So, I didn't like the Timmy.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by twoheadedboy, Jan 19, 2006.

1. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I had a Timmy here for a few days last week. I really didn't enjoy it at all. I tried it with a few amps, all custom. One was a 50 watt plexi style, one was a fender deluxe, and one was a 20 watt hotrodded vox style. I love the sound of each of these amps on their own, and I was hoping to stick the Timmy in the chain for a little volume/gain boost for low gain overdrive sounds. I was setting the amps for an "on the fence" tone between clean and breaking up, and then using the Timmy to push them into a low-med gain crunch. I tried the following guitars: Reverend Slingshot Custom with SD P-90s, Gibson Les Paul Junior, a friend's Fender MIA Tele, and a friend's LP style guitar with PAF style humbuckers. With each guitar, and each amp, the timmy sounded thin and fizzy, with a harsh edge to every note. I will admit that I like pretty smooth guitar sounds, but this was more abrasive than I would expect anyone to deal with (at all but the muddiest settings). I play a lot of different styles, but the sounds I was going for here were just your basic slightly crunchy rock rhythm sounds (think Tom Petty, Stones, early Zeppelin).

Before you ask, I AM aware that the tone controls work backwards and I did try different combinations of settings with the DIP switches. It's quite possible that the Timmy just isn't my thing, but with all this raving about it, I thought it was necessary to post my experience. I mean no disrespect to Paul Cochrane or anybody who loves the Timmy. I just wanted people to know that for me, using the guitars and amps available to me, the Timmy didn't do anything that I enjoyed at all.

-mark

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

try these settings for what you're trying to do.

Gain: 7-9 o clock
    Volume: 3 o clock
    Bass: 2-3 o clock
    Treble: 11-1 o clock

This setting works for me time and time again doing exactly what you are trying to get it to do.

let me know how it turns out, jon

3. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I spent a day with it trying every possible setting I could think of, even the ones that didn't seem logical. No dice - It's already been sold and shipped away.

4. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

thats too bad, it must just not be for you. that's bound to happen.

anyways, i just ordered a tim! i can't wait ti have both on my board.

5. devbro

devbro Member

6. asdf

asdf Member

Hmm.. well I guess if it was for absolutely everybody then they would be in even higher demmand...more for me :)

7. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I was talking to a buddy about this today, once you're in the "BooTeek world", most all of it is quality stuff, but some folks like spicy, some like sweet. It's all good! :dude

8. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Hi twoheadedboy I think your post raises a couple of points.

Firstly I think its great that you posted your review to lend a bit of balance to the "TIMs/Timmys for all" cry that a few of us including myself tend to get a bit carried away with from time to time!

Secondly, even though I'm a huge Timmy lover I actually can hear a certain graininess or rawness with it. I personally wouldn't go as far as calling it 'abrasive' but I think I can hear what you're hearing. After having owned far lusher/thicker sounding pedals such as FD2s, AC Boosters etc. I initially found my Timmy a hard sound myself. Then, somehow my ears re-calibrated to where I could never go back. Personally I'd have to live with something as part of my rig for more than a couple of days to be sure though.

Lastly, I also think just like amps, pedals also tend to respond very much to each players individual pick attack. What sounds crisp and defined with one player has a lot of ugly transients with another and conversley, a pedal that sounds rich and sweet with one guy's attack sounds just plain dull used by someone else.

The quest for more 'ampness' continues for you then & good luck with it.

9. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

+1, I think it's actually better that all of us don't like the same stuff, makes things more interesting.

10. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Thanks guys. I'm glad you could recognize that I'm not about tearing down certain pieces of gear. It's important to recognize that no piece of gear is perfect. In order to make a piece of gear amazing at one thing, you almost always have to sacrifice in some other areas. Sometimes when people review something, they make it seem that it can do absolutely no wrong.

Realfi, you raised some really interesting points here, especially about the picking attack/playing style. I've spent countless hours with the guy who builds my amps, just sitting around and tweaking things together. We both play blues/rock in a similar style, but man, do we ever get different sounds with our hands. We sound different to the point that if one of us tweaks an amp to get a good sound and then passes the guitar to the other one, it almost always sounds terrible until the other one tweaks the amp to suit his playing.

Different dang strokes ;)

11. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Yeah amazing isn't it-I had the exact same experience with a friend of mine.

12. loudboy

loudboy Member

Burn the heretic!

13. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Exactly! As artists (like the other artists who make music, paintings, whatever) I believe it's not even the boutique pedal makers objective to build a pedal that everyone will love. It's not possible and usually the ones that offer "something for everyone" are the really boring ones.

14. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for posting. You have given me the courage to stand up and say this:

"My name is Greg, and I didn't like the zendrive"

:eek:

Lucidology likes this.
  15. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

16. Franklin

Franklin Member

Don't like it! No wonder you have two heads!

Monster! ;)

17. Unburst

Unburst Member

I didn't care for the Tim myself.

18. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Everyone is different and that is a good thing. A lot of people like the real smooth sounding pedals, but I enjoy the open sound that the Timmy has. There is just something about that Grain-y sound that I love. I prefer a Landau tone over a Carlton. Everyone is different and there isn't anything wrong with that.
    I love my Timmy so much! I have an Mi Audio Crunch Box on the way, can't wait to hear that thing.

19. johndara

johndara Member

This goes back to what I was saying on another thread...people were raving about the Zendrive and saying how it was blowing the Howie out of the water. To be honest, I prefer the Howie over the Zendrive, just seems "cleaner", more dumble like than the Zen. Don't get me wrong, I think the Zendrive is an excellent pedal and I do own both the Howie and the Zen, but to say the Zendrive is so much better.....just like twoheadedboy says, when people review a pedal they make it seem like it can do absolutely no wrong, which is another reason I don't puchase a pedal just on users reviews, some people just gloat over their pedals without giving any honest flaws they may have.

20. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Try a Tim. Pedals to me = color. Ive never found a pedal in 25 years playing electric that could = a clasic amp. I think some people go into pedals thinking their going to make a ac30, plexi, tweed sound better.They dont. They all add color, some in a good way, like the Tim pedal. I only use three or four pedals for color, my main sound is the amp . teleblaster :RoCkIn