So I checked out Mastodon...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Killcrop, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

A bunch of people where saying (in a thread here) that Crack The Skye was the album of the year ITO. So I thought it might be worth checking out. Well I haven't purchased such an unremarkable album in a long time. The vocals are buried in the mix, there are no guitar riffs to speak of, no hooks or memorable melodys. Medium tempo droning crap. It is completly boring in every way. Listened to it twice and I just don't get it. Waste of $12. Pisses me off, I could have picked up a fresh copy of Mob Rules.

What the hell am I missing? (Besides Youtubing first)

2. reno88

reno88 Member

i'm with you. i've tried to like them several times. i don't get them or the allure. i find them as compelling as coldplay, john mayer, my chemical pantload, etc. different strokes...

3. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

Hey, I love it, you don't. What's to get?

4. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

+1.

Glad to see I'm also not alone.

5. suhrbrutal

suhrbrutal Senior Member

I MUCH prefer the older stuff. Leviathan is a masterpiece. I like Blood Mountain as well. Crack the Skye is just too psychedilc for me, and slow moving compared to older stuff. I saw them on the Dethklok tour. They were good, just the new stuff was, well, boring. Dethklok was amazing. I was pretty disappointed with Mastodon. Not the album of the year. That would have been Planetary Duality by THE FACELESS. Not as bad as Coldplay, or (sic) John Mayer, but not my favorite stuff by them.

6. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Leviathan is one of my favorite albums as well.

I love Crack the Skye. Sorry you guys didn't dig it. It took me a few listens to really understand/get what was going on and now I listen to it almost every day.

Interestingly, I had the same thing happen with Planetary Duality. I got it off itunes after hearing so much about it and digging their last album....it was okay, but not as good as it was talked up to be. I guess the hype can sometimes make you expect too much...and no, I am not just saying that to argue. It is just a strange coincidence that that album was mentioned and I had the same thing happen with it that the OP had with CTS.

7. toby

toby Supporting Member

my background is mostly stoner/thrash-type stuff and prog. mastodon really spoke to me when i discovered them, i feel like they grow with every album. its fun to watch a band come closer and closer to melding my two favorite genres of rock.

8. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

No riffs to speak of? Just wow. I'm never one to question taste, but in this instance I question the ability to hear. That record is packed with awesome riffs. But it's all good. If you don't like it you don't like it and that's fine.

9. giannifive

giannifive Member

There's no justifying taste. I think it's a brilliant album, but that doesn't mean everyone else should think the same.

Check out Leviathan and see what you think. It has a different vibe. Less proggy. Try pandora.com if you want to listen to lots of music without plunking down cash for albums.

10. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Crack The Skye took quite a few listens before I got it. Give it some time. There's alot to digest.

11. Kaji13

Kaji13 Member

It's not really an album you'll pick up and instantly think "WOW!"...it's a very challenging album. Definately takes a few listens to fully appreciate. Then again, I get how you might not like it, the album doesn't exactly have universal appeal.

One question..do you like Pink Floyd? Not just their Wall/DSOTM stuff, but also their more psychedelic stuff.

12. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

That's a great way to put it. I've been a huge fan so I instantly loved it.

13. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I think Mastadon is a great band who is able to bring some elements of 70's rock, metal, and grunge into their own modern thing. Many hooks and a ton of powerful riffs....

They may not click with everyone, but when I read that a poster finds them no more compelling than Coldplay I had to chuckle...

14. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

Weren't they just touring with Dethklok? I wanted to catch it but I git busy and missed the show in Portland.

15. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

I saw them several years ago at Ozzfest. They were O.K., but nothing special. Just more of the same metal that is all over these days.

16. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I am not here to defend Mastodon, but using your recall from a live performance almost five years ago at Ozzfest is not exactly pertinent to their recent work.....

17. jazzandmetal?

They are nothing like the "same metal" that is all over the place these days.

18. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

While I don't hate the album, because it does indeed have a certain ENERGY about it, two things make me not listen to it very much.

1. The vocals are too Ozzy-ish for me, I find them very distracting.
    2. The mix is so over-compressed, busy and thick that it hurts my ears after awhile.

Again, it's not a bad album, but it was wildy over-praised. Mastodon will not save metal/hard-rock with albums like this.

19. jazzandmetal?

Metal doesn't need any saving. It is thriving right now.

Hard rock on the other hand......

20. hellbender

hellbender Member

I think just listening to Crack the Sky ( wasn't that a 70's band?) is like walking in on the middle of a movie. Check the earlier stuff then report back.