So, I completely redid my '91 Les Paul Standard....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MikeB_18, Feb 14, 2008.

1. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

This was something that I wanted to do for at least a year to my first "good" guitar. It was in need of some new parts as the tuning machines had worn out and a spring was missing from the old bridge. While replacing those parts I decided to just go all out and redo the entire guitar, mostly to try out parts and pieces that I've read so much about but never had any experience with first hand.

After quite a while, mostly waiting for parts, I finally finished the "Historic" makeover of my '91 Les Paul Standard. I was originally going to go with zebra coil pickups but I was inspired by a black top R6 that PrivateReserveGuitars.com used to have, so I went double creme. The changes are;

- Tonepros Kluson Tuners
    - Historic Truss Rod Cover
    - Historic Pickup Rings
    - Historic P-90 Pickgaurd, cut to fit
    - Double Creme Seymour Duncan '59 Neck/JB Bridge
    - RS Guitarworks Vintage Style Pots/Caps
    - Top Hat Style Knobs
    - Tonepros ABR-1 Style Bridge
    - Brown's Guitar Nashville to ABR-1 Conversion Posts
    - Graph Tech Saddles
    - Tonepros Lightweight Aluminium Tailpiece

Before
    [​IMG]
    During
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

Daylight was fading fast so the last pic isn't that great. Hopefully if we get some sun this weekend I can get some good pics with proper lighting.

The tone has changed quite a bit and I'm not sure if it's the pickups or the wiring kit but the sound is much more open than it used to be. I also like how I can tune in the middle position a lot more than before. In fact I almost never used the middle position before because it didn't sound that much different than just the neck pickup alone. Now I can roll off the neck to about 8 and leave the bridge at 10 and it gives me that nice bridge bite with the fatness of the bridge to thicken up the tone. That I would have to contribute to the new pots, which have a fantastic taper.

So, what do you guys think?

2. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

3. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Vetty nice:BEER!!!!

4. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Sweet! Tell me about those pots and caps please.

5. buckwild

buckwild Silver Supporting Member

sweet!!! Nice job dude.

6. Lampasas

Lampasas Member

Funny-- I've got a '92 Standard, MY first "good" guitar, that I've been slowly making over in a similar fashion. I'm stealing some of your ideas, particularly the Nashville to ABR conversion posts, which I wasn't aware existed. Thanks!

7. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

Well done man! Just thinking- how would some amber reflector knobs look on that.. mmmmmm..

8. LP Deluxe

LP Deluxe Supporting Member

You're giving me ideas for my '94 standard. Thanks for the post.

Dave

9. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Double Creams looks HOT.

Black guitars can slightly boring. I think the double creams really punches it up, looks GREAT!

10. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

love the look--bet she sounds cool too

11. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

where the heck did you get double creme duncans? dimarzio has that color patented. good pickup choices. I have a guitar I built that have the exact some pup combination. they sound great.

12. ultra

ultra Member

You don't have to use the conversion posts. You can buy an ABR-1 bridge which is wireless that goes straight on the Nashville posts. You can get it from

www.cvguitars.com

and the product is made in Germany by Faber. It looks great and I believe it works great too. It is a pity that I didn't know about Faber until after I had done the conversion post thing :-(

13. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

Bravo! I love the combination of creme pickups/rings on black, and against the creme pickguard it looks even better. For me, with very rare exceptions, creme pickups always look better than black.

14. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

FINE-looking git-tar---And ya gotta love what the RS kit does for the tone. I put one in my LP Standard, and I leave the switch in the middle now, mostly. Just mix the pups with the volumes.
    WALK WITH PRIDE, MAN!

15. JimH

JimH Member

So how's the sound?

16. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

Thanks for all the kind replies. :BEER

You can order them from the Duncan Custom Shop but you have to get them with covers on them. SD, says they're "lgihtly soldered" but the covers are just slipped over the coils so all you have to do is slide them off when you get them. No desoldering required.

It kicks ass! :D This has always been my rocking out guitar as it's the only guitar that I own with hot pickups, well, I guess my Custom 22 has pretty hot pickups but it doesn't do it for me like a Les Paul.

The neck pickup in the guitar has always sounded great both clean and dirty and after the rebuild it still sounds fantastic. I don't think it's quite as thick but maybe a little more well balanced than before.

The bridge pickup is where the major difference is. Since the JB is so hot, it never really sounded clean when it was clean but sounded fantastic through my Mesa F-50 with moderate to high gain settings. Now when played clean it has a really nice pop to it, something that I wasn't expecting at all.

Like I said above, dialing in the volume and tone has never been easier and blending the pickups works really well and it was something that I couldn't really do before. I'm not sure the kit is worth $70 as you could probably hunt down the parts for a fraction of that price. I guess you're paying for the convienence of having everything come from RS and be perfectly matched. If you don't mind spending the money, I'd highly recommend them as their products and service are top notch.