So I finally got to try the SH/SE CAA OD 100, surprised by the outcome ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MikeyG, Feb 20, 2006.

1. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I owned a CAA OD100 stock model for a while.

In comparison, I liked the SE OD channel a bit better ... a little more liquidy, more gain (much more than I'd need ... I had enough gain at 3-4 on the dial). It also seemed to need less volume to smooth out than the stock model.

But the SH clean mod??? I don't get it?? All the sparkle and chime of the stock model is gone??? It was downright dull ....

How is the SH mod supposed to change the clean tones?

2. bailnout

bailnout Member

Don't know. I don't have an SE, but mine has the SH mod on the clean channel. It's outstanding! Maybe you should just get the SH mod on your amp and be done with it.

3. Randy

Randy Member

Does the SE mod make the gain channel smoother? I've only played the stock one but found it had a harshness in the upper mids that I couldn't dial out...

4. bailnout

bailnout Member

Just a thought but John Suhr has mentioned on this board on numerous occasions that he can make the amp sound however you want. Maybe you should try to contact him with your concern. I don't think the SE mod is supposed to effect the clean channel. Do you have other mods on the back of this one that you didn't have on the original? Maybe you need to tweak the adjustments that are on the inside of the amp to get the clean to sound like you remember with the other one.

Just brain storming. Hope it helps.

5. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

I visited with John once in his Lake Elsinore, CA shop, to figure out the SE and SH mods....in spending about 1.5 hours with him playing the amp and talking I learned that the SE mod does not affect the clean channel at all..and that the SH mod was really designed to compensate for the fact that Scott Henderson uses alot of pedals...the SH mod helps brighten up the sound given all those pedals...for one not using so many pedals, the stock clean channel may sound much more appealing. I actually liked the Reb Beach mod more than the SH mod.

The SE mod, when boosted, has more gain and is smoother, while the non boosted SE gain channel actually has less gain than the non boosted stock gain channel.

This visit was last year prior to the more recent additions such as the 50 watter, the marshall transformers, the feedback switch etc...so I can't comment on those.

Apparently SH does not even use the clean channel any longer..instead just rolling back the volume on the gain channel to clean it up.

6. bailnout

bailnout Member

Well, I've never heard a stock OD-100 so I can't compare my clean to that. I'm not big into Scott Henderson either. All I know is my clean channel has the best clean tone I've ever personally owned. Both channels take pedals extremely well too.

I never heard of a Reb Beach mod. Is that on the clean channel? Sounds interesting. I'm really thinking I might like that SE mod on ch.2. Every post I've read makes it sound like it would be my kind of thing with the exception of one post. It was from Mr. Suhr himself and he said it sounded like I liked the amp the way it was (I do) and that modding an amp for the sake of modding it isn't necessarily a good idea (I agree). But my thinking is, even though I like the sound of the gain channel, if it can be better or closer to perfect for me, why not mod the amp.

Bringing this back to "thread specific", I would hate to mod ch.2 and have it affect my clean tone in any way. I hope Mikey's is an anomaly

7. countandduke

countandduke Member

I'll chime in here and say that I LOVE my OD-100 and it's totally stock. I WILL say a couple things about it both positive and negative.

The clean channel is without a doubt the greatest I have ever heard. Very big and warm sounding enough gain on tap for SRV type licks too. I WILL quickly mention that Scott Henderson's use of the RC Booster is a GREAT idea and I have had great luck with simply using an old NON-modded TS-9 (reissue). I dial in a volume boost with a little gain and dial the tone to maybe 10 o'clock or so. This is in conjunction with my volume being dialed down to 7 or 8 or so. This really is a great way to run the guitar as you have a little extra gain and tone when you need it.

When I use the TS-9 with the gain channel, I have had the same results. With the increased output of the ts-9, the gain channel really comes alive and has much more of the liquid tones I/we are looking for.

More later...........

Chris

8. bailnout

bailnout Member

I guess the "more later" will be the negative part ay Chris?

Like you I have had great results from a stock Tube Screamer with my OD-100 (TS10). My Crybaby never sounded better than it does through that amp too. Man, the OD-100 just loves pedals doesn't it?

But how can we help MikeyG with his problem? It's a shame he doesn't like the clean channel on his OD-100. I think it's the best part of the amp (along with the footswitchable boost on Ch.2, the effects loop return as a master volume and pretty much everything else :D )

9. countandduke

countandduke Member

Okay here goes. I played the OD-100 for a bit last night and came away more confused than before. First off, I called the shop and talked to a very nice guy (didn't get his name) he confirmed with "The Man" that taking out the outer 2 power tubes or the inner 2 power tubes WILL require you to use a different speaker out. I have a 16 ohm cabinet and would therefore need to use the 8 ohm out if I were to pull the output tubes. I am definitely going to try this as the amp is one loud monster and really sounds alot better with the volume up. He also mentioned (as some threads here have indicated) that pulling preamp tube 3 and replacing it might be an option. I think he also said tube 1 would change the tone as well but that was towards the end of my conversation with him and I was running out of RAM in my head.

I will say, that with my humbucker equipped guitar, channel 1 sounded odd when I had the gain around 7-8. The low notes starting mushing out and as SOON as I rolled back the volume, the tone sounded 10 times better!!! There may be something about having the guitar volume on 10. This is a good time to point out that with solid state amps or the line 6 modelling amps, it's the exact opposite!! My volume needs to be on 10...

This amp has TONS of tones inside it and I love that both channels are usable. Channel 2 still sounds a tad on the buzzy side but I can dial some of that out with the poweramp presence and may need to pull a tube or 2 but again, the amp sounds pretty damn good at a louder volume so the smoothness encountered at higher volume settings might just keep me from messing with it altogether.

I probably should get a Zendrive and a BB booster to go along with this amp. I DO like the idea of using an RC booster and may have to get one of those as well.

I have been flirting with getting another Flexi as I remember the Master volume allowing the user to dial in great tones at low levels. The Flexi also brought in the power tubes to a large degree and I think power tube distortion is MUCH MUCH nicer than preamp buzzy distortion. But once again, bring up the volume on the OD-100 and that sucker really comes alive!!!

My .02

Chris

10. bailnout

bailnout Member

I went to play my OD-100 last night after wailing away on my Ecstasy for a while. I'm using the L6 XTL in the loop of the Bogner to try and do something with that clean tone to try and make it warmer and fatter like the OD clean with no help. I can't tell you how frustrating that is. So I get tired of the Bogner and want to go to the OD. I switch everything over...speaker cab, cables to the POD for the loop, the input...I hit one chord and BAM, everything goes dark. It was just the transient attack of that one chord and the amp was dead. I checked the mains fuse, the one next to the power cord input, and sure enough, it's blown.

I wonder if that happened because of the levels that I had set on the inputs and outputs on the XTL.

So...I didn't get to play my OD last night! :FM I was going to do some sound clips to post on here today!! :BITCH

Oh, well. I went back to my Bogner Ecstasy on the blue channel in Plexi mode and jammed on at ear bleeding levels for about 2 more hours. Clip for that will be forthcoming on another thread somewhere!

Until then, I gotta get a fuse for this OD-100. I hope that's all that's wrong with it. It is an absolute monster!

11. shoe

shoe Member

As for the SH mod - from my recollection and experience it darkens the clean channel (to accomodate for the fact that Scott Henderson uses single coil pickups almost exclusively). If you use humbuckers you're going to prefer the stock clean channel.

Channel two on my OD100 is modded for the SE. I love it.

The best way to "tame" the beast is to not only use a jumper in the effects loop and utilized the effects send level knob, but ALSO to use a low impedance volume pedal. That has been the sercret to incredible controllable tones out of that amp.

Be sure to try the amp using both Vintage 30's and Eminence Governors. It's remarkable what a difference that can make in the overall response of the amp.

12. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

That's what I was hearing, much darker. I preferred the stock clean by a long, LONG shot.... but it sure does depend on your guitars/pickups, etc.

The SE mod was cool. It was a little darker, ALOT gainier, than the stock model. Several of my friends preferred the stock model, I think I prefer the SE.

13. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Bailnout,

I don't own the amp (I used to own the stock model, but no longer). I was just demoing a friend's SH/SE ....

Mike