So... I broomed my Mark I today...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by defaultoprime, Jan 5, 2008.

1. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

I didn't feel like going through the hassle of packing it up and sending it somewhere, so I put it up on consignment at a local place ...figured I'd take the proceeds and put them toward something shiny and new

as a byproduct of this, I dusted off my not recently used Mesa Studio .22+ and fired it up... got back in touch with it... and I gotta say, except for the volume on tap with the Mark, the little .22+ just plain destroys the Mark I... clean and crunch... it's all there... what a great all around amp... almost sold it off when I bought the Mark I... I'm so glad I didn't...

If only it had four EL-84s instead of two...

2. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

...maybe it's time to buy a Budda Superdrive

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

You really need it to be louder? It has to be one of the loudest 22 watt amps ever made. I had one at the same time as a Mark III red stripe Simul Class. I really liked it but found it impossible to get a good clean and lead sound without having to retweak the controls. I tried lots of tube combinations but nothing ever worked. The clean is amazing for an amp of this size and wattage and I am sure I could have just used the clean channel and some pedals to get some great sounds but I paid for a two channel amp and that is what I wanted. The lead channel definitely has the Mark series sound, even though it uses EL84s. I still preferred the sound of my Mark III but the Studio has a ton going for it. After trying several speakers I even felt that the original Eminence was a great match for it. It has simple controls, great sounds, lots of features and is light and small. It has to be one of the very best of the "grab and go" amps.

4. anibas

anibas Member

...or a 1st series Mesa 50 Caliber-same amp as the 22,but with 4XEL84 power!Seriously,you'd probably love a Budda SD18 or 30-they're both killer amps.

5. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

Yea... I'd like it a bit louder... believe it or not, it has a little trouble keeping up with my whacko drummer... yea, I know, I could just mic it... but really, the thing is 20+ years old now and I need something as a backup... or perhaps it's the backup...

I'm thinking that a Superdrive 30 head would be to my liking... I really like the fact that it's tube rectified...

6. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

right you are... it is a bit of a balancing act...

7. bosstone

bosstone Member

Or you could tell your drummer to get real and save yourself some bucks. Loud drummers can destroy the sound of a good band and cause trouble at every gig you play.