1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

So I bought a Xotic Wah - it's great...BUT

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Miketheslav, Jun 26, 2020.

Tags:

What would you do?

1. Ask for partial refund and keep the pedal

18.3%
  2. Return pedal and eat shipping costs

1.2%
  3. Politely insist seller pay for shipping returns

7.5%
  4. Get over it

73.0%
  1. Allen Martin

Allen Martin Member

I think the seller should give you the finger and use the money to buy something new in a box with all the paperwork. Hahaha

2. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

OP,
    I sympathize and understand your angle on this. It is just “stuff”, but it matters enough to alter the terms of the sale. It has value. At the same time, you did receive some unintended additional merchandise which also has value. It probably was a well-intentioned oversight on the part of his wife. I’m sure to her, it probably was not something worth paying that close enough attention to. She probably saw it as ‘just a box, who cares which one I grab?’ Well, you care.

If it was me in your position, I would feel like the deal was a wash. I would keep everything I received, forget the refund, and play it. In the meantime, I would keep a lookout for another one that has all the stuff I want, but didn’t get. Once I find it, buy it, get what I want, and be happy. Then decide later if and when I would like to sell the first one.

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

I’d let it go

4. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

If it’s a matter of resale, the mounting plate is more valuable than the box and paperwork.

5. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Give him 1 star and paste a link to this thread

6. Highway Man

Highway Man Member

Advertised with box and papers and you’ve paid a price based on that. Should you ever want to sell it, you will be at a disadvantage and probably won’t be able to recoup what you paid out.

If it bothers you, push for the partial refund. It doesn’t really matter whether you like the pedal or not, you entered into a contract based on one set of conditions, you fulfilled your side, they haven’t fulfilled their side.

7. Miketheslav

Miketheslav Member

This.

Highway Man and moore_for_less like this.
  8. Rossi163

Rossi163 Supporting Member

Clearly the seller needs to divorce his wife.

9. Danny D

Danny D Member

Quit thinking that a pedal will make you a better player.

10. Miketheslav

Miketheslav Member

Haven’t really ever thought that before. I mean maybe occasionally inspired, but not better.

11. Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT Member

I totally understand where you're coming from with your original question.

And that's all it was, and yet people here are attacking you like all you care about is a cardboard box. But those same people might be upset if the pedal they bought (or a guitar or whatever) was advertised with something that was completely left out by the seller, they'd probably think that's not cool.

If I sold a pedal and advertised it came with the original box etc and then just shipped it off in whatever box, I'd not be surprised if the buyer had an issue with that. Sure I could message them back and say "it's a ****ing box dude get over it" but that's not really gonna cut it as far as reputation IMO.

So leave the guy the feedback rating that you think he deserves.

I'd still love to see the original ad you purchased from.

12. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

is there something special about the box? I wouldn't care personally as long as the pedal was in good working order. Otherwise if I wanted new in the box, I'd buy new. I am a little surprised he had his wife ship pedals without putting them in the boxes himself. My wife would insist it was ready to go with a label. I rarely keep the box, no place to put all that!

soma, Miketheslav and Gaheba like this.
  13. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

It doesnt matter what was wrong if its not as described than we destroy the integrity of the system little by little.

Not original knobs? they turn and work whats the big deal? Its been refinished? Who cares it sounds the same!

And......original packaging in the collecting world has been the clincher in getting top dollar since forever. I cant believe so many are ignorant to this fact.

14. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

These guys have been talking about this since this morning, someone explain that? I would have put about 1 minute of thought or time into this, kept the pedal & moved on - not sure why that's so difficult for a lot of people.

15. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

I get that if its really important you buy new but the thing is is that box and paperwork were said to be included. They weren't and thats an issue and should be treated as such, no matter what it is.

If we are going to continue to utilise these faceless transaction the integrity of the users needs to be high in order for people to have confidence in buying.

If you told me my suhr was coming in a suhr branded case but it came in a nonsuhr case that would be a problem no? New or used.

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  16. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

I'd expect no less than $20 off. If you sell it now you are the one who loses that money. You shouldn't have to take on the discrepancy. Call Reverb, file a dispute. They will force him to give you a partial refund, or give you a full refund. Trust me, it's not the last used wah pedal on the market. He's far better off giving you $20 back than dealing with the return, listing it again, AND correctly, and losing more on that new sale. $20 off is a good deal for him. And, if the communication you have expressed is accurate, he doesn't sound like a decent dude. So why do HIM a favor by letting him off the hook? As a seller he should be accommodating you. He sold you something inaccurate. That's 110 % on him.

ClickClack and ckfoxtrot like this.
  17. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

This is not a situation that, as a buyer, I would be thinking too much about requesting a partial refund over. Now, if it was an old DOD 250 or Ram's Head Big Muff or something, then I would want that box if I paid for it. Otherwise, I think buyer and seller have fulfilled their contract.

18. tribedescribe

tribedescribe Member

Did I miss something, are used xotic pedals now collectable if found mint in original box?

No? Then I would get over it. The seller made a mistake and cannot send the box anymore because he does not have it. I know sellers should stick to their word but in this situation some common sense needs to prevail. Expecting a $20 refund for a paper box thats basically worthless is ridiculous, especially since he sent you another thing of value accidentally. Returning it is even more ridiculous if your happy with the pedal.

19. Gaheba

Gaheba Member

I bought a Bob Seger record many years ago after listening to it in the shop.
    Got home (4 hour drive from the city back to my town), took the record out of the sleeve all excited to hear my new album - and it wasn't Bod Seger.
    It was a Marshall Tucker Band record in the Seger sleeve. I was pissed at first having never heard of MTB. Still, what the hell, I had a listen.
    Oh. Hmmm. Ok. Actually, I quite like this. So I chose to get over it and I kept it.
    Still got the MTB album still in the BS sleeve. Its all good.

Move on. Don't sweat the small stuff. This is small stuff and life is to too short. Accept a mistake was made. Have you never made a mistake?
    If you like the wah, and apparently you do, just get over it. Enjoy it. The box and paperwork is fluff.

uberdave likes this.
  20. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

:facepalm

ClickClack likes this.