So, I came across a beautiful sounding Superlead from '73 today... Ned advice.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael.e, Sep 17, 2009.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I am way beyond stoked with how the entire amp interacts with my guitar. Utterly drop dead gorgeous tones. I LOVE that I can dial in just the right amount of juice and sting..

It used to have an effects loop on it and the holes were covered. The headbox is in fantastic shape

What would you pay for an amp like that?

Thanks for the advice

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

I think I paid $400 for mine in 1973:

[​IMG]

3. StevenS

StevenS Supporting Member

Chuckle........ shows how much times have changed.

I paid around $2000 Canadian for my 71 50 watt JMP a year or two ago. It had a power transformer replaced with a Partridge from an old Hiwatt.

Sounds great!

If you're looking for a deal it's probably not going to help if this one you're looking at speaks to you. :D

4. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I paid $300 for mine in 1983. Sounds incredible, but I won't be selling it anytime soon.

5. michael.e

RAD pic Pete!

Ya, this is the first year of the PCB. I hear absolutely NO sonic difference twixt the early PTP units and this one. SOOOOO incredible. It operated like a new amp! Very useful tone controls.

I was thinking Doyle Bramhall as I picked up a Strat and plugged in to a Marshall 4-12 with Greenies..

I am trying to finagle a way to pick it up, I am shy right now of the $1,799 tag.. [less tax].

6. Trout

Trout Member

Got my 73 SL100 about 2 years ago for $250.00 complete with the wrong output tubes in it. This one was a PTP amp.
    Same day I also bought a partially assembled SL100 with the Metro PTP conversion with genuine mustard caps and Mercury Tone Clones. I sold the conversion.

best $500.00 I ever spent!

These amps had weird Mojo though, the guy that owned them mysteriously disappeared, his business got torched, and his wife sold everything at an estate sale only a few weeks after he disappeared.

7. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

My '73 is PTP and sounds amazing. I got it about 5 years ago for $800 (had MV in- then un-installed). Prolly worth about double that these days?
    [​IMG]

8. michael.e

I remember that Estate Sale!!! He was a pretty good local guitar guy, yes?

I wonder if they are living well and happy in Honduras..

9. hasserl

hasserl Member

I just ran across an SL100 in a pawn shop in rural TX in the Houston area, they were asking 750 for it. It looked like it had a MV installed in one of the four input holes. I didn't check it out any closer, didn't plug into it. I'm on the road and really don't know what I would have done with it if I would have bought it,

10. Trout

Trout Member

Yep, he was a popular local guitarist, known by many as Chicago Johnny(John Spira). He was disappeared on Feb 27 2007.
    Very sad ordeal actually. There were a lot of theories as to what actually happened, though most feel it was mob related.
    Others think it was a in process divorce situation since he was last seen at a meeting with the divorce lawyers.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2008/feb/24/news/chi-spirafeb24

http://www.johnspira.com/

The guy had a ton of excellent gear, including a Marshall full stack Hendrix edition, a BFDR, a DRZ and several SL100 project amps and parts.
    Last I heard after the wife sold off the estate she moved back east to be near her family.

Honestly, sometimes it sort of creeps me out having this amp.

11. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

1500-2000 depending on condition and year- right or wrong, folks pay a little more for a tag board over the PCB.

I like my 73 SL a lot, but use my SB as my main head.

12. michael.e

So Jack, you know what the SL sounds like then with it's beautiful cleans that can be dialed in to destroy small varmints at 10 paces.

Does a Super Bass do the same thing, or is it even thicker and punchier in the cleans?

13. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I just got a 71 SL put together I bought on eBay that I got with a bad PT. I was lucky enough to find a 70 PT, and had Dave Friedman (who had the PT) put it back together. It is literally...just amazing. I can't even tell you how much I have into it, I'd be flogged.

14. StevenEsqTwo

StevenEsqTwo Member

Jim: I'm sure I have you beat. I found an October 72 50 watter "lead stickered" bass amp (1986) at a shop in Denver. It has the famed yellow "chicklet" caps and was in almost perfect condition. I had to have it. It is the most badass sounding Marshall ever. Paid top top dollar but I don't regret it.

15. soldano16

soldano16 Member

For retail the price seems like a reasonable asking. I play a Super Lead. Nothing touches the 100watters.

16. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I'd love to hear it! So bring it with you to the LA AMP Show...I'll have cabs and guitars ready. :D

17. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

Great pic! :)