo1988 Member

If two pedals are being sold under the exact same circumstances and conditions, just one has the box and the other does not, people are going to choose the one with the box because they're getting everything intended.

It's like getting a new iPhone 12 in the mail and it's packed in a paper lunch sack with duct tape... wouldn't that be kind of crappy presentation for the buyer when they were "intending" or expecting something greater? A major buzzkill is what it is when you're excited about getting something new.

Sometimes I don't care if a box isn't included. It's not the main factor in a purchase, but it is nice having that stuff for collecting and resale purposes.

But if I go to McDonalds, I'm not going to freak out if they put my Big Mac in the wrong box. Sure I would be startled at first, but if it's there then it's there and my fat arse is happy.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    Miketheslav likes this.