So, I bought an expensive humidity controlled display case. Does it work?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by clarkram, Dec 13, 2019.

1. clarkram

clarkram Member

About 3 weeks ago I received a humidity controlled display case from www.acousticremedycases.com for my Boucher OM, sort of an early Christmas present. I selected the flamed maple walnut floor stand.

These are marketed as an attractive, albeit expensive way to store your guitar outside of its case. It’s basically a hermetically sealed environment and you just put two humidipaks in the bottom and you are set.

Winter like temps are here and I’ve had an opportunity to track the RH in the case. Prior to this I simply used the humidipak system in my guitar case for humidity control.

I have forced air gas heat. With indoor RH levels between 27%-31% the case has maintained RH levels of 45%-46%. I usually pop the case open at least once a day to play.
    So this thing does as advertised, and it’s actually easier to get to your guitar than having it in a traditional case.

An unscientific comparison to another closed environment: I keep my electrics in a 22 cubic foot gun safe, not hermetically sealed. During winter I place a large cup or mug full of water in the bottom of the safe. With room RH at 27% I was reading 37% in the safe. Not bad.

These things run about the same amount as a Hoffee or Calton case, but are not portable.

Beagle1 likes this.
  2. Beagle1

Beagle1 Member

Thanks for the write-up on the Acoustic Remedy! I have given some serious thought to getting one. Might have to pull the trigger after reading your review.

3. clarkram

clarkram Member

I was a bit paranoid about potential damage in shipment, but I have to say these people have packing to a science.
    When I opened the boxes it was like this stuff would survive a small nuclear blast. Seriously.

Beagle1 likes this.
  4. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

Those are very attractive. The price is a bit of a roadblock for me though. I was expecting something more in the $400 range, not $1,200. They are made better than the two I have, I'll give them that. Mine aren't hermetically sealed, but it doesn't seem to matter a whole lot. If I get the RH inside where I want it, it will stay there. The problem comes when I open them and then have to re-establish the RH inside that I want. Getting it higher is easier. Getting it lower is something I don't have a solid solution for just yet.

5. Colnago

Colnago Member

These
    Control the humidity both ways and are dead simple to use.

6. Parlorman

Parlorman Silver Supporting Member

You ask if it works. Probably, but to be sure get a hygrometer. Decent ones are fairly inexpensive.

I have a custom display cabinet with passive humidity control. It’s got reservoirs with foam inserts and works great.

I’ve got an hygrometer in the cabinet and one outside. The one outside is currently showing 27% relativity and the one inside is at 52%.

Here’s a photo. The hygrometer is on the right end of the neck support rack.

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  7. clarkram

clarkram Member

Nice cabinet!! My case came with a Calibre IV hygrometer installed at the base and I have others around the room/house.

Parlorman likes this.
  8. spence

spence Supporting Member

Is it returnable? How long do you have in order to tell if it works?

9. Parlorman

Thanks.

Sounds as though you’re all set. I have to dehumidify my cabinet in the summer months. Even with the central air conditioning running I’ve seen RH in the 60 to 70% range. I use desiccant packs that I got from Griots Garage.

10. clarkram

clarkram Member

That’s a lot of humidity to deal with, I’ve only approached 60% in the house a couple of times.

11. Parlorman

It doesn’t happen often, usually just two or three weeks in August but it is a PITA. Most of my guitars are lightly built vintage parlor guitars and they seem very sensitive to humidity that high.

12. Wagster

Wagster Supporting Member

Could you tell me which pair of loafers would match that cabinet? And should I sit back with a red or white wine? J/K that's a nice cabinet.

13. clarkram

clarkram Member

Good question, instead of wine I would go for a Godmother (vodka & amaretto).

Wagster likes this.
  14. Parlorman

I go for a nice single malt scotch.

The fellow who made it was, by his own admission, a better cabinetmaker than businessman and this was the last one he made before closing his shop. I feel fortunate to have it.

Wagster likes this.
  15. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Wow, Calton case prices have really increased since I was in the market. Yikes!

16. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

Yes, but they are actually useful and protect against humidity changes just as well. Of course, you can’t see your guitar, but I don’t need to unless I’m playing it.

fjblair likes this.
  17. Parlorman

I found having all my guitars shut away in cases was “out of sight out of mind” and I ended up only playing a couple of them most of the time. With them in the display cabinet they get much more play. I also disliked filing all those case humidifiers.

Beagle1 and clarkram like this.
  18. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Thank goodness for our relatively benign climate here in England! No excessive bouts of humidity or dryness to cope with.

19. markmann

markmann Member

I must say that cabinet looks beautiful. In my case I use a humidifier on my furnace during the winter and dehumidifier during wet months which keeps my place generally between 45-50%. I have three acoustics which are never in their case and I have no issues. Oldest guitar is 50 and youngest is 3.

20. clarkram

clarkram Member

Sounds like you have an effective method to deal with RH. When you can keep things at 45-50% all is good.