So I finally finished my project relic strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BDUNN, May 20, 2006.

1. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

Let me know what you guys think. I had a lot of help from TGP members with finishes etc.. remeber it is my first build so I know that there is room for improvement, but hopefully there will be more to come!

neck - musikraft
    body - allparts
    pickups - lollar specials (by the way, awesome!!!!)
    finish - guitar reranch
    other stuff - shoe polish, 3m pads, lots of sand paper, and burned fingers (I am pretty new to soldering).

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/jbyrondunn/?action=view&current=IMG_0491.jpg
    http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/jbyrondunn/?action=view&current=IMG_0492.jpg
    http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/jbyrondunn/?action=view&current=IMG_0498.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!:D

2. HHB

HHB Member

cool, how do you like the Musickraft neck?

3. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

I was a little disappointed to be honest... If I had it to do over I would definetly go with a warmoth. Dont get me wrong it is a nice neck.. the rosewood fretboard is actually thicker on one side (closer to the high e than on the other side (low e). Just by a little bit but oh well.

4. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

The photos are a little dark, but from what I can it looks cool. Nice job.

5. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

Hey BDUNN---you did that all yerself? 1st timer?---COOL!

hey, you might like to take a look at a project strat that Dave Stewart from California reliced all the parts for me---there's a LOT of pics and info---I don't know if it will help w/ your next project, but it's a great relic job, IMO---although, EXTREME!!:D

Enjoy---and have fun w/ yer strat!

http://community.webshots.com/album/85676156NNEhAv

PS---thanks for the tip on the neck---my strat above is an AllParts (Lic. by Fender) neck, and it is great---but I may go with a Warmoth or USACG neck for a Tele I'm just starting to 'realize'---

ac

6. m4tt

m4tt Member

How did you age the pickguard? What colour was it to begin with? white?

7. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Looks nice! I have one in progress myself...actually a buddy is doing the painting (IBM). I think I'll start with a closet classic...cracked/checked finish, and play it for a while. My initiral intention was to do a mild relic, but I'm getting cold feet...I guess it will depend on how nice teh finish turns out. :)
    Greg

8. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

Thanks for all of the feedback

frankzappa - cool guitar! Thanks for the tips .. I like the way the wood is exposed on the body of it.

m4tt - pickguard aging - took a mint green fender 62' pickgaurd.
    -roughed it up with a 3M kitchen pad (those green ones)
    -sprayed an even coat of reranch fender nect amber over it.
    -went back with the 3M pad to strategically expose the original mint green color
    -added some extra dark areas (around the nobs) with brown shoe polish

gkelm - I agree.. I would start off with a mild relic... after all it is a lot easier to relic more than to reverse the aging process!

Now off to find a DC-30 to blast it through!!!!

9. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i have a USACG/mark jenny 3 tone target burst S body waiting on a neck...one of the most realistic relic finishes ive ever seen....very convincing, and should make a helluva strat! wish i had some pics to show you guys....

10. HHB

HHB Member

I had my partsocaster completed but my Allparts SMO-fat is backbowed and has to go back, losing my frickin decals and finish time and they're out of stock for 5 weeks, I loved the Allparts profile but may be going to Warmoth or USA like, today! LOL

11. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I think it's a great looking strat. Now, how much did it all cost. . .Neck, Pickguard, Body, paint, and Lollars?

12. Doodad

Doodad Member

Good job. You nailed the headstock color, it looks just like my 73 tele deluxe. Not sure I am in love with the pickguard, but you get an A for effort and results.

13. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

I guess I have a little over 1000 in the guitar (probably 1200 after to you add in bone nut and set up)... I dont think that I have the stomach to add it all up (tools plus actual parts). but I guess the good news is I could probably make my next one much cheaper... I hope.

14. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

Oh and by the way the lollars are worth every penny... my new favorite pickup!!!