So I Bought An SD-1

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Electric I, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Electric I

Electric I Member

Compared it with an OD-3, a Diamond Fireburst & a Marshall Jackhammer. The Jack was the only other pedal in this mini shootout that sounded decent.

So now I'm lookin' at mods & since there 's an assload to choose from...any recommendations?

2. bostonwal

bostonwal Member

I can vouch for the Analogman Silver Mod, but I would really like to try the Monte Allums GT Mod (two additional switches get installed). Send it off to cmatmods.com and he'll install the GT mod and ship it back for $55 total.

3. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

A lot of people recommend playing with different op-amps. If you look here:
    http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mod_parts.html

...you'll see one man's description of each vs. the other. I actually bought a few and a few sockets, but haven't actually messed with them. Frankly, I bought it on a whim and didn't realize I was gonna like it stock.

If you do want to try a couple, you can get most of the current issue ones at mouser.com a lot cheaper than on eBay.

Some people talk about removing one diode so you have symmetrical clipping like a Tube Screamer. This one I did try, but I like the asymmetrical clipping better.

4. frankencat

frankencat Gold Supporting Member

The latest Keeley SD-1 mods with the stacked op-amps is a great sounding mod.

5. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Monte Allums - try the standard mod. It's a big improvement.

6. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I bought a used SD-1 with the Monte Allums GT Mod (Brown Burr opamp) allready in it. All I can tell you is, NICE!!!

7. bostonwal

bostonwal Member

I'm an Asymm fan myself.

8. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i think the Analogman mod is excellent....

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I bought an Indyguitarist modded SD-1 3 years ago. Nothing has knocked it off my board from a long line of OD's, boutique or otherwise. Mine is the Blues mod which puts it as a cross between a SD-1 and a Blues driver. I'm not sure what is involved in the mod as far as chips and diodes but it sounds incredible into my JCM 800. YMMV

10. Electric I

Electric I Member

Been looking at the allums mods & the ability to swap op amps seems like a great way to get the best out of this pedal. Leaning toward the gt mod at this point, but got some reading to do on the keeley/analogman mods as well.

Thanks a ton for the input so far.