So I decided to go with an AC15H1TV combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 12guitdown, Jun 11, 2008.

1. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Origianlly I was going to buy the head, but when I saw, on eBay, a three month old, floor model, mint cond. with the full warranty for the same price as the head($995.00), I had to pounce. Maybe some of you were keen on that auction. Yeah, I bought it!:banana
    Anyway. Rumor has it that all the tubes need to be replaced up front. Not a problem as I'm anticipating this already. I've heard JJ's are the preferred choice for EL84's, but what about the rest? I've retubed 3 amps in the past with JJ's and always loved the results. Especially their 12AX7's in my Star Nova. No other preamp tube does that amp justice. So at this juncture I'm gonna start with a full set of JJ's then go from there if needed.
    No, I'm not interested in throwing big money at the NOS stuff either. Just looking for practicality with good tone results. I would like to hear, from those that have this amp, or those that know, recommendations about the EF86 preamp and the EZ81 rectifier as I'm not familiar with these tubes. I did do a search but came up with little in this regard.

I don't know of this helps but the application is for modern Christian worship, Tomlin, Hillsong, Hall etc..medium stage volumes with the amp set slightly dirty when digging in and of course I drive it with an assortment of ODs when needed. guitars are Tele and 335.

2. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Thanks Adam. I'm gonna move the thread over there.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I retubed a vintage AC30 with all Tungsol 12AX7s and it sounds stellar.

4. Johnkenn

Johnkenn Member

I just got a the AC15H1TV Limited Edition - with the mahogany cabinet - for $1200...MAJOR LUCK. They are going for $1999 new. Really, it's the first killer deal I've gotten on the bay. I'm supposed to get it in the morning...hopefully I didn't get rooked...

5. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Bring the report. Bring the report.

6. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member