So I built an ABY box -

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eric-d, Aug 30, 2008.

1. eric-d

eric-d Member

And I don't know why I didn't build one earlier. This little thing is great. Luckily - I'm not getting any severe ground loop hum. I did this one as a passive box because of the size of the enclosure. I did the red LED for the "Both On" indicator. I color coded the individual LED's with the Jewel Lights on my amps. I used a purple LED to match the purple jewel light on my Super Reverb and an orange LED to match the pilot light on my JTM45. When both amps are "On" - it will still indicate which amp is "on" when taken of the "Y" function. Very handy. I'll add some decals for lettering and whatnot later.

here's the pic of it - left pic is just the Super Reverb and the pic on the right shows the pedal in the "Y" mode with the JTM45 as being the amp it will go to if taken out of the "Y" function.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  2. jumpchamp

jumpchamp Member

now that is slick right there!

have a particular schematic you used?

3. eric-d

eric-d Member

I can't remember where I got it from.... I did a diagram in photoshop. It shows 4K7 Resistors on all LED's - but I had to change the values for the Orange and Red - the Purple (Ultra Violet) isn't as bright. If you build one - try different Resistors to balance the LED's (depending on the colors you would use).

[​IMG]

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

nice! it looks like you did it so that the unused amp gets its input shorted to ground to kill noise, is that right?

have you had to mess with lifting the ground of one amp, or making a ground-interrupt signal cable for one amp, to avoid ground loops?

as far as different resistors for the LEDs, i usually just wire up a pot between the LED and the power source, dial it in to get a good brightness, then disconnect and measure the pot setting to get the right value resistor.

5. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

Looks even better on the inside, the wiring is fantastic. Nice job!:AOK

6. eric-d

eric-d Member

The pot is a good idea for resistor value.... Yeah - they short out to ground. I haven't messed with ground lifting or using individual transformers to isolate the outputs...