So, I Buy A Strat From A Forum Member....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by EataPeach, May 19, 2015.

1. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

And when it arrives the squier guitar box it's been shipped in is severely creased at the neck area.
    I'm thinking.." That's a bad sign"

Sure enough it was....
    Additionally- the guitar was shipped in a gig bag with a smattering of foam peanuts on top of the gig bag. So gig bag, a bit of peanuts and the box.....That's it.

Now I take the guitar out and there's a 1/8"+ gap on the bottom of the neck pocket, and the top bolts that hold the neck in are pulled away from the plate.
    I tried to screw them, but it didn't work.
    The neck moves up/ down and side to side.

I don't want to repair a guitar I just bought. So I msg the seller asking for a refund plus shipping.
    He said " No" to the shipping and
    He told me he'll pay me the purchase amount when he gets the guitar.
    I call BS on this.
    For one the packing job was sub par to say the very least. IMO, The/a seller should take responsibility for this. It was insured. So do the right thing and settle it.
    I think I should be refunded ( plus shipping)before shipping back.
    Just wondering g what others think that may have been through this

✌️

2. Valus

Valus Member

File a claim through PP immediately. I hope you didn't use Gift!!!!

3. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Take massive pix and document.. sorry to hear of your mis-fortune

4. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

I didn't use gift. Never do.

And I didn't take pics before I opened it. I should have.
    Took some of the neck plate etc... But it's hard to tell what's wrong. I'll try to get better lics tonight.
    I don't want to file a claim yet. I want to give the seller a bit more time to do the right thing.
    Am I out of line for expecting him to pay shipping back. Or refund me first?I don't think it's unreasonable. Sometimes that's the cost of doing business. Isn't it? I explained I don't have the money to ship unless I get a refund.

5. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Paypal will refund your money, but you may lose out on shipping. I think you have to return ship and get delivery confirmation first. Some people have no clue how to pack things.

6. Valus

Valus Member

You gave him a chance, and he didn't take it. I'd file the claim.

whitehall and Jaan like this.
  7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Let Paypal deal with it. IMHO, you shouldn't be out shipping. In reality, you probably will be.

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I wouldn't expect to be reimbursed before shipping it back. Open a Paypal claim though, just in case.

After the 5th story like this, just this year, I don't understand why buyers don't communicate with sellers about packing. No, you shouldn't HAVE to...but is 5 minutes too much time to avoid a disaster like this?

9. guitarno

guitarno Supporting Member

The seller obviously did a poor job of packaging and should take the blame for this, but the shipping company might also be liable and maybe a damage report should be filed against the insurance. You should get your money back if it was damaged due to poor packing or shipping damage.

From a sellers point of view though, if you were the seller, would you refund the money before you got the guitar back? The buyer would then have the money and the instrument - not a good position for the seller is it? If the buyer was dishonest he could simply keep both. This is where selling to an individual over the internet with no independent agent in between gets risky.

10. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

The shipping company is not going to pay a claim. They'll say it was improperly packed (hey, they're actually right this time) and deny it. The OP gave the seller a chance to make it right and he dicked around, so I'd file a claim with PayPal, do what they say, get my money back and let them deal with him.

Jaan likes this.
  11. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

If you file a PayPal claim, the buyer can issue a refund that will be held in a pending state until the guitar is received by the seller. At least that's how it worked for me when I did it.

12. Jaan

Jaan Member

^^^^
    This.

13. briggleman

briggleman Supporting Member

When I receive a package and I notice damage........THE FIRST THING I DO IS TAKE PICTURES and if the delivery person is still there, have them witness the un-packing. I have seen very well packed instruments still completely destroyed due to shipping.

I am with the original seller on this one. You as the buyer have all of the protection through PP. He is willing to refund your money in full which included the shipping to you as soon as he receives it back.

Second, he is going to have a tough time with shipping insurance since you did not document the damage due to shipping! This puts a huge burden of proof on him, and he has no documentation that it arrived that way.

Its the cost of doing business on a forum......FOR BOTH OF YOU.

Third, Immediately file the claim with PP. They will still give you time to work it out with the seller and will arbitrate if needed.

I do my best to work with buyers and sellers, and I compromise.... and so far, with over 150 transactions both buying and selling on this forum and ebay.... I have only felt taken advantage of once (eBay, and I should have involved eBay but tried to work it out myself, live and learn).

Jumping off soapbox now
    Brad

Last likes this.
  14. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Thinking he is going to refund you prior to you shipping the item back is pretty unreasonable.

He is not responsible for the fact that you dont have the money to ship it back (your words).

But he should refund you when he gets it back.

15. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

That's the cost of stupidity. I'd get with PayPal

16. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

Sadly,it seems you're right. Lesson learned there.

The same could be true when the seller has the money and guitar too..
    I have refunded before the other person sent an item back,and it wasn't even my fault( packing etc)

I wish I had done all of that

I never said he was responsible for my lack of $.... I said I can't ship because I don't have the money.
    I spent it on a badly packed guitar

I guess I will pursue the PP route

17. newking70

newking70 Member

leave appropriate feedback here too.

18. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

This makes sense.
    I don't think I've seen ANY negative or neutral TGP feedback. Without it the all positive feedback seems a little questionable. Just today I've already read about a couple of TGP deals that involved sub par packing. And leaving no feedback makes it like the whole episode never took place.

19. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

PP will not refund you before you return the guitar, so if that is your thinking, you need to change that thinking right quick. They will require proof of receipt by the seller before they will do anything.

I find it very hard to believe you have the money to buy a guitar but not the $30 to ship it back.

20. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

I understand, and totally agree with what you're saying.
    I just hesitate to out a person without trying to reason first. To me, at first all this seemed cut and dry. I have done it for people.

Oh, I forgot to mention..he said he wasn't going to pay shipping in any way. I told him I would ship it to him,To get this over with. Though I don't feel it's my responsibility.
    It was then he said he'd refund when received.
    I don't agree with that at all.

As if I need to justify my finances to you ..
    But since you kindly brought it up.

A)I said a " strat". Doesn't mean it was an expensive one. Wasn't a Squier though.

B) I sold an acoustic guitar to get an electric set up. GAS hit, and I set myself within the limit of what I sold it for. I had to, so it wasn't a choice

C) why should I be responsible for shipping back a guitar that got F'd up because A seller Was too lazy, or stupid to pack it well???

D) I didn't ask PP to refund me, I ask the seller....

He wrote me that in 100's of transactions he's never had anything happen. That's awesome.
    Well, with a job done that way it was bound to happen.
    Let's say it was laziness-- man up, take some responsibility for it.

Stupidity? I don't think it was that. Just covering all of the bases, because it seems it's a common occurance lately.
    --Learn the lesson. Make it right.

I guess ideas of right and wrong are different at times.
    Maybe I have some lessons to learn. Principles differ.

Good enough for you?

Last edited: May 19, 2015